Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Nutrition, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Cellular and Molecular Nutrition, School of Nutritional Sciences & Dietetics, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Constipation is a common non-motor problem in Parkinson's patients that affects the quality of life of these patients. Complications of constipation include anal pain and injury, which leads to anal ulcers and hemorrhoids. Many factors are blamed for this matter, which overweight and obesity might affect in these patients as well. Chronic constipation completely affects a person's quality of life. Therefore, the aim of the present study was to find the possible relationship between anthropometric indices and constipation in Parkinson's patients in Iran. The study was performed on 72 Parkinson patients aged 50-80 years with constipation referred to Hazrat Rasoul Akram Hospital in Tehran. Patients were divided into two groups according to the number of bowel movements per week (<3 and ≥3 respectively). Demographic information was collected by a general questionnaire. Anthropometric data were calculated using Seca scales and meters. Body fat percentage and lean body mass were calculated using valid formulas. Data related to physical activity, food intake, number of excretions were collected by valid questionnaires. Based on the present findings, there is no relationship between anthropometric indices and constipation in Parkinson's patients. There is no significant difference in anthropometric indices between the two groups either. No significant difference in food groups between the two groups was observed as well. Anthropometric indices have no effect on constipation in Parkinson's patients. Future studies on the large-scale samples are recommended.
- Poewe W, Seppi K, Tanner CM, Halliday GM, Brundin P, Volkmann J, et al. Parkinson disease. Nature Reviews Disease Primers. 2017;3:1–21.
- Pringsheim T, Jette N, Frolkis A, Steeves TDL. The prevalence of Parkinson’s disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Movement Disorders. 2014;29(13):1583-90.
- Von Campenhausen S, Bornschein B, Wick R, Bötzel K, Sampaio C, Poewe W, et al. Prevalence and incidence of Parkinson’s disease in Europe. European Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005;15(4):473-90.
- Dorsey ER, Constantinescu R, Thompson JP, Biglan KM, Holloway RG, Kieburtz K, et al. Projected number of people with Parkinson disease in the most populous nations, 2005 through 2030. Neurology. 2007;68(5):384-6.
- Tysnes OB, Storstein A. Epidemiology of Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Neural Transmission. 2017;124(8):901-5.
- Hosseinzadeh A, Baneshi MR, Sedighi B, Kermanchi J, Haghdoost AA. Estimation of Parkinson’s Disease Prevalence and Its Geographical Variation in Iran. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2021;31(200):113-24.
- Kalia LV, Lang AE. Parkinson’s disease. Lancet. 2015;386(9996):896-912.
- Elbaz A, Bower JH, Maraganore DM, McDonnell SK, Peterson BJ, Ahlskog JE, et al. Risk tables for parkinsonism and Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2002;55(1):25-31.
- Hughes AJ, Daniel SE, Kilford L, Lees AJ. Accuracy of clinical diagnosis of idiopathic Parkinson’s disease: a clinico-pathological study of 100 cases. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 1992;55(3):181-4.
- Antony PMA, Diederich NJ, Kr€ Uger R, Balling R, Antony PMA. The hallmarks of Parkinson’s disease. The FEBS Journal. 2013;280(23):5981-93.
- Pfeiffer RF. Gastrointestinal dysfunction in Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism & Related Disorders. 2011; 17(1),10-15.
- Yu QJ, Yu SY, Zuo LJ, Lian TH, Hu Y, Wang RD, et al. Parkinson disease with constipation: clinical features and relevant factors. Scientific Reports. 2018;8(1):567.
- McRae MP. Effectiveness of Fiber Supplementation for Constipation, Weight Loss, and Supporting Gastrointestinal Function: A Narrative Review of Meta-Analyses. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. 2020 Mar;19(1):58-64.
- Cersosimo MG, Raina GB, Pecci C, Pellene A, Calandra CR, Gutiérrez C, et al. Gastrointestinal manifestations in Parkinson’s disease: Prevalence and occurrence before motor symptoms. Journal of Neurology. 2013;260(5):1332-8.
- Kho ZY, Lal SK. The human gut microbiome - A potential controller of wellness and disease. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2018;9:1835.
- Roshandel D, Rezailashkajani M, Shafaee S, Zali MR. A cost analysis of functional bowel disorders in Iran. International Journal of Colorectal Diseas 2007;22(7):791-9.
