Document Type : Original Article
Department of Food Science and Technology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, North Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Fisheries Science, Faculty of Marine Science and Technology, North Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Milk desserts are semi-solid complexes with a proteinaceous structure that are very popular among Iranian consumers. A milk dessert was prepared with whole milk, sugar, corn starch, gelatin, and Sargassum angustifolium powder (SAP). The effect of SAP (0, 0.4%, and 0.8%) on the physicochemical, microbial, and sensory properties of the milk dessert during 30 days of storage was evaluated. The results showed that acidity (0.18-0.21), dry matter (24.57%-24.80%), Brix (22.39-22.63), ash (0.86-0.89), fat (3.52%-3.80%), and protein content (4.05%-4.29%) of the milk dessert increased in the presence of SAP. The results showed that the stability and viscosity of samples containing SAP were higher than samples without this macroalgae. As the level of SAP increased, the color values, total viable bacterial count, and fungi population of the milk dessert samples changed significantly (p<0.05). Sensory property evaluation showed that the samples treated with 0.4% SAP had a proper general acceptance score on the 30th day. Finally, the T1-treated sample with 0.4% SAP was chosen as the best formulation for enriched milk dessert production.
- Morais EC, Lima GC, Morais AR, Bolini HMA. Prebiotic and diet/light chocolate dairy dessert: chemical composition, sensory profiling and relationship with consumer expectation. LWT–Food Science and Technology. 2015; 62: 424–430.
- Santini A. Nutraceuticals and functional foods: Is it possible and sustainable for bridging health and food?. Foods. 2022;11:1608.
- Babich O, Sukhikh S, Larina V, Kalashnikova O, Kashirskikh E, Prosekov A, Noskova S, Ivanova S, Fendri I, Smaoui S, Abdelkafi S, Michaud P, Dolganyuk V. Algae: Study of edible and biologically active fractions, their properties and applications. Plants. 2022;11:780.
- Lin P, Chen S, Zhong S. Nutritional and chemical composition of Sargassum zhangii and the physical and chemical characterization, binding bile acid, and cholesterol-lowering activity in HepG2 cells of its fucoidans. Foods.2022;11:1771.
- Tohamy M, Shaaban H, Ali M, Hassanian A. Effect of Spirulina platensis as nutrition source on the chemical, rheological and sensory properties of spreadable processed cheese. Journal of Biological Sciences. 2019;19: (1), 84-91.
- Agustini T, ruf W, Suzery M, Benjakul S. Application of Spirolina platensis on ice cream and soft cheese with respect to their natural and sensory perspectives. Journal of Technology. 2016; 78(4–2): 245–251.
- Islami Meshkenani A, Fadai Noghani V, Khosravi Darani K, Mazinani S. Investigating the effect of adding microalgae powder on some physicochemical and sensory properties of probiotic buttermilk containing mint powder. New Food Technologies Quarterly. 2014;2(6):59-70.
- Toliaty GH, BeigMohammadi Z, Labbeiki G. Feasibility study on dairy dessert production with Spirulina platensis and stevioside and investigation of its sensorial and physicochemical properties. Iranian Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2022;127(19):47-60.
- Aguilar-Raymundo VG, Vélez-Ruiz JF. Physicochemical and rheological properties of a dairy dessert enriched with chickpea flour. Foods. 2018;7(2):25.
- Ardalanian F, Fadaei V. Production of probiotic Doogh enriched with red ginseng extract. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology.2018;20:277-287.
- Li C, Song C, Kwok LY, Wang J, Dong Y, Yu H, Hou Q, Zhang H, Chen Influence of Lactobacillus plantarum on yogurt fermentation properties and subsequent changes during postfermentation storage. Journal of Dairy Science. 2016;100:2512-2525.
- Hashemi SMB, Shahidi F, Mortazavi SA, Milani E, Eshaghi Z. Synbiotic potential of Doogh supplemented with free and encapsulated Lactobacillus plantarum LS5 and Helianthus tuberosus inulin. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2015;52:4579-4585.
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran (ISIRI). (2012). Milk and milk products- Milk-based desserts-Specification and Test method. National Standard No. 14681. URL: https://standard.inso.gov.ir/StandardView.aspx?Id=35558&subject.
