Document Type : Original Article
Department of Horticulture, Garmsar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Garmsar, Iran
Department of Horticulture Science, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) belongs to the mint family, which contains essential oils and phenolic compounds with antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Iron, potassium, and zinc are essential nutrients for plants. The use of nano-chelates is effective on vegetative characteristics essential oils percentages of medicinal plants. The aim of this study was to investigate foliar application effects of nano-chelates levels on morphophysiological and phytochemical traits of basil. This experiment was performed as a completely randomized statistical design with 10 treatments including nano-chelates of iron, potassium, and zinc (0, 2, 4, and 6 mg/l). Non-foliar treatment with nano-chelates was used as a control treatment. The results showed that foliar application of different levels of nano-chelates had a significant effect on traits such as shoot fresh weight, total chlorophyll, flavonoids, amount of iron, potassium, and zinc at the level of 1%. Also, there was a significant impact on traits such as shoot and root dry weight, root fresh weight, phenol, vitamin C and essential oil percentage at 5% level. The highest fresh and dry weight of shoots and roots, vitamin C, phenol, and zinc was observed in Zn nano-chelate treatment. The highest content of total chlorophyll, flavonoids, iron content, and essential oil content in Fe nano-chelate treatment and the highest amount of potassium was in the treatment of K nano-chelate. Foliar application of different levels of nano-chelates in basil improved quantitative qualitative and nutritional contents. Nano-chelate fertilizers affected the percentage of compounds and the amount of essential oil compounds except methyl chavicol.
- Naghdi Badi H, Tolyat Abulhassani SM, Nazari M, Mehrafarin A. Phytochemical Response of Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum) to Application of Methanol Biostimulant and Iron Nano-chelate. Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2017;72,91-107.
- Omidbaigi R. Production and processing of medicinal plants. (4th ed.). Astan Ghods. Publication. 2007; 2, 438-433.
- Azoma J, Sakamoto M. Cellulosic hydrocolloid system present in seed of plants. Trends in Glycoscience and Glycotechnol. 2003; 15: 1-14.
- Muráriková M, ˇTažký A, Neugebauerová J, Planková A, Jampílek A, Muˇcaji P, Mikuš P. Characterization of essential oil composition in different basil species and pot cultures by a GC-MS method. Molecules. 2017; 22, 1-13.
- Schaller RD, Klimov VI. High efficiency carrier multiplication in PbSe nanocrystals: implications for solar energy conversion. Physical Review Letters. 2004; 92, 186601-1-186601-4.
- Peyvandi M, Parande H, Mirza M. Comparison of nano Fe chelate with Fe chelate effect on growth parameters and antioxidant enzymes activity of Ocimum basilicum. New Cell Molecular and Biotechnology Journal. 2011; 4, 89-99.
- Seif Sahandi M, Naghdi Badi H, Mehrafarin A, Khalighi-Sigaroodi F, Sharifi M. Changes in essential oil content and composition of peppermint (Mentha piperita) in responses to nitrogen application. Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2019;72,81-98.
- Broadley MR, White PJ, Hammond JP, Zelko I, Lux A. Zinc in plants. New Phytology. 2007;173,677-702.
- Dolatkhahi A, Matloobi M, Motallebiazar A, Vahdati N. Shading impact on qualitative characteristics and chlorophyll content of cut rose (Rosa hybrida Avalanche). Journal of Ornamental Plants. 2013; 3, 215-20.
- Hassanzadeh, K., Hemmati, Kh, Mehdipour, M. The effect of different drying methods (natural and aven) on the drying time and some secondary metabolites of the medicinal plant lemongrass (Melissa officinalis). Journal of Plant Production Research. 2018; 25,137-43. (In Persian).
- Arnon DI. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in vulgaris. Plant Physiology. 1949;24,1-15.
- Ebrahimzadeh E, Abdossi V, Mashhadi Bojar A. Effect of salt stress on quantitative and qualitative traits of Coleus blumei M.Sc. thesis. Islamic Azad University of Garmsar Branch. 2013. (In Persian)
- Singleton Vernon L, Orthofer Rudolf, Lamuela-Raventós, Rosa M. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Methods in Enzymology. 1999;299,152-78.
- Chang CC, Yang MH, Wen MH, Chern JC. Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods. Journal of Food Drug Analysis. 2002; 10: 178-182.
- Mehrafarin A, Naghdi Badi H, Mirzai Motlagh M, Salehi M, Ghiasi Yekta M. Phytochemical and morphophysiological responses of Dill (Anethum graveolens) to foliar application of potassium sulfate and methanol biostimulant. Journal of Medicinal Plants, 2017; 64: 93-109.
- Mengel, K. Effect of potassium supply on the acropetal transport of water, inorganic ions and amino acids in young decapitated sunflower plants (Helianthus annuus). Physiology of Plant Journal. 1973; 232–6.
- Cakmak I, Tolay A, Ozdemeir H, Ozkan L, King C I. Differences in zinc efficiency among and within diploid, tetraploid and hexaploid wheats. Annals Botany. 1999;163-71.
- Bahrani A. Effect of some micro and macro nutrients on seed yield and oil content of rapeseed (Brassica napus). International Journal of Chemistry, Environment and Biological Science. 2015;3,71-4.
- Jokar L, Ronaghi, A. Effect of foliar application of different Fe levels and sources on growth and concentration of some nutrients in sorghum. Journal of Science and Technology in Greenhouse Culture. 2015;6,163-73.
