Document Type : Original Article
- Neda Sallak 1
- Abbasali Motallebi Moghanjoughi 1
- Maryam Ataee 1
- Seyed Amir Ali Anvar 1
- Leila Golestan 2
1 Department of Food Hygiene, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Food Science and Technology, Ayatollah Amoli Branch, Islamic Azad University, Amol, Iran
Nowadays it seems necessary to replace synthetic plastics with biodegradable films in food packaging due to their major threats to human health and the environment. In this study corn starch film composed of Ag-TiO₂ nanocomposites and Satureja khuzestanica essential oil (SEO) were prepared and the antimicrobial, morphological, physical, and mechanical characteristics in chicken fillet packaging were assessed. The morphology of the films was investigated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The combination of energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX) with SEM analyzed the near-surface elements. The plain film showed higher WVP (2.82×10־⁷ g/m.h.Pa) than other films and the nano/essence film had the lowest moisture content% (21.6%). For determining the film's antimicrobial activity, chicken fillets were inoculated with Escherichia coli, Salmonella Typhimurium, and Staphylococcus aureus (separately with four prepared films). Microbial counting of the fillets was performed at three intervals (14 and 7th day) and the results showed a significant difference in reducing the number of microorganisms in nano/essence and essence films compared to the control group (chicken fillets packed in plastic bags) and plain film (at a rate of 1.5-2 log CFU/g). The rate of reduction of S. aureus was higher compared to S. Typhimurium and E. coli in the packing groups respectively. Sensory properties were also evaluated at three- intervals. The bio-polymer film incorporated with SEO and Ag-TiO₂ nanocomposites can be used for packaging foods and is able to delay microbial and physical spoilage in foodstuffs.
- Poultry Development Review; FAO: Rome Italy 2013; ISBN 978-92-5-108067-2.
- OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2016–2025; OECD (2016) Publishing: Paris France pp.25-70.
- Petrou S, Tsiraki M, Giatrakou V, Savvaidis IN. Chitosan dipping or oregano oil treatments, singly or combined on modified atmosphere packaged chicken breast meat. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2012 ;156(3):264-71.
- Latou E, Mexis SF, Badeka AV, Kontakos S, Kontominas MG. Combined effect of chitosan and modified atmosphere packaging for shelf-life extension of chicken breast fillets. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2014 ;55(1):263-8.
- Arkoun M, Daigle F, Holley RA, Heuzey MC, Ajji A. Chitosan‐based nanofibers as bioactive meat packaging materials. Packaging Technology and Science. 2018;31(4):185-95.
- Lee KT. Quality and safety aspects of meat products as affected by various physical manipulations of packaging materials. Meat Science. 2010;86(1):138-50.
- Dutta PK, Tripathi S, Mehrotra GK, Dutta J. Perspectives for chitosan based antimicrobial films in food applications. Food Chemistry. 2009;114(4):1173-82.
- Otoni CG, Espitia PJ, Avena-Bustillos RJ, McHugh TH. Trends in antimicrobial food packaging systems: Emitting sachets and absorbent pads. Food Research International. 2016; 83:60-73.
- Malhotra B, Keshwani A, Kharkwal H. Antimicrobial food packaging: Potential and pitfalls. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2015; 6:611.
- Yuan G, Chen X, Li D. Chitosan films and coatings containing essential oils: The antioxidant and antimicrobial activity, and application in food systems. Food Research International. 2016; 89:117-28.
- Hasheminya SM, Mokarram RR, Ghanbarzadeh B, Hamishekar H, Kafil HS, Dehghannya J. Development and characterization of biocomposite films made from kefiran, carboxymethyl cellulose and Satureja khuzestanica essential oil. Food Chemistry. 2019; 289:443-52.
- Ahmed J, Arfat YA, Bher A, Mulla M, Jacob H, Auras R. Active chicken meat packaging based on polylactide films and bimetallic Ag–Cu nanoparticles and essential oil. Journal of Food Science. 2018;83(5):1299-310.
- Azari A, Anvar SA, Ahari H, Sharifan A, Motallebi Moghanjoghi AA. Study on nanosilver-TiO2 photocatalytic nanocomposite coating with extrusion technique for increasing shelf life of Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Iranian Journal of Fisheries Sciences. 2020;19(5):2618-33.
- Sallak N, Moghanjoughi AM, Ataee M, Anvar A, Golestan L. Antimicrobial biodegradable film based on corn starch/Satureja khuzestanica essential oil/Ag–TiO2 nanocomposites. Nanotechnology. 2021;32(40):405703.
- Mazarei Z, Rafati H. Nanoemulsification of Satureja khuzestanica essential oil and pure carvacrol; comparison of physicochemical properties and antimicrobial activity against food pathogens. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2019; 100:328-34.