- Al-Thubiani, AS, Ahmad Khan M.S. The Prebiotic Properties of Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) Seeds in Stimulating Probiotic Lactobacillus. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology. 2017; 11:1675-1686.
- Kaur G, Goswami TK. Effect of stevia level on chemical, microbiological, and sensory properties of dairy dessert (rasgulla) at different storage periods and temperatures. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2019;44:1-9.
- Bchir B, Felfoul I, Bouaziz MA, Gharred T, Yaich H, Noumi E, Snoussi M, Bejaoui H, Kenzali Y, Blecker C, Attia H. Investigation of physicochemical, nutritional, textural, and sensory properties of yoghurt fortified with fresh and dried Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis). International Food Research Journal. 2019;26(5):1565-1576.
- Tarrega A, Duran L, Costell E. Flow behaviour of semi-solid dairy desserts. Effect of temperature. International Dairy 2004;14:345-353.
- Atallah AA, Morsy OM, Gemiel DG. (2020). Characterization of functional low-fat yogurt enriched with whey protein concentrate, Ca-caseinate and spirulina. International Journal of Food Properties. 2020; 23: 1678-1691.
- Bosnea L, Terpou A, Pappa E, Kondyli E, Mataragkas M, Markou G, Katsaros G. Incorporation of Spirulina platensis on traditional Greek soft cheese with respect to its nutritional and sensory perspectives. Proceedings. 2021;70(1): 99-104.
- Choobkar N, Garmakhany AD, Aghajani AR, Ataee M. Response surface optimization of pudding formulation containing fish gelatin and clove (Syzygium aromaticum) and cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum) powder: Effect on color, physicochemical, and sensory attributes of the final pudding product. Food Science & Nutrition. 2022;10:1257-1274.
- Garcia-Oliveira P, Carreira-Casais A, Caleja C, Pereira E, Calhelha RC, Sokovic M, Simal-Gandara J, Ferreira ICFR, Angel Prieto M, Barros L. Macroalgae as an alternative source of nutrients and compounds with bioactive potential. Proceedings. 2021;70:46.
- Alam F, Nawab A, Abbas T, Kazimi M, Hasnain A. Effect of taro starch-hydrocolloids mixture as a functional ingredient on the quality of milk dessert. Journal of Basic & Applied Sciences. 2015; 11: 255-260.
- Bierzunska P, Cais-Sokoli ́nska D, Yi git A. Storage stability of texture and sensory properties of yogurt with the addition of polymerized whey proteins. Foods. 2019;8(548): 1-9.
- Zarzycki P, Ciołkowska AE, Jabłon´ska-Rys E, Gustaw W. Rheological Properties of milk-based desserts with the addition of oat gum and κ-carrageenan. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2019;56(11):5107–5115.
- Agustini TW, Soetrisnanto D, Ma’ruf WF. Study on chemical, physical, microbiological and sensory of yoghurt enriched by Spirulina platensis. International Food Research Journal. 2017; 24(1): 367–371.
- Zheng J, Wu J, Dai Y, Kan J, Zhang F. Influence of bamboo shoot dietary fiber on the rheological and textural properties of milk pudding. LWT – Food Science and Technology. 2017;84:364-369.
- Hong H, Son YJ, Kwon SH, Kim SK. (2020). Biochemical and antioxidant activity of yogurt supplemented with paprika juice of different colors. Food Science of Animal Resources. 2020;40(4):613-627.
- Secim Y, Ucar G. Microbiological quality of some milky sweets offered for consumption in the city center of Konya and manufactured experimentally. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 2014;13(1):56-61.
- Jadhav AS, Raut PD. Evaluation of microbiological quality of ice creams marketed in Kolhapur city, Maharashtra, India. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied 2014;3(9):78-84.
- Jalalvand P, Lavasani ASH, Evazzadeh A. Investigating the physicochemical, microbial and sensory properties of probiotic buttermilk containing watercress gum and Spirulina platensis algae. Journal of Innovation in Food Science and Technology. 2022;14:133-146.