Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Food Science and Technology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Food Safety and Hygiene, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
The use of new preservation methods based on natural substances of plant and animal origin in food is expanding. Edible coatings can improve the quality of fresh and frozen products such as fish by preventing microbial growth, and decreasing lipid oxidation and moisture loss. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of the edible coating of chitosan (0 and 2%), Baneh gum (0, 1 and 2 %), propolis extract (0, 1 and 2%), and nanoemulsion of ginger essential oil (0, 0.5 and 1 %) on the shelf life of fresh salmon fillets during 12 days refrigeration. The results showed that the coating had a significant effect on reducing the total count, psychrophilic bacteria, coliforms, and Pseudomonas count during storage. Also, coated samples showed lower pH and peroxide values than uncoated, but the coating had little effect on reducing thiobarbituric acid (TBARS) and total volatile nitrogen (TVBN) values. During the sensory evaluation, it was found that the chitosan coating with Baneh gum can maintain or improve the sensory properties and extend the shelf life of refrigerated fish.
- Kaur N, Chugh V, Gupta AK. Essential fatty acids as functional components of foods- a review. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014;51(10):2289-303.
- Duan J, Cherian G, Zhao Y. Quality enhancement in fresh and frozen lingcod (Ophiodon elongates) fillets by employment of fish oil incorporated chitosan coatings. Food Chemistry. 2010;119(2):524-32.
- Vásconez MB, Flores SK, Campos CA, Alvarado J, Gerschenson LN. Antimicrobial activity and physical properties of chitosan–tapioca starch based edible films and coatings. Food Research International. 2009;42(7):762-9.
- Ninua L, Tarkhnishvili D, Gvazava E. Phylogeography and taxonomic status of trout and salmon from the Ponto‐Caspian drainages, with inferences on European Brown Trout evolution and taxonomy. Ecology and Evolution. 2018;8(5):2645-58.
- Sharif Z, Mustapha F, Jai J, Yusof NM, Zaki N. Review on methods for preservation and natural preservatives for extending the food longevity. Chemical Engineering Research Bulletin. 2017:145-53.
- Galus S, Arik Kibar EA, Gniewosz M, Kraśniewska K. Novel materials in the preparation of edible films and coatings—A review. Coatings. 2020;10(7):674.
- Xiong Y, Chen M, Warner RD, Fang Z. Incorporating nisin and grape seed extract in chitosan-gelatine edible coating and its effect on cold storage of fresh pork. Food Control. 2020;110:107018.
- Hassanzadeh P, Moradi M, Vaezi N, Moosavy M-H, Mahmoudi R, editors. Effects of chitosan edible coating containing grape seed extract on the shelf-life of refrigerated rainbow trout fillet. Veterinary Research Forum; 2018: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
- Dong C, Wang B, Li F, Zhong Q, Xia X, Kong B. Effects of edible chitosan coating on Harbin red sausage storage stability at room temperature. Meat Science. 2020;159:107919.
- Lourenço SC, Moldão-Martins M, Alves VD. Antioxidants of natural plant origins: From sources to food industry applications. Molecules. 2019;24(22):4132.
- Coma V. Bioactive packaging technologies for extended shelf life of meat-based products. Meat Science. 2008;78(1-2):90-103.
- Ruiz Canizales J, Velderrain Rodríguez GR, Domínguez Avila JA, Preciado Saldaña AM, Alvarez Parrilla E, Villegas Ochoa MA, et al. Encapsulation to protect different bioactives to be used as nutraceuticals and food ingredients. In: Mérillon J-M, Ramawat KG, editors. Bioactive Molecules in Food. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2019. p. 2163-82.
- Quirós-Sauceda AE, Ayala-Zavala JF, Olivas GI, González-Aguilar GA. Edible coatings as encapsulating matrices for bioactive compounds: a review. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014;51(9):1674-85.
- Mao Q-Q, Xu X-Y, Cao S-Y, Gan R-Y, Corke H, Li H-B. Bioactive compounds and bioactivities of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe). Foods. 2019;8(6):185.
- Beristain-Bauza SDC, Hernández-Carranza P, Cid-Pérez TS, Ávila-Sosa R, Ruiz-López II, Ochoa-Velasco CE. Antimicrobial activity of ginger (Zingiber Officinale) and its application in food products. Food Reviews International. 2019;35(5):407-26.
- Noori S, Zeynali F, Almasi H. Antimicrobial and antioxidant efficiency of nanoemulsion-based edible coating containing ginger (Zingiber officinale) essential oil and its effect on safety and quality attributes of chicken breast fillets. Food Control. 2018;84:312-20.
- Wang X, Shen Y, Thakur K, Han J, Zhang J-G, Hu F, et al. Antibacterial activity and mechanism of ginger essential oil against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Molecules. 2020;25(17):3955.
- Fathollahi M, Aminzare M, Mohseni M, Hassanzadazar H. Antioxidant capacity, antimicrobial activities and chemical composition of Pistacia atlantica subsp. kurdica essential oil. Veterinary Research Forum. 2019;10(4):299-305.
