Document Type : Original Article
Department of Food Science and Technology, Sabzevar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Sabzevar, Iran
University of Applied Science and Technology, Center of Cheshme Noshan Khorasan (Alis), Mashhad, Iran
In this research, the variables of oat flour (5, 10 and 15%) and date liquid sugar from Kaluteh dates (10, 20 and 30%) were used instead of wheat flour and sugar respectively to reduce energy intake. Cookie properties including technological indicators, crust color components and sensory characteristics were investigated. The linear effect of oat flour significantly affected moisture and porosity (p<0.0001), while the quadratic effect of date liquid sugar only affected specific volume (p<0.05). The interaction effect showed moisture and texture first increased then decreased with higher levels of both variables, while specific volume and porosity showed the opposite trend. The linear effect of oat flour decreased L* and increased a* and b* color components, while the quadratic effect of date liquid sugar increased a* and b*. The interaction effect significantly increased taste and overall acceptance in sensory evaluation. The optimal formulations were determined as 7.29% oat flour and 28.710% date liquid sugar.
- Park J, Chio I, Kim Y. Cookies formulated from fresh okara using starch, soy flour and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose have high quality and nutritional value. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2015;63(1):660-666.
- Fazel A, Pedram Nia A, Jalali M. Investigation on the effect of using oatmeal and date liquid sugar on the chemical and sensory properties of local Sabzevar cookies. Journal of Food Science and Technology (Iran). 2022;18(120):215-227.
- Fischer T, Och U, Marquardt T. Long-term ketone body therapy of severe multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: A case report. Nutrition. 2019;60:122-128.
- Webster FH. Oats: Chemistry and Technology. AACC International; 2010. ISBN-13: 978-1891127649.
- Wood PJ, Arrigoni E, Shea Miller S, Amandò R. Fermentability of oat and wheat fractions enriched in β-glucan using human fecal inoculation. Cereal Chemistry. 2002;79(3):445-454.
- Colleoni-Sirghieigor M, Kovalenko IV, Briggs JL, Fulton DB, White PJ. Rheological and molecular properties of water soluble (1,3) (1,4)-β-D-glucans from high-β-glucan and traditional oat lines. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2003;52(4):439-447.
- Ekholm P, Virkki L, Ylinen M, Johansson L. The effects of phytic acid and some natural chelating agents on the solubility of mineral elements in oat bran. Food Chemistry. 2003;80(2):165-170.
- Lambo AM, Öste R, Nyman MEG. Dietary fiber in fermented oat and barley ß-glucan rich concentrates. Food Chemistry. 2005;89(2):283-293.
- Sabet Ghadam M, Saeedi Asl MR, Sharifi A, Armin M, Pedram Nia A. Effect of fat replacement with apple pomace fiber on the chemical and textural properties of the cake. Journal of Food Science and Technology (Iran). 2022;18(119):259-274.
- Ayoubi A, Porabolghasem M. Substituting sugar with date syrup in cupcake. Iranian Food Science and Technology Research Journal. 2018;13(5):808-819.
- Jalali M, Atayesalehi E, Hadad Khodaparast MH. Evaluation of effective factors on juice extraction process from variety of date-palm fruit kaluteh and optimization using response surface methodology. Iranian Food Science and Technology Research Journal. 2012;8(3):327-336.
- Tufail F, Pasha I, Butt MS, Abbas N, Afzaal S. Use of date syrup in the preparation of low caloric cakes replacing sucrose. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2002;39(2):149-153.
- Abbès F, Bouaziz MA, Blecker C, Masmoudi M, Attia H, Besbes S. Date syrup: Effect of hydrolytic enzymes (pectinase/cellulase) on physico-chemical characteristics, sensory and functional properties. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2011;44(8):1827-1834.
- Jalali M, Hadad Khodaparast MH, Jahed E. Clarification of date varieties Kaluteh juice using bentonite and gelatin. Iranian Food Science and Technology Research Journal. 2014;10(3):284-290.
- American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN. 2000. (10th ed.). Vol. 2.
- Haralick RM, Shanmugam K, Dinstein I. Textural Features for Image Classification. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. 1973;3(6):610-621.
- Pourfarzad A, Haddad Khodaparast MH, Karimi M, Mortazavi SA, Ghiafeh Davoodi M, Hematian Sourki A, Razavizadegan Jahromi SH. Effect of polyols on shelf-life and quality of flat bread fortified with soy flour. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 2011;34(5):1435-1448.
- Sun D. Computer vision technology for food quality evaluation. New York: Academic Press; 2008.
- Yaseen AAF, El-Hafeez A, Shouk AA, talat Ramadan M. Corn-wheat pan bread quality as affected by hydrocolloids. Journal of American Science. 2010;6(10):684-790.
- Lee S, Inglett GE. Rheological and physical evaluation of jet-cooked oat bran in low calorie cookies. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 2006;41(5):553-559.
