Document Type : Original Article
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary and Agriculture, Shabestar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Shabestar, Iran
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Shabestar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Shabestar, Iran
Department of Microbiology, University of Mohaghegh Ardabili, Ardabil, Iran
Department of Food Science and Technology, Biotechnology Research Center, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tabriz, Iran
Contamination of poultry products by Salmonella spp. is a critical issue in the poultry industry and public health. The present study aimed at molecular detection and typing of Salmonella isolated from poultry products. Moreover, antibiotic resistance patterns and the biofilm formation ability of isolates were determined. Eighty poultry product samples were collected from chicken supply and distribution centers. Salmonella spp. were identified by culture as well as the genus-specific PCR. A slide agglutination test using O grouping polyvalent sera were used for serological identification. BOXAIR and REP-PCR methods were evaluated for the discrimination of Salmonella isolates at the serotype level. Antibiotic susceptibility testing of serotypes against sixteen antibiotics was performed using the standard Kirby-Bauer disc diffusion method. The Microtiter-plate biofilm formation assay measured the extent of biofilm formation. From 80 samples, 11 Salmonella spp. were identified, divided into two serotypes belonging to B and A serogroups. BOX repeat-based PCR (BOXAIR-PCR) and Repetitive element-based PCR (REP-PCR) banding results of isolates revealed 7 and 6 reproducible fingerprint patterns, respectively. The highest resistance was observed in response to ampicillin and doxycycline, followed by chloramphenicol, sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, neomycin, and nalidixic acid. Multidrug resistance was detected in all Salmonella serotypes. Seven isolates possessed the ability to produce biofilm with varied adhesion strength. These results revealed the high and unexpected prevalence of Salmonella spp. in poultry products with multiple antibiotic resistance and biofilm production ability. Also, BOXAIR and REP-PCR results revealed high diversity in Salmonella serotypes and subsequently indicated variety in the origin of Salmonella spp.
- Wessels K, Rip D, Gouws P. Salmonella in chicken meat: consumption, outbreaks, characteristics, current control methods and the potential of bacteriophage use. Foods. 2021;10(8).
- Salerno B, Furlan M, Sabatino R, Di Cesare A, Leati M, Volanti M, et al. Antibiotic resistance genes load in an antibiotic free organic broiler farm. Poultry Science. 2022;101(3):101675.
- Ehuwa O, Jaiswal AK, Jaiswal S. Salmonella, Food Safety and Food Handling Practices. Foods. 2021;10(5):907.
- Xu H, Zhang W, Zhang K, Zhang Y, Wang Z, Zhang W, et al. Characterization of Salmonella serotypes prevalent in asymptomatic people and patients. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2021;21(1):632.
- Antunes P, Mourão J, Campos J, Peixe L. Salmonellosis: the role of poultry meat. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2016;22(2):110-21.
- D VTN, Venkitanarayanan K, Kollanoor Johny A. Antibiotic-resistant Salmonella in the food supply and the potential role of antibiotic alternatives for control. Foods. 2018;7(10).
- Manyi-Loh C, Mamphweli S, Meyer E, Okoh A. Antibiotic use in agriculture and its consequential resistance in environmental sources: potential public health implications. Molecules. 2018;23(4).
- Mehdi Y, Létourneau-Montminy M-P, Gaucher M-L, Chorfi Y, Suresh G, Rouissi T, et al. Use of antibiotics in broiler production: Global impacts and alternatives. Animal Nutrition. 2018;4(2):170-178.
- Scott HM, Acuff G, Bergeron G, Bourassa MW, Gill J, Graham DW, et al. Critically important antibiotics: criteria and approaches for measuring and reducing their use in food animal agriculture. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2019;1441(1):8-16.
- Ćwiek K, Korzekwa K, Tabiś A, Bania J, Bugla-Płoskońska G, Wieliczko A. Antimicrobial resistance and biofilm formation capacity of Salmonella enterica serovar enteritidis strains isolated from poultry and humans in Poland. Pathogens. 2020;9(8).
- Carrascosa C, Raheem D, Ramos F, Saraiva A, Raposo A. Microbial biofilms in the food industry-A comprehensive review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021;18(4).