- Kaboli SA, Pourhoseingholi MA, Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Safaee A, Habibi M, Pourhoseingholi A, et al. Factors associated with functional constipation in Iranian adults: a population-based study. Gastroenterology and Hepatology from Bed to Bench. 2010;3(2):83–90.
- Hardoff R, Sula M, Tamir A, Soil A, Front A, Badarna S, et al. Gastric emptying time and gastric motility in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Movement Disorders. 2001 Nov;16(6):1041-7
- Costa ML, Oliveira JN, Tahan S, Morais MB. Overweight and constipation in adolescents. BMC Gastroenterology. 2011;11: 40.
- Pecora P, Suraci C, Antonelli M, De Maria S, Marrocco W, Maria SD De, et al. Constipation and obesity: a statistical analysis. Bollettino della Societa Italiano di Biologia Sperimentale. 1981;57(23):2384-8.
- Olaru C, Diaconescu S, Trandafir L, Gimiga N, Stefanescu G, Ciubotariu G, et al. Some Risk Factors of Chronic Functional Constipation Identified in a pediatric population sample from Romania. Gastroenterology Research and Practice. 2016;2016:1-8.
- Yumuk V, Tsigos C, Fried M, Schindler K, Busetto L, Micic D, et al. European Guidelines for Obesity Management in Adults. Obesity Facts. 2015;8(6):402–24.
- Moezi P, Salehi A, Molavi H, Poustchi H, Gandomkar A, Imanieh MH, et al. Prevalence of Chronic Constipation and Its Associated Factors in Pars Cohort Study: A Study of 9000 Adults in Southern Iran. Middle East Journal of Digestive Diseases. 2018;10(2):75–83.
- Rasouli MA, Newth CJL, Khemani RG, Ross PA. Predicting body height in a pediatric intensive care unit using ulnar length. Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2018;6(08):1–2.
- Eknoyan G. Adolphe Quetelet (1796 1874) the average man and indices of obesity. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2007;23(1):47-51.
- Tahari AK, Chien D, Azadi JR, Wahl RL. Optimum lean body formulation for correction of standardized uptake value in PET imaging. The Journal of Nuclear Medicine. 2014;55(9):1481-4
- Deurenberg P, Weststrate JA, Seidell JC. Body mass index as a measure of body fatness: age- and sex-specific prediction formulas. British Journal of Nutrition. 1991 Mar;65(2):105–14.
- D’Agostino RB, Belanger A, D’Agostino RB. A suggestion for using powerful and informative tests of normality. The American Statistician. 1990;44(4):316.
- Silveira EA, Santos ASEA de C, Ribeiro JN, Noll M, Dos Santos Rodrigues AP, de Oliveira C. Prevalence of constipation in adults with obesity class II and III and associated factors. BMC Gastroenterology. 2021;21(1):217.
- Marc D Basson. What are the race-related demographics of constipation? MedScape. 2020.
- Sandler RS, Jordan MC, Shelton BJ. Demographic and dietary determinants of constipation in the US population. American Journal of Public Health. 1990;80(2):185-9.
- Nellesen D, Chawla A, Oh DL, Weissman T, Lavins BJ, Murray CW. Comorbidities in patients with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation or chronic idiopathic constipation: a review of the literature from the past decade. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2013;125(2):40-50.
- Gholizadeh E, Keshteli AH, Esmaillzadeh A, Feizi A, Adibi P. The Relationship between Functional Constipation and Major Dietary Patterns in Iranian Adults: Findings from the Large Cross-Sectional Population-Based SEPAHAN Study. Preventive Nutrition and Food Science. 2021;26(2):146–56.
- Li L, Huang AP, Wang LQ, Yu XL. Empirically derived dietary patterns and constipation among a middle-aged population from China, 2016-2018. Nutrition Journal. 2019;18(1):88.
- Abdullah MMH, Gyles CL, Marinangeli CPF, Carlberg JG, Jones PJH. Dietary fibre intakes and reduction in functional constipation rates among Canadian adults: a cost-of-illness analysis. Food & Nutrition Research. 2015;59:28646.
- Taba Taba Vakili S, Nezami BG, Shetty A, Chetty VK, Srinivasan S. Association of high dietary saturated fat intake and uncontrolled diabetes with constipation: evidence from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2015;27(10):1389–97.