- Budiati T, Suryaningsih W, Umaroh S, Poerwanto B, Bakri A, Kurniawati E. Antimicrobial activity of essential oil from Indonesian medicinal plants against food-borne pathogens. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. IOP Publishing. 2018. p. 23-28.
- Boskovic M, Glisic M, Djordjevic J, Vranesevic J, Djordjevic V, Baltic MZ. Preservation of meat and meat products using nanoencapsulated thyme and oregano essential oils. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. IOP Publishing. 2019. 12-25.
- Adamczyk A, Rokita M. The structural studies of Ag containing TiO2–SiO2 gels and thin films deposited on steel. Journal of Molecular Structure. 2016; 1114:171-80.
- Salarbashi D, Tafaghodi M, Heydari-Majd M. Fabrication of curcumin-loaded soluble soybean polysaccharide/TiO2 bio-nanocomposite for improved antimicrobial activity. Nanomedicine Journal. 2020;7(4):291-8.
- Zargar S, Akhondzadeh Basti A, Khanjari A. The effect of gelatin films containing Pimpinella anisum essential oil on the microbial and chemical properties of minced beef. Food & Health. 2019; 3(1): 32-38.
- Kargozari M, Hamedi H, Amir Amirnia S, Montazeri A, Abbaszadeh S. Effect of bioactive edible coating based on sodium alginate and coriander (Coriandrum sativum) essential oil on the quality of refrigerated chicken fillet. Food & Health. 2018;1(3):30-8.
- Shojaee-Aliabadi S, Hosseini H, Mohammadifar MA, Mohammadi A, Ghasemlou M, Ojagh SM, Hosseini SM, Khaksar R. Characterization of antioxidant-antimicrobial κ-carrageenan films containing Satureja hortensis essential oil. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2013; 52:116-24.
- Stauffer E, Lentini JJ. ASTM standards for fire debris analysis: a review. Forensic Science International. 2003;132(1):63-7.
- Kanmani P, Rhim JW. Properties and characterization of bionanocomposite films prepared with various biopolymers and ZnO nanoparticles. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2014; 106:190-9.
- ASTM D. 4377 (2002) Standard Test Method for Water in Crude Oils by Potentiometric Karl Fischer Titration Annual Book of ASTM Standards;11.05 (West Conshocken Philadelphia USA: American Society for Testing and Materials International)
- Ibrahim S, El-Khawas KM. Development of eco-environmental nano-emulsified active coated packaging material. Journal of King Saud University-Science. 2019;31(4):1485-90.
- Babolanimogadam N, Khanjari A, Akhondzadeh Basti A, Sajjadi Alhashem SH, Teimourifard R, Amiri F. Effect of chitosan coating contain Ajwain essential oil on the shelf-life of chicken breast meat during refrigerated condition. Food & Health. 2020; 2:20-24.
- Sabounchi S, Massoud R. The effects of Zataria multiflora essential oil on some characteristics of sultana table grapes contaminated with Botrytis cinerea. Journal of Food Bioscience and Technology. 2016;12:11-22.
- Ojagh SM, Rezaei M, Razavi SH, Hosseini SM. Development and evaluation of a novel biodegradable film made from chitosan and cinnamon essential oil with low affinity toward water. Food Chemistry. 2010;122(1):161-6.
- Nasiri M, Ahari H, Sharifan A, Anvar AA, Kakolaki S. Nanoemulsion production techniques upgrade bioactivity potential of nanoemulsified essential oils on Acipenser stellatus filet preserving. International Journal of Food Properties. 2020; 23(1):2174-88.
- Shankar S, Rhim JW. Preparation and characterization of agar/lignin/silver nanoparticles composite films with ultraviolet light barrier and antibacterial properties. Food Hydrocolloids. 2017; 71:76-84.
- Samavatipour P, Abdossi V, Salehi R, Samavat S, Ladan Moghadam A. Evaluation of the impact of selenium-enrichment and some organic matter on morphophysiological and essential oil in Anethum graveolens Food & Health. 2020; 4:1-6.
- Arfat YA, Benjakul S, Prodpran T, Sumpavapol P, Songtipya P. Properties and antimicrobial activity of fish protein isolate/fish skin gelatin film containing basil leaf essential oil and zinc oxide nanoparticles. Food Hydrocolloids. 2014; 41:265-73.
- Jahed E, Khaledabad MA, Bari MR, Almasi H. Effect of cellulose and lignocellulose nanofibers on the properties of Origanum vulgare gracile essential oil-loaded chitosan films. Reactive and Functional Polymers. 2017; 117:70-80.
- Atarés L, De Jesús C, Talens P, Chiralt A. Characterization of SPI-based edible films incorporated with cinnamon or ginger essential oils. Journal of Food Engineering. 2010; 99(3):384-91.
