Document Type : Original Article
Department of Food Science and Technology, Shahrood Branch, Islamic Azad University, Shahrood, Iran
Department of Food Quality Control and Hygiene, Science and Research Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Food Safety and Hygiene, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
The present study was performed to investigate the effect of nettle hydroalcoholic extract (NE) with edible sodium alginate (SA) coating on the quality of rainbow trout fillet (Oncorhynchus mykiss) during a 12-day refrigeration period (4±1˚C). NE was extracted by ethanol solvent and the chemical compounds of NE were determined. Experiments were performed on 4 treatments (T1: control treatment, T2: SA 2%, T3: SA+NE 0.5% and T4: SA+NE 1%) in three replications. The results of chemical tests performed in comparison with the control sample showed that the samples containing the SA and NE were able to control the increase of chemical and microbial parameters (p<0.05). At the end of the storage period, the lowest amount of peroxide value, thiobarbituric acid and total volatile basic nitrogen, and the lowest amounts of lactic acid-producing bacteria, total bacterial count, psychrotrophic values were observed in SA+NE 1% (p<0.05). The results of the sensory evaluation showed that the mentioned treatment maintained the quality of the fillet until the end of the storage period. In general, edible coating of SA with NE can delay the process of lipid oxidation and microbial spoilage and maintain or improve the sensory properties of refrigerated fish fillets.
- Nagarajan M, Rajasekaran B, Benjakul S, Venkatachalam K. Influence of CH-gelatin edible coating incorporated with longkong pericarp extract on refrigerated black tiger Shrimp (Penaeus monodon). Current Research in Food Science. 2021;4,345-53.
- Khadem P, Motalebi A, Rokni N, Razavilar V. Effects of Capparis spinosa root extract and modiﬁed atmosphere packaging on the shelf life of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) ﬁllets by measuring of antioxidant and antimicrobial parameters. Iranian Journal of Fisheries Science. 2020;19(1):272-85.
- Shakour N, Khoshkhoo Z, Akhondzadeh Basti A, Khanjari A, Mahasti Shotorbani P. Investigating the properties of PLA-nanochitosan composite films containing Ziziphora Clinopodioides essential oil and their impacts on oxidative spoilage of Oncorhynchus mykiss Food Science and Nutrition. 2021;00:1–13.
- Mozaffarzogh M, Misaghi A, Shahbazi Y, Kamkar A. Evaluation of probiotic carboxymethyl cellulose-sodium caseinate films and their application in extending shelf life quality of fresh trout fillets. LWT-Food Science and Technology.2020; 126:109305.
- Wu M, Cao Y, Lei S, Liu Y, Wang J, Hu J, Yu H. Protein structure and sulfhydryl group changes affected by protein gel properties: process of thermalinduced gel formation of myofibrillar protein. International Journal of Food Properties. 2019;22(1):1834–47.
- Zhang Z, Xia G, Yang Q, Fan X, Lyu S. Effects of chitosan-based coatings on storage quality of Chinese shrimp. Food Science and Nutrition. 2019;7(12):4085–94.
- Afshar Mehrabi F, Sharifi A, Ahvazi M. Effect of chitosan coating containing Nepeta pogonosperma extract on shelf life of chicken fillets during chilled storage. Food Science and Nutrition. 2021;9,4518–29.
- Ghaima K K, Hashim N M, Ali S A. Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of ethyl acetate extract of nettle (Urtica dioica) and dandelion (Taraxacum officinale). Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2013;3(5):96–9.
- Johnson T A, Sohn J, Inman W D, Bjeldanes L F, Rayburn K. Lipophilic stinging nettle extracts possess potent anti-inflammatory activity, are not cytotoxic and may be superior to traditional tinctures for treating inflammatory disorders. Phytomedicine. 2013;20(2):143–7.
- Moawad R, Abdelmonem El-Banna H, Saleh Mohamed O, Aboelsood Ibrahim V. Improving the Quality and Shelf-life of Refrigerated Japanese Quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica) Carcasses by Oregano/Citrate Dipping. Journal of Biological Sciences. 2018;18,389–98.
- Valipour Kootenaie F, Ariaii P, Khademi Shurmasti D, Nemati M. Effect of CH edible coating enriched with eucalyptus essential oil and α-tocopherol on silver carp fillets quality during refrigerated storage. Journal of Food Safety. 2017;37(1):12295.
- Cazon P, Velazquez G, Ramirez J A, Vazquez, M. Polysaccharide-based films and coatings for food packaging: A review. Food Hydrocolloids. 2017;68,136-48.
- Sáez M I, Suárez M D, Martínez T F. Effects of alginate coating enriched with tannins on shelf life of cultured rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fillets. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2020;118,108767.
- Majdinasab, M.; Hosseini, S.M.H.; Sepidname, M.; Negahdarifar, M.; Li, P. Development of a novel colorimetric sensor based on alginate beads for monitoring rainbow trout spoilage. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2018;55,1695–704.
- Heydari R, Bavandi S, Javadian S H. Effect of sodium alginate coating enriched with horsemint (Mentha longifolia) essential oil on the quality of bighead carp fillets during storage at 4°C. Food Sciences and Nutrition. 2014;3,188–94.
- Kazemi S M, Rezaei M. Antimicrobial effectiveness of gelatin–alginate film containing oregano essential oil for fish preservation. Journal of Food Safety. 2015;35,482–90.
- Iqbal MS, Ghafoor A, Abbasi FM, Qureshi AS, Ahmad H. Study of nutritional characteristics, mineral nutrients and agro-biodiversity in black cumin (Nigella sativa) genotypes from Pakistan. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2011;26,10(66):14757-66.