- Gogoi P, Borah P, Hussain I, Das L, Hazarika G, Tamuly S, et al. Efficacy of Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis and repetitive element sequence-based PCR in typing of Salmonella isolates from Assam, India. Journal of clinical microbiology. 2018;56(5).
- Kim JE, Lee YJ. Molecular characterization of antimicrobial resistant non-typhoidal Salmonella from poultry industries in Korea. Irish veterinary journal. 2017;70:20.
- Sharma A, Lee S, Park YS. Molecular typing tools for identifying and characterizing lactic acid bacteria: a review. Food science and biotechnology. 2020;29(10):1301-18.
- Hashemi A, Baghbani-Arani F. The effective differentiation of Salmonella isolates using four PCR-based typing methods. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 2015;118(6):1530-40.
- Albufera U, Bhugaloo-Vial P, Issack MI, Jaufeerally-Fakim Y. Molecular characterization of Salmonella isolates by REP-PCR and RAPD analysis. Infection, Genetics and Evolution. 2009; 9(3):322-7.
- Poonchareon K, Pulsrikarn C, Nuanmuang N, Khamai P. Effectiveness of BOX-PCR in differentiating genetic relatedness among Salmonella enterica serotype 4,,12:i:-Isolates from hospitalized patients and minced pork samples in northern Thailand. International Journal of Microbiology. 2019;2019:5086240.
- Sedeik ME, El-Shall NA, Awad AM, Elfeky SM, Abd El-Hack ME, Hussein EOS, et al. Isolation, conventional and molecular characterization of Salmonella spp. from newly hatched broiler chicks. AMB Express. 2019;9(1):136.
- Lee SH, Jung BY, Rayamahji N, Lee HS, Jeon WJ, Choi KS, et al. A multiplex real-time PCR for differential detection and quantification of Salmonella, Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium and Enteritidis in meats. Journal of Veterinary Science. 2009;10(1):43-51.
- Hemmati M, Shayegh J, Hosseini H. Virulence and antibiotic resistance gene profiles of Iranian Salmonella isolates in various origins. Comparative Clinical Pathology. 2020;29.
- Dombek PE, Johnson LK, Zimmerley ST, Sadowsky MJ. Use of repetitive DNA sequences and the PCR To differentiate Escherichia coli isolates from human and animal sources. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2000;66(6):2572-7.
- Pokharel BM, Koirala J, Dahal RK, Mishra SK, Khadga PK, Tuladhar NR. Multidrug-resistant and extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Salmonella enterica (serotypes Typhi and Paratyphi A) from blood isolates in Nepal: surveillance of resistance and a search for newer alternatives. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2006;10(6):434-8.
- Majtán J, Majtánová L, Xu M, Majtán V. In vitro effect of subinhibitory concentrations of antibiotics on biofilm formation by clinical strains of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium isolated in Slovakia. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 2008;104(5):1294-301.
- Sodagari HR, Wang P, Robertson I, Habib I, Sahibzada S. Non-typhoidal Salmonella at the human-food-of-animal-origin interface in Australia. Animals. 2020;10(7).
- Asadpour y, Mohammadi m, Pourbakhsh SA, Rasa m. Isolation, serotyping and antibiotic resistance of Salmonella isolated from chicken carcasses in Guilan province. Iranian Veterinary Journal. 2014;9(4):5-13.
- Amirmozaffari N, Rahmani Z, Iesazadeh K. Evaluation of the Level of contamination with Salmonella in red meat, chicken, and domestic and industrial eggs produced in Talesh city and assessment of their antibiotic resistance pattern, Iran. Qom University of Medical Sciences Journal. 2013;7(5):60-5.
- Momtaz H, Ghaedamini M, Momeni M. Detection of virulence factors in Salmonella Typhimurium and salmonella enteritidis serotypes isolated from chicken meat in Chaharmahal va Bakhtiari province of Iran. Journal of Food Microbiology. 2014;1(1):17-22.
- Raeisi E, Ghiamirad M. Survey on prevalence of Salmonella serogroups and antibiotics susceptibility pattern in chicken meat in Ardabil, Iran. arumsj. 2015;15(3):320-9.
- Sodagari HR, Mashak Z, Ghadimianazar A. Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella serotypes isolated from retail chicken meat and giblets in Iran. Journal of Infection in Developing Countries. 2015;9(5):463-9.
