Document Type : Original Article
Department of Food Science and Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tehran Medical Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Food Science and Technology, Varamin-Pishva Branch, Islamic Azad University, Varamin, Iran
Department of Food Technologies Group, Department of Chemical Engineering, Iranian Research Organization for Science & Technology (IROST), Tehran, Iran
Department of Food, Halal and Agricultural Products Research Group, Food Technology and Agricultural Products Research Center, Standard Research Institute (SRI), Karaj, Iran
Research Center of Food Technology and Agricultural Products, Standard Research Institute (SRI), Karaj, Iran
Ferulago angulata is a plant known for its phenolic compounds with antioxidant activity. This study aimed to evaluate the flavonoid content antioxidant, and antibacterial properties of F. angulata extract obtained through maceration and ultrasound-assisted extraction methods. Optimal extraction conditions for flavonoid content were determined. The maceration method yielded the highest flavonoid content (276.45 µg QE/ml) with 4 hours of extraction, 250 rpm stirring speed, and 100% ethanol solvent. The ultrasound-assisted method achieved maximum flavonoid content (375.12 µg QE/ml) with 15 minutes of extraction, 140 rpm stirring speed, and 100% ethanol solvent. The maceration extraction method showed the largest inhibition zone diameter, particularly against Staphylococcus aureus, a gram-positive bacterium, indicating strong antibacterial activity. The smallest inhibition zone diameter was observed against Escherichia coli, a gram-negative bacterium. The extraction method significantly influenced the antibacterial properties of the extracts. These findings contribute to understanding the potential applications of F. angulata as a natural source of antioxidants and antibacterial agents.
- Karmali MA. Infection by verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 1989;2:15–38.
- Shi J, Nawaz H, Pohorly J, Mittal G. Extraction of polyphenolics from plant material for functional foods–engineering and technology. Food Reviews International. 2005;21: 1–12.
- Park TD, Adams DA, Zhou K, Harris M, Yu L. Fatty acid composition and oxidative stability of cold-pressed edible seed oils. Journal of Food Science. 2000;68: 41240–1243.
- Raghavendra H, Vijayananda B, Madhumathi G, Hiremath A. In vitro antioxidant activity of Vitex negundo Leaf extracts. Chiang Mai Journal of Science. 2010;37(3): 489-497.
- Sazegar MR, Banakar A, Bahrami N, Bahrami A, Baghbani M, Nematolahi P, Mottaghi M. determination of the antioxidant activity and stability of Chamomile (Matricaria chamimilla) extract in sunflower oil. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2011;12(9): 1500-1504.
- Sathishkumar R, Lakshmi PT V, Annamalai A. Effect of drying treatment on the content of antioxidants in Enicostemma littorale blume. Research Journal of Medicinal Plant. 2009;3(3): 93-101.
- Hadjiakhoondi A, Aghel N, Etemadi R. Chemical and biological study of essential oil of Ferulago macrocarpa (Fenzi) Boiss. Hamdard Medicine. 2002;45: 35-38.
- Ghasempour HR, Shirinpour E, Heidari H. The constituents of essential oils of angulata (Schlecht) Boiss. at two different habitats, Nevakoh and Shahoo, Zagross mountain, western Iran. Iran Journal of Science and Technology. 2007;31: 309–312.
- Ebrahimzadeh MA, Nabavi SM, Nabavi SF, Eslam B, Ehsanifar S. Antioxidant activity of Hyoscyamus squarrosus Pharmacology Online. 2009;644-650.
- Ghorbani M, Aboonajmi M, Ghorbani Javid M, Arabhosseini A. Effect of ultrasound extraction conditions on yield and antioxidant properties of the fennel seed (Foeniculum vulgare) extract. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2016;67(14): 63-72.
- Zhang QW, Lin LG, Ye WC. Techniques for extraction and isolation of natural products: A comprehensive review. Chinese Medicine. 2018;13:1-26.