- Jebel FS, Almasi H. Morphological, physical, antimicrobial and release properties of ZnO nanoparticles-loaded bacterial cellulose films. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2016; 149:8-19.
- Tongnuanchan P, Benjakul S, Prodpran T. Physico-chemical properties, morphology and antioxidant activity of film from fish skin gelatin incorporated with root essential oils. Journal of Food Engineering. 2013;117(3):350-60.
- Atarés L, Chiralt A. Essential oils as additives in biodegradable films and coatings for active food packaging. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 2016; 48:51-62.
- Scimeca M, Bischetti S, Lamsira HK, Bonfiglio R, Bonanno E. Energy Dispersive X-ray (EDX) microanalysis: A powerful tool in biomedical research and diagnosis. European Journal of Histochemistry. 2018; 62(1); 2-12.
- Danaee E, Abdossi V. Effect of foliar application of iron, potassium, and zinc nano-chelates on nutritional value and essential oil of Basil (Ocimum basilicum). Food & Health. 2021; 4:13-20.
- Ni ZJ, Wang X, Shen Y, Thakur K, Han J, Zhang JG, Hu F, Wei ZJ. Recent updates on the chemistry, bioactivities, mode of action, and industrial applications of plant essential oils. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 2021; 110:78-89.
- Mathew S, Snigdha S, Mathew J, Radhakrishnan EK. Poly (vinyl alcohol): montmorillonite: boiled rice water (starch) blend film reinforced with silver nanoparticles; characterization and antibacterial properties. Applied Clay Science. 2018; 161:464-73.
- Guarás MP, Alvarez VA, Ludueña LN. Biodegradable nanocomposites based on starch/polycaprolactone/compatibilizer ternary blends reinforced with natural and organo‐modified montmorillonite. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2016;133(44): 20-28.
- Akamatsu K, Adachi S, Tsuruoka T, Ikeda S, Tomita S, Nawafune H. Nanocomposite polymeric microspheres containing Ni nanoparticles with controlled microstructures. Chemistry of Materials. 2008;20(9):3042-7.
- Hosseini SF, Rezaei M, Zandi M, Ghavi FF. Preparation and functional properties of fish gelatin–chitosan blend edible films. Food Chemistry. 2013;136(3-4):1490-5.
- Souza VG, Pires JR, Vieira ÉT, Coelhoso IM, Duarte MP, Fernando AL. Shelf-life assessment of fresh poultry meat packaged in novel bionanocomposite of chitosan/montmorillonite incorporated with ginger essential oil. Coatings. 2018;8(5):177.
- Hasheminya SM, Mokarram RR, Ghanbarzadeh B, Hamishekar H, Kafil HS, Dehghannya J. Influence of simultaneous application of copper oxide nanoparticles and Satureja khuzestanica essential oil on properties of kefiran–carboxymethyl cellulose films. Polymer Testing. 2019; 73:377-88.
- Ahari H, Massoud R. The effect of Cuminum essential oil on rheological properties and shelf life of probiotic yoghurt. Journal of Nutrition and Food Security. 2020;5(4):296-305.
- Karimnezhad F, Razavilar V, Anvar A, Eskandari S. Study the antimicrobial effects of chitosan-based edible film containing the Trachyspermum ammi essential oil on shelf-life of chicken meat. Microbiology Research. 2017;8(2):7226.
- Ahari H, Hedayati M, Akbari-adergani B, Kakoolaki S, Hosseini H, Anvar A. Staphylococcus aureus exotoxin detection using potentiometric nanobiosensor for microbial electrode approach with the effects of pH and temperature. International Journal of Food Properties. 2017; 20:1578-87.
- Ydollahi M, Ahari H, Anvar AA. Antibacterial activity of silver-nanoparticles against Staphylococcus aureus. African Journal of Microbiology Research. 2016;10(23):850-5.
- Mohammadi F, Khani MR. The effect of Heracleum persicum essential oil on shelf-life and sensory properties of broiler chicken breast during refrigerated storage. Journal of Food Technology and Nutrition. 2019;16(2):89-104.
- Choobkar N, Akhondzadeh Basti A, Sari AA, Gandomi H, Emami Rad AM. Effect of Zataria multiflora Boiss essential oil and nisin on shelf life in light salted fish fillet of silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix). Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2012;11(42):205-15.
- Rashedi H, Partovi A, Fattah R, Khiabani M. The effect of silver nanofilms based on titaniom dioxide on the shelf-life of rainbow trout fillet (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology. 2016;11(3):85-92.
- Zolfaghari M. Study of trend of chemical and microbial changes of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus Mykiss) to determine the its optimum shelf-life during storage in refrigerator temperature (4 C). Journal of Fisheries. 2011; 64(2):107-19.