- Mousavi S, Dastpak A. Subcritical water extraction of fennel seeds essential oil and comparison with hydrodistillation. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2019;16 (91):119-28.
- Ordoñez A AL, Gomez J D, Vattuone M A,lsla M I. Antioxidant activities of sechiumedule (Jacq) Swartz extracts. Food Chemistry. 2006;97,452-8.
- Hamedi H, Kargozari M, Mahasti-shotorbani P, Moghadam N B, Fahidmanesh M. A novel bioactive edible coating based on sodium alginate and GG incorporated with essential oil of Ziziphora persica: The antioxidant and antimicrobial activity, and application in food model. Food Hydrocolloids. 2017;72,35-46.
- Bagheri R, Izadi Amoli R, Tabari Shahndash N, Shahosseini S R. Comparing the effect of encapsulated and unencapsulated fennel extracts on the shelf life of minced common kilka (Clupeonella cultriventris caspia) and Pseudomonas aeruginosa inoculated in the mince. Food Science and Nutrition. 2016;4(2):216–22.
- Habibi Lahigi S, Amini K, Moradi P, Asaadi K. 'Investigating the chemical composition of different parts extracts of bipod nettle Urtica dioica in Tonekabon region'. Iranian Journal of Plant Physiology. 2011;2(1):339–42.
- Moradi P, Amiri K. Extraction and Identification of Urtica dioica L Extract and Its Antibacterial and Antifungal Properties. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Science. 2017;22(151):74-85.
- Rashidaie Abandansarie S S, Ariaii P, Charmchian Langerodi M. Effects of encapsulated rosemary extract on oxidative and microbiological stability of beef meat during refrigerated storage. Food Science and Nutrition. 2019;7,3969–78.
- Bourgeois C. Leclerc É A, Corbin C, Doussot J, Serrano V, Vanier J R, Seigneuret J M, Auguin D, Pichon C, Lainé É. Nettle (Urtica dioica) as a source of antioxidant and anti-aging phytochemicals for cosmetic applications. Comptes Rendus Chimie. 2016;19,1090–100.
- Mzid M, Ben Khedir S, Ben Salem M, Regaieg W, Rebai T. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of ethanol and aqueous extracts from Urtica urens. Pharmaceutical biology. 2017;55(1):775–81.
- Abu-Reidah IM, Arráez-Román D, Segura-Carretero A, Fernández-Gutiérrez A. Extensive characterisation of bioactive phenolic constituents from globe artichoke (Cynara scolymus L.) by HPLC-DAD-ESI-QTOF-MS. Food Chemistry. 2013;141,2269–77.
- Eslamian M, Ahmady M, Ariaii P, Golestan L, Ghorbani-HasanSaraei A G. Use composite coating of chitosan-chia seed gum enriched with microliposomes of Bay laurel essential oil to increase the shelf life of quail fillets. Food Science and Nutrition. 2021;00,1-14.
- Tometri S S, Ahmady M, Ariaii P. Extraction and encapsulation of Laurus nobilis leaf extract with nano-liposome and its effect on oxidative, microbial, bacterial and sensory properties of minced beef. Food Measurement and Characterization. 2020;14,33–44.
- Shokri S, Parastouei K, Taghdir M, Abbaszadeh S. Application an edible active coating based on CH- Ferulago angulata essential oil nanoemulsion to shelf-life extension of Rainbow trout fillets stored at 4 °C. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2020;153,846–54.
- Bazargani-Gilani B. Activating sodium alginate-based edible coating using a dietary supplement for increasing the shelf life of rainbow trout fillet during refrigerated storage (4± 1°C). Journal of Food Safety. 2018;38(1):e12395.
- Fadıloğlu E E, Emir Çoban Ö. Effects of chitosan edible coatings enriched with sumac on the quality and the shelf life of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss, Walbaum, 1792) fillets. Journal of Food Safety. 2018;e12545.
- Mohamed H M, Mansour H A. Incorporating essential oils of marjoram and rosemary in the formulation of beef patties manufactured with mechanically deboned poultry meat to improve the lipid stability and sensory attributes. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2012;45(1),79-87.
- Li Q, Zhang J, Zhang D, Sun T. Effect of a chitosan-alginate bilayer coating incorporated with lysozyme on quality of refrigerated turbot fillets. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 2021;792,012016.
- Song Y, Liu L, Shen H, You J, Luo Y. Effect of sodium alginate-based edible coating containing different anti-oxidants on quality and shelf life of refrigerated bream (Megalobrama amblycephala). Food Control. 2011;22,608–15.
- Jan Khan N, Khan Z, Sukhcharn S. Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica): a reservoir of nutrition and bioactive components with great functional. Journal Of Food Measurement and Characterization. 2017;11,423–33.
- Tajkarim M M, Ibrahim S A and Cliver D O. Antimicrobial herb and spice compounds in food. Food Control. 2010; 21:1199-18.
- Lalitharani S, Mohan V R, Regini G S. GC-MS analysis of ethanolic extract of Zanthoxylum rhetsa (roxb.) dc spines. Journal of Herbal Medicine and Toxicology. 2010;4(1):191-2.
- Jalali N, Ariiai P, Fattahi E. Effect of alginate/carboxyl methyl cellulose composite coating incorporated with clove essential oil on the quality of silver carp fillet and Escherichia coli O157:H7 inhibition during refrigerated storage. Journal of Food science and Technology. 2016;53(1):757–65.