Document Type : Original Article
Department of the Food Science and Technology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Pharmaceutical Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Agricultural mechanization, Faculty of Agriculture and Food Technology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
This study aimed to produce gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the nervous system, from Lactobacillus brevis IBRC 10818 using microbial biosynthesis and ultrasonic shock. Microbial biosynthesis is one of the best production methods compared to chemical synthesis. The response surface methodology (RSM) was used to optimize and model the GABA production under the influence of four shock factors: ultrasonic intensity, ultrasonic time, incubation period, and monosodium glutamate (MSG) concentration. The shock was applied during the lag phase. The optimal conditions for maximum GABA production were predicted to be 2.98 % MSG, 70.8 h incubation time, 6.30 min shock time, and 33 kHz frequency. Under these conditions, the GABA production was 266.19 mg/L, which was close to the predicted value of 212.2 mg/L. The model prediction was suitable with a high coefficient of determination (R2=0.96).
- Park KB, Oh S-H. Isolation and characterization of Lactobacillus buchneri strains with high γ-aminobutyric acid producing capacity from naturally aged cheese. Food Science and Biotechnology. 2006;15(1):86-90.
- Chen MJ, Tang HY, Chiang ML. Effects of heat, cold, acid and bile salt adaptations on the stress tolerance and protein expression of kefir-isolated probiotic Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens Food Microbiology. 2017;66:20-7.
- de la Fuente B, Luz C, Puchol C, Meca G, Barba FJ. Evaluation of fermentation assisted by Lactobacillus brevis POM, and Lactobacillus plantarum (TR-7, TR-71, TR-14) on antioxidant compounds and organic acids of an orange juice-milk based beverage. Food Chemistry. 2021;343:128414.
- Zhu W, Lyu F, Naumovski N, Ajlouni S, Ranadheera CS. Functional efficacy of probiotic Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis in apple, orange and tomato juices with special reference to storage stability and in vitro gastrointestinal survival. Beverages. 2020;6(1):13.
- Dawan J, Ahn J. Bacterial stress responses as potential targets in overcoming antibiotic resistance. Microorganisms. 2022;10(7):1385.
- Zhou H, Rao Z, Zhang Z, Zhou J. Function of the GABAergic system in diabetic encephalopathy. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology. 2023;43(2):605-19.
- Patil SB, Khan M. Germinated brown rice as a value added rice product: A review. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2011;48(6):661-7.
- Sun T, Zhao S, Wang H, Cai C, Chen Y, Zhang H. ACE-inhibitory activity and gamma-aminobutyric acid content of fermented skim milk by Lactobacillus helveticus isolated from Xinjiang koumiss in China. European Food Research and Technology. 2009;228(4):607-12.
- Tujioka K, Ohsumi M, Horie K, Mujo K, Hayase K, Yokogoshi H. Dietary γ-aminobutyric acid affects the brain protein synthesis rate in ovariectomized female rats. Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology. 2009;55(1):75-80.
- Diana M, Quílez J, Rafecas M. Gamma-aminobutyric acid as a bioactive compound in foods: a review. Journal of Functional Foods. 2014;10:407-20.
- Chew BL, Seymour GB. The effects of glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) RNAi knockout in tissue cultured transgenic tomato (Solanum lycopersicum). Plant Omics. 2013;6(1):13-7.
- Hashemi SMB, Mousavi Khaneghah A, Saraiva JA, Jambrak AR, Barba FJ, Mota MJ. Effect of ultrasound on lactic acid production by Lactobacillus strains in date (Phoenix dactylifera Kabkab) syrup. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2018;102(6):2635-44.
- Lejars M, Hajnsdorf E. RNase III participates in the adaptation to temperature shock and oxidative stress in Escherichia coli. Microorganisms. 2022;10(4):699.
- Lee B-J, Kim J-S, Kang YM, Lim J-H, Kim Y-M, Lee M-S, et al. Antioxidant activity and γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) content in sea tangle fermented by Lactobacillus brevis BJ20 isolated from traditional fermented foods. Food Chemistry. 2010;122(1):271-6.
- Behzadnia A, Moosavi-Nasab M, Tiwari BK. Stimulation of biosurfactant production by Lactobacillus plantarum using ultrasound. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry. 2019;59:104724.
- Le PH, Verscheure L, Le TT, Verheust Y, Raes K. Implementation of HPLC analysis for γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in fermented food matrices. Food Analytical Methods. 2020;13(5):1190-201.
- Rashmi D, Zanan R, John S, Khandagale K, Nadaf A. γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA): biosynthesis, role, commercial production, and applications. Studies in Natural Products Chemistry. 2018;57:413-52.
- Zarei F, Nateghi L, Eshaghi MR, Abadi ME. Production of Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in whey protein drink during fermentation by Lactobacillus plantarum. Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences. 2020;9(6):1087-92.
- Di Cagno R, Mazzacane F, Rizzello CG, De Angelis M, Giuliani G, Meloni M, De Servi B, Gobbetti M. Synthesis of γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) by Lactobacillus plantarum DSM19463: functional grape must beverage and dermatological applications. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2010;86:731-41.
- Higuchi T, Hayashi H, Abe K. Exchange of glutamate and gamma-aminobutyrate in a Lactobacillus strain. Journal of Bacteriology. 1997;179(10):3362-4.
- Komatsuzaki N, Nakamura T, Kimura T, Shima J. Characterization of glutamate decarboxylase from a high γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-producer, Lactobacillus paracasei. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 2008;72(2):278-85.
- Ranjan A, Singh S, Malani RS, Moholkar VS. Ultrasound-assisted bioalcohol synthesis: review and analysis. RSC Advances. 2016;6(70):65541-62.
- Hong D-K, Jung S-E, Lee M-H, Lee H-J, Lee J-H, Na G-N, et al. Shelf-life extension and increase in survivability of probiotics powder by ultrasonic treatment. Journal of Milk Science and Biotechnology. 2018;36(4):220-5.
- Cho S-K, Jeong M-W, Choi Y-K, Shin J, Shin SG. Effects of low-strength ultrasonication on dark fermentative hydrogen production: Start-up performance and microbial community analysis. Applied Energy.2018;219:34-41.
- Gholamhosseinpour A, Hashemi SMB. Ultrasound pretreatment of fermented milk containing probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum AF1: Carbohydrate metabolism and antioxidant activity. Journal of Food Processing and Engineering. 2019;42(1).