- Hasheminya S-M, Dehghannya J. Composition, phenolic content, antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Pistacia atlantica subsp. kurdica hulls’ essential oil. Food Bioscience. 2020;34:100510.
- Azeez SH, Gaphor SM. Evaluation of antibacterial effect against Porphyromonas gingivalis and biocompatibility of essential oil extracted from the gum of Pistacia atlantica kurdica. BioMed Research International. 2019;2019.
- Veisi H, Kavian M, Hekmati M, Hemmati S. Biosynthesis of the silver nanoparticles on the graphene oxide’s surface using Pistacia atlantica leaves extract and its antibacterial activity against some human pathogens. Polyhedron. 2019;161:338-45.
- Ahangari Z, Naseri M, Vatandoost F. Propolis: Chemical composition and its applications in endodontics. Iranian Endodontic Journal. 2018;13(3):285-92.
- Surek M, Fachi MM, de Fátima Cobre A, de Oliveira FF, Pontarolo R, Crisma AR, et al. Chemical composition, cytotoxicity, and antibacterial activity of propolis from Africanized honeybees and three different Meliponini species. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2021;269:113662.
- Przybyłek I, Karpiński TM. Antibacterial properties of propolis. Molecules. 2019;24(11):2047.
- Zia M, Mannani R, Mahmoodi M, Bayat M, Mohaghegh F. The effects of alcoholic extract of propolis obtained from Iran bee hives on the growth of Trichophyton mentagrophytis, Trichophyton rubrum and Trichophyton verrucosum. Journal of Isfahan Medical School. 2009;27(95):232-41.
- Racoti A, Buttress AJ, Binner E, Dodds C, Trifan A, Calinescu I. Microwave assisted hydro-distillation of essential oils from fresh ginger root (Zingiber officinale Roscoe). Journal of Essential oil Research. 2017;29(6):471-80.
- Ghosh V, Mukherjee A, Chandrasekaran N. Ultrasonic emulsification of food-grade nanoemulsion formulation and evaluation of its bactericidal activity. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry. 2013;20(1):338-44.
- Jonaidi Jafari N, Kargozari M, Ranjbar R, Rostami H, Hamedi H. The effect of chitosan coating incorporated with ethanolic extract of propolis on the quality of refrigerated chicken fillet. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2018;42(1):e13336.
- Muhlisin M, Utama DT, Lee JH, Choi JH, Lee SK. Effects of gaseous ozone exposure on bacterial counts and oxidative properties in chicken and duck breast meat. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources. 2016;36(3):405.
- Ojagh SM, Rezaei M, Razavi SH, Hosseini SMH. Effect of chitosan coatings enriched with cinnamon oil on the quality of refrigerated rainbow trout. Food Chemistry. 2010;120(1):193-8.
- AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemist1990.
- Goulas AE, Kontominas MG. Effect of salting and smoking-method on the keeping quality of chub mackerel (Scomber japonicus): biochemical and sensory attributes. Food Chemistry. 2005;93(3):511-20.
- Hamedi H, Razavi‐Rohani SM, Gandomi H. Combination effect of essential oils of some herbs with monolaurin on growth and survival of Listeria monocytogenes in culture media and cheese. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2014;38(1):304-10.
- da Silva FT, da Cunha KF, Fonseca LM, Antunes MD, El Halal SLM, Fiorentini ÂM, et al. Action of ginger essential oil (Zingiber officinale) encapsulated in proteins ultrafine fibers on the antimicrobial control in situ. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2018;118:107-15.
- Harms N, Shearer J, Cronin JT, Gaskin JF. Geographic and genetic variation in susceptibility of Butomus umbellatus to foliar fungal pathogens. Biological Invasions. 2020;22(2):535-48.
- Moghimi R, Aliahmadi A, McClements DJ, Rafati H. Investigations of the effectiveness of nanoemulsions from sage oil as antibacterial agents on some food borne pathogens. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2016;71:69-76.
- Osanloo M, Amani A, Sereshti H, Abai MR, Esmaeili F, Sedaghat MM. Preparation and optimization nanoemulsion of Tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus) essential oil as effective herbal larvicide against Anopheles stephensi. Industrial Crops and Products. 2017;109:214-9.
- Zhang S, Zhang M, Fang Z, Liu Y. Preparation and characterization of blended cloves/cinnamon essential oil nanoemulsions. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2017;75:316-22.
- Firoozi M, Rezapour‐Jahani S, Shahvegharasl Z, Anarjan N. Ginger essential oil nanoemulsions: Preparation and physicochemical characterization and antibacterial activities evaluation. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 2020;43(8):e13434.
- Hesami G, Darvishi S, Zarei M, Hadidi M. Fabrication of chitosan nanoparticles incorporated with Pistacia atlantica subsp. kurdica hulls’ essential oil as a potential antifungal preservative against strawberry grey mould. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 2021.