- Ghaderi R, Moradi Bidhendi S, Khaki P. Occurrence of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis isolates from poultry in Iran. Archives of Razi Institute. 2016;71(1):43-9.
- Malmarugan S, Velayutham T, Rajeswar J. InvA gene specific PCR for detection of Salmonella from boilers. Veterinary World. 2011;4.
- Abdel-Maksoud M, Abdel-Khalek R, El-Gendy A, Gamal RF, Abdelhady HM, House BL. Genetic characterisation of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotypes isolated from poultry in Cairo, Egypt. African Journal of Laboratory Medicine. 2015; (1)4.
- Tessema K, Bedu H, Ejo M, Hiko AJ. Prevalence and antibiotic resistance of Salmonella species isolated from chicken eggs by standard bacteriological method. Veterinary Science & Technology. 2017;8(421):2.
- Singh R, Yadav AS, Tripathi V, Singh RP. Antimicrobial resistance profile of Salmonella present in poultry and poultry environment in north India. Food Control. 2013;33(2):545-8.
- Xie T, Wu G, He X, Lai Z, Zhang H, Zhao J. Antimicrobial resistance and genetic diversity of Salmonella enterica from eggs. Food Science & 2019;7(9):2847-53.
- García C, Soriano JM, Benítez V, Catalá-Gregori P. Assessment of Salmonella in feces, cloacal swabs, and eggs (eggshell and content separately) from a laying hen farm. Poultry Science. 2011;90(7):1581-5.
- Ezatpanah E, Moradi Bidhendi s, Khaki p, Ghaderi R, Seyedan Jasbi E, Moghtadaee Far S. Isolation, serotyping and antibiotic-resistance pattern of isolated Salmonella from chicken of Arak. Iranian Veterinary Journal. 2013;9(2):88-96.
- Goncagül G, Günaydin E, Carli KT. Prevalence of Salmonella serogroups in chicken meat. Turkish Journal of Veterinary & Animal Sciences. 2005;29(1):103-6.
- Mahmud MS, Bari ML, Hossain MA. Prevalence of Salmonella serovars and antimicrobial resistance profiles in poultry of Savar area, Bangladesh. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 2011;8(10):1111-8.
- Molla B, Mesfin A, Alemayehu D. Multiple antimicrobial-resistant Salmonella serotypes isolated from chicken carcass and giblets in Debre Zeit and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Development. 2004;17.
- Capita R, Alonso-Calleja C, Prieto M. Prevalence of Salmonella enterica serovars and genovars from chicken carcasses in slaughterhouses in Spain. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 2007;103(5):1366-75.
- Yang B, Qu D, Zhang X, Shen J, Cui S, Shi Y, et al. Prevalence and characterization of Salmonella serovars in retail meats of marketplace in Shaanxi, China. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2010;141(1-2):63-72.
- Li R, Lai J, Wang Y, Liu S, Li Y, Liu K, et al. Prevalence and characterization of Salmonella species isolated from pigs, ducks and chickens in Sichuan Province, China. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2013;163(1):14-8.
- Abd-Elghany S, Sallam K, Abd-Elkhalek A, Tamura T. Occurrence, genetic characterization and antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella isolated from chicken meat and giblets. Epidemiology and Infection 2015;143(5):997-1003.
- Peighambari SM, Akbarian R, Morshed R, Yazdani A. Characterization of Salmonella isolates from poultry sources in Iran. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Medicine. 2013;7(1):35-41.
- Akinola SA, Tshimpamba ME, Mwanza M, Ateba CN. Biofilm production potential of Salmonella serovars isolated from chickens in north west province, South Africa. Polish Journal of Microbiology. 2020;69(4):427-39.
- Silva P, Goulart LR, Reis TFM, Mendonça EP, Melo RT, Penha VAS, et al. Biofilm formation in different Salmonella serotypes isolated from poultry. Current Microbiology. 2019;76(1):124-9.
- Díez-García M, Capita R, Alonso-Calleja C. Influence of serotype on the growth kinetics and the ability to form biofilms of Salmonella isolates from poultry. Food Microbiology. 2012;31(2):173-80.
- Kalai Chelvam K, Chai LC, Thong KL. Variations in motility and biofilm formation of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi. Gut pathogens. 2014;6:2.