- Hamzei J, Najjari S, Sadeghi F, Seyedi M. Effect of foliar application of nano-iron chelate and inoculation with mesorhizobium bacteria on root nodulation, growth and yield of chickpea under rainfed conditions. Iranian Journal Pulses Research. 2014;5,9-18.
- Roosta HR, Mohsenian Y. Effects of foliar spray of different Fe sources on pepper (Capsicum annum) plants in aquaporin system. Scienta Horticultural. 2012;146,182-91.
- Danaee E, Abdossi V. Effects of silicon and nano-silicon on some morpho-physiological and phytochemical traits of peppermint (Mentha piperita) under salinity stress. Iranian Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Research. 2021;37,99-112.
- Khodabakhshzadeh S. Study of the effect of nano-fertilizers of iron and zinc chelate on growth and physiological factors of grapes (Vitis vinifera L.). M.Sc. thesis. Malayer University. (In Persian).
- Heidari M, Asgharipour M. Effect of different amounts of potassium sulfate on yield and yield components of grain sorghum under drought stress. Iranian Journal of Crop Research. 2012; 371-384.
- Tarafdar JC, Raliya R, Mahawar H, Rathore I. Development of zinc nanofertilizer to enhance crop production in pearl millet (Pennisetum americanum). Agriculture Research. 2014;3,257-62.
- Yavari Z, Moradi H, Barzegar B, Sadeghi H. Evaluation of antioxidant activity and some morphological traits of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller) in the treatment of different levels of vermicompost and foliar application of nanopotassium. Plant Production Functional. 2015;2,95-104.
- Fallahi A, Hassani, AS, Sefidkan, F. Effect of foliar application of various zinc sources on yield and phytochemical properties of basil (Ocimum basilicum). Iranian Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Research. 2016; 32, 743-757.
- Derakhshani Z, Hassani A, Sefidkon F, RasouliSadaghiani MH, Hassanpouraghdam MB, Gheibi SA. Effects of soil and foliar application of zinc on some growth characteristics and essential oil of costmary (Tanacetum balsamita). Iranian Journal of Horticulture Science and Technogy. 2011;12,99-110.
- Yousefzadeh S, Naqdi Badi H, Sabbaghnia N, Janmohammadi M. The effect of foliar application of iron nanoclate on physiological and chemical properties of Badershbo plant. Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2016; 15, 152-160.
- Dabbagh M, Mashayekhi K, Qarkhlu J, Varasteh F. Study of the effect of potassium permanganate on biochemical traits of edible onion (Allium cepa). Journal of Plant Production Research. 2016;23(3).
- Yavari Z, Moradi H, Barzegar B, Sadeghi, H. Evaluation of antioxidant activity and some morphological traits of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller) in the treatment of different levels of vermicompost and foliar application of nanopotassium. Plant Production Functional. 2013;2,95-104.
- Danaee E, Abdossi V. Evaluation of the effect of foliar application of iron, potassium and zinc nanochelates on enzymatic activity and Nutritional value of some leafy vegetables. Food Science Nutrition. 16,45-54.
- Taghipour P. The effect of micronutrients (iron, zinc, manganese and barium) and humic acid on some quantitative and qualitative traits of thyme. M.Sc. thesis. Urmia University. 2014.
- Kolivand M. The effect of leaf nutrition of urea and iron chelate on quantitative and qualitative indices of grapes of "Bidaneh-Sefid" cultivar. M.Sc. thesis. Malayer University. 2014. (In Persian)
- Armin M, Akbari S, Mashhadi S. Effect of time and concentration of nano-Fe foliar application on yield components of wheat. International Journal of Bioscience. 2014; 4, 69-75.
- Gurmani AR, Khan SU, Andaleep R, Waseem K, Khan A. Soil application of zinc improves growth and yield of tomato. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology. 2012; 14(1).
- Soroori S, Danaee E, Hemmati, Ladan Moghadam A. Effect of foliar application of proline on morphological and physiological traits of Calendula officinalis L. under drought stress. Journal of Ornamental Plants, 2021;11,13-30.
- Allahdadi M, Musharraf, Borujeni L. The effect of different amounts of urea on some morphological and phytochemical characteristics of artichoke. Journal of Crop Ecology. 2019;13,49-60.
- El-Sawi SA, Mohamed MA. Cumin herb as a new source of essential oils and its response to foliar spray with some micro-elements. Food Chemistry. 2002;77,75-80.
- Garrido-Lestache E, Lopez-Bellido RJ, Lopez-Bellido L. Durum wheat quality underMediterranean conditions as affected by N rate, timing and splitting, N form and S fertilization. European Journal of Agronomy. 2005;23,265-78.
- Nejadasgari Chokami, K, Abdossi V, Samavat S, Ladan Moghadam A, Moradi P. Evaluation the impact of different polyamines on some nutritional composition of basil (Ocimum basilicum) hydroponic culture conditions. Food & Health. 2021; 4, 28-32.
- Najafian Sh, Zahedifar M. Productivity. Essential oil components and herbage yield, of sweet basil as a function of biochar and potassium-nano chelate. Journal of Essential Oil-bearing Plants. 2018;4,886-94.
- Tavallali V, Kiani M, Hojati Iron nano-complexes and iron chelate improve biological activities of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 2019;144,445-54.