- Joshi B, Lekhak S, Sharma A. Antibacterial property of different medicinal plants: Ocimum sanctum, Cinnamomum zeylanicum, Xanthoxylum armatum and Origanum majorana. Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2009;5(1): 143-50.
- Luque-Garcia JL, Luque de Castro MD. Ultrasound: A powerful tool for leaching. Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 2003;22: 41-47.
- Shotipruk A, Kaufman PB, Wang HY. Feasibility study of repeated harvesting of menthol from biologically viable menthaxpiperata using ultrasonic extraction. Biotechnology Progress. 2001;17(5):924-8.
- Vilkhu K, Mawson R, Simons L, Bates D. "Applications and opportunities for ultrasound assisted extraction in the food industry—A review". Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. 2008;9(2): 161-169.
- Alizadeh Behbahani B, Shahidi F, Tabatabaei Yazdi F, Mohebbi M. Antifungal effect of aqueous and ethanolic mangrove plant extract on pathogenic fungus “in vitro”. International Journal of Agronomy and Plant Production. 2013;4: 1652-8.
- Tabatabaei Yazdi F, Alizade Behbahani B, Heidari Sureshjani M. The comparison of antimicrobial effects of Chevil (Ferulago angulata) extract with a variety of common therapeutic antibiotics in vitro. Journal of Arak University of Medical Sciences. 2014;17(3): 35-46.
- Martino E, Ramaiola I, Urbano M. Microwave-assisted extraction of coumarin and related compounds from Melilotus officinalis (L.) Pallas Alternative to Soxhlet and ultrasound-assisted extraction. Journal of Chromatography A. 2006;1125: 147-151.
- Chang C, Yang M, Wen H, Chern J. Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods. Journal of Food and Drug Analysis. 2002;10: 178-182.
- Awoyinka OA, Balogun IO, Ogunnowo AA. Phytochemical screening and in vitro bioactivity of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius (Euphorbiaceae). Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2007;1(3): 63-65.
- Harikrishnan R, Nisha RM, Balasundaram C. Hematological and biochemical parameters in common carp, Cyprinus carpio, following herbal treatment for Aeromonas hydrophila Aquaculture. 2003;221(1-4): 41-50.
- Del Rio D, Rodriguez-Mateos A, Spencer JP, Tognolini M, Borges G, Crozier A. Dietary (poly)phenolics in human health: structures, bioavailability, and evidence of protective effects against chronic diseases. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling. 2013;18(14):1818-92.
- Wang TY, Li Q, Bi KS. Bioactive flavonoids in medicinal plants: Structure, activity and biological fate. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018;13(1):12-23.
- Alara OR, Abdurahman NH, Ukaegbu CI. Extraction of phenolic compounds: A review. Current Research in Food Science. 2021 Jan 1;4:200-14.
- Akowuah GA, Ismail Z, Norhayati I, Sadikun A. The effects of different extraction solvents of varying polarities on polyphenols of Orthosiphon stamineus and evaluation of the free radical-scavenging activity. Food Chemistry. 2005;93(2):311-7.
- Saltarelli R, Palma F, Gioacchini AM, Calcabrini C, Mancini U, De Bellis R, Stocchi V, Potenza L. Phytochemical composition, antioxidant and antiproliferative activities and effects on nuclear DNA of ethanolic extract from an Italian mycelial isolate of Ganoderma lucidum. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2019;231:464-73.
- Lobiuc A, Pavăl NE, Mangalagiu II, Gheorghiță R, Teliban GC, Amăriucăi-Mantu D, Stoleru V. Future antimicrobials: Natural and functionalized phenolics. Molecules. 2023;28(3):1114.
- Vergis J, Gokulakrishnan P, Agarwal RK, Kumar A. Essential oils as natural food antimicrobial agents: A review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2015;55(10):1320-3.
- Majnuni MB, Abiri R, Malek Khatabi P, Adibi H. Antimicrobial effects of hydro alcoholic leaf and Trigonella foenum seeds on different bacterial strains. Journal of Laboratory Medicine. 2009;3(2): 31-5.