- Rehman R, Akram M, Akhtar N, Jabeen Q, Shah SA, Ahmed K, et al. Zingiber officinale Roscoe (pharmacological activity). Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2011;5(3).
- Ali BH, Blunden G, Tanira MO, Nemmar A. Some phytochemical, pharmacological and toxicological properties of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe): a review of recent research. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2008;46(2):409-20.
- Holley RA, Patel D. Improvement in shelf-life and safety of perishable foods by plant essential oils and smoke antimicrobials. Food Microbiology. 2005;22(4):273-92.
- Burt S. Essential oils: their antibacterial properties and potential applications in foods—a review. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2004;94(3):223-53.
- Atay HY. Antibacterial activity of chitosan-based systems. Functional Chitosan. 20209: 457–489.
- Bano I, Arshad M, Yasin T, Ghauri MA, Younus M. Chitosan: A potential biopolymer for wound management. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2017;102:380-3.
- Ellahi H, Khalili Sadrabad E, Hekmatimoghaddam S, Jebali A, Sadeghizadeh-yazdi J, Rastiani F, et al. antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of Pistachia atlantica gum subsp. kurdica. Essential oil. Journal of Nutrition and Food Security. 2019;4(3):186-90.
- Shehata MG, Ahmad FT, Badr AN, Masry SH, El-Sohaimy SA. Chemical analysis, antioxidant, cytotoxic and antimicrobial properties of propolis from different geographic regions. Annals of Agricultural Sciences. 2020;65(2):209-17.
- Kolayli S, Palabiyik I, Atik D, Keskin M, Bozdeveci A, Karaoglu S. Comparison of antibacterial and antifungal effects of different varieties of honey and propolis samples. Acta Alimentaria. 2020;49(4):515-23.
- Falcão SI, Vale N, Cos P, Gomes P, Freire C, Maes L, et al. In vitro evaluation of Portuguese propolis and floral sources for antiprotozoal, antibacterial and antifungal activity. Phytotherapy Research. 2014;28(3):437-43.
- Kalogeropoulos N, Konteles SJ, Troullidou E, Mourtzinos I, Karathanos VT. Chemical composition, antioxidant activity and antimicrobial properties of propolis extracts from Greece and Cyprus. Food Chemistry. 2009;116(2):452-61.
- Huang M, Wang H, Xu X, Lu X, Song X, Zhou G. Effects of nanoemulsion-based edible coatings with composite mixture of rosemary extract and ε-poly-L-lysine on the shelf life of ready-to-eat carbonado chicken. Food Hydrocolloids. 2020;102:105576.
- Liu Q, Zhang M, Bhandari B, Xu J, Yang C. Effects of nanoemulsion-based active coatings with composite mixture of star anise essential oil, polylysine, and nisin on the quality and shelf life of ready-to-eat Yao meat products. Food Control. 2020;107:106771.
- Ahmed K, Shaheen G, Asif H. Zingiber officinale Roscoe (pharmacological activity). Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2011;5(3):344-8.
- Haksar A, Sharma A, Chawla R, Kumar R, Arora R, Singh S, et al. Zingiber officinale exhibits behavioral radioprotection against radiation-induced CTA in a gender-specific manner. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 2006;84(2):179-88.
- Chelghoum M, Guenane H, Harrat M, Yousfi M. Total Tocopherols, carotenoids, and fatty acids content variation of Pistacia atlantica from different organs’ crude oils and their antioxidant activity during development stages. Chemistry & Biodiversity. 2020;17(9):e2000117.
- Nachvak SM, Hosseini S, Nili-Ahmadabadi A, Dastan D, Rezaei M. Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of Pistacia atlantica subsp. Kurdica from Awraman. Journal of Reports in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018;7(3):222-30.
- Kakoolaki S, Talas ZS, Cakir O, Ciftci O, Ozdemir I. Role of propolis on oxidative stress in fish brain. Basic and Clinical Neuroscience. 2013;4(2):153-8.
- Piedrahíta Márquez DG, Fuenmayor CA, Suarez Mahecha H. Effect of chitosan‐propolis edible coatings on stability of refrigerated cachama (Piaractus brachypomus) vacuum‐packed fish fillets. Packaging Technology and Science. 2019;32(3):143-53.
- Spinelli S, Conte A, Lecce L, Incoronato AL, Del Nobile MA. Microencapsulated propolis to enhance the antioxidant properties of fresh fish burgers. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 2015;38(6):527-35.
- Cai L, Wang Y, Cao A. The physiochemical and preservation properties of fish sarcoplasmic protein/chitosan composite films containing ginger essential oil emulsions. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 2020;43(10):e13495.
- Remya S, Mohan C, Bindu J, Sivaraman G, Venkateshwarlu G, Ravishankar C. Effect of chitosan based active packaging film on the keeping quality of chilled stored barracuda fish. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2016;53(1):685-93.