- Blanco Canalis MS, León AE, Ribotta PD. Incorporation of dietary fiber on the cookie dough. Effects on thermal properties and water availability. Food Chemistry. 2019;271:309-317.
- Hashemiravan M, Dadkhah A, Seyedain-Ardebili M. Effects of shortening replacement with Nutrim oat bran on pH, specific volume, hardness and sensory properties of shortened cake. Journal of Food Research. 2013;23(1):97-106.
- Kocer D, Hicsasmaz Z, Bayindirli A, Katnas S. Bubble and pore formation of the high-ratio cake formulation with polydextrose as a sugar- and fat-replacer. Journal of Food Engineering. 2007;78(3):953-964.
- Manisha G, Soumya C, Indrani D. Studies on interaction between stevioside, liquid sorbitol, hydrocolloids and emulsifiers for replacement of sugar in cakes. Food Hydrocolloids. 2012;29(2):363-373.
- Gallagher E, Kunkel A, Gormley TR, Arendt EK. The effect of dairy and rice powder addition on loaf and crumb characteristics and shelf life (intermediate and long term) of gluten-free bread stored in modified atmosphere. European Food Research and Technology. 2003;218(1):44-48.
- Baixauli R, Sanz T, Salvador A, Fiszman SM. Muffins with resistant starch: Baking performance in relation to the rheological properties of the batter. Journal of Cereal Science. 2008;47(3):502-509.
- Sahraiyan B, Naghipour F, Karimi M, Ghiafe Davoodi M. Evaluation of Lepidium sativum seed and guar gum to improve dough rheology and quality parameters in composite rice-wheat bread. Food Hydrocolloids. 2013;30(2):698-703.
- Majzoobi M, Habibi M, Hedayati S, Ghiasi F, Farahnaky A. Effects of commercial oat fiber on characteristics of batter and sponge cake. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2015;17(1):99-107.
- Sheikhzadeh V, Haddad Khodaparast MH, Ataye Salehi A. Effect of sugar substitution with date palm puree on crumb color and porosity of fried doughnuts by image processing. Shiraz, Iran: 21st National Congress on Food Science and Technology; 2013.
- Ribotta PD, Bail AL. Thermo-physical assessment of bread during staling. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2007;40(5):879-884.
- Majzoobi M, Mansouri H, Mesbahi Gh, Farahnaky A, Golmakani MT. Effects of sucrose substitution with date syrup and date liquid sugar on the physicochemical properties of dough and biscuits. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2016;18(3):643-656.
- Raei P, Peighambardoust H, Azadmard-Damirchi S, Olad Ghaffari A. Effect of replacement of sucrose with date syrup on the quality characteristics of sponge cake. Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology. 2016;11(1):87-94.
- Hasanpour Y, Naghi pour F, Faraji A. Investigation on increasing the shelf life of semi volume composite barbari bread containing oatmeal flour by balangu seed gum. Journal of Innovation in Food Science and Technology. 2020;12(2):121-133.
- Duta DE, Culetu A. Evaluation of rheological, physicochemical, thermal, mechanical and sensory properties of oat-based gluten free cookies. Journal of Food Engineering. 2015;162:1-8.
- Majzoobi M, Karambakhsh G, Golmakani MT, Mesbahi GR, Farahnaky A. Chemical composition and functional properties of date press cake, an agro-industrial waste. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2019;21(7):1807-1817.
- Mansouri Tehrani NS, Farahnaky A, Majzoobi M, Badii F. The effect of maltodextrin antiplasticizer on the absorption isotherm of date juice powder. Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran: 21st National Congress of Food Science and Technology; 2013.
- Gómez M, Moraleja A, Oliete B, Ruiz E, Caballero PA. Effect of fiber size on the quality of fiber-enriched layer cakes. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2010;43(1):33-38.
- Sandrou DK, Arvanitoyannis IS. Low-fat/calorie foods: current state and perspectives. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2000;40(5):427-447.
- Koliandris A, Lee A, Ferry A, Hill S, Mitchell J. Relationship between structure of hydrocolloid gels and solutions and flavour release. Food Hydrocolloids. 2008;22(4):623-630.
- Taylor AJ, Besnard S, Puaud M, Linforth RST. In vivo measurement of flavour release from mixed phase gels. Biomolecular Engineering. 2001;17(4-5):143-150.
- Mohebbi Z, Homayouni A, Azizi MH, Hosseini SJ. Effects of beta-glucan and resistant starch on wheat dough and prebiotic bread properties. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2018;55(1):101-110.
- Yildiz Ö, Yurt B, Baştürk A, Toker ÖS, Yilmaz MT, Karaman S, Dağlıoğlu O. Pasting properties, texture profile and stress–relaxation behavior of wheat starch/dietary fiber systems. Food Research International. 2013;53(1):278-290.