Document Type : Original Article
Department of Food Science and Technology, Roudehen Branch, Islamic Azad University, Roudehen, Iran
Frozen yogurt is considered a useful and popular dairy product all over the world. The research was conducted to advance the formulation of strawberry frozen yogurt by chia seed at different concentrations (0 to 3 %). The aim of the present research was to improve nutritional quality and health benefits by frozen yogurt enriched with chia seeds. Initially, fatty acid profile in chia seeds was evaluated, then tests such as physicochemical (pH, acidity, fat, and protein content), colorimetric (L*, a* and b*), antioxidant, microbial counts, viscosity, melting rate, and overrun as well as sensory were analyzed on frozen yogurts during 21 days. Finally, the fatty acid profile in frozen yogurts was investigated on optimal and control samples. The results illustrated that 83.73 ± 0.3 of chia seed oil included polyunsaturated fatty acids. The results of physicochemical assays for frozen yogurt represented that treated samples had lower pH and higher acidity, fat, and protein compared to control. Chia improved textural (overrun, viscosity, melting rate) and antioxidant features of frozen yogurts as well as L* decreased. Enrichment had no significant effects on lactic acid bacteria counts. chia addition showed no significant influence on flavor and generally lacked in odor even in the highest amount. According to all results, the sample with 2 % chia was the most appropriate and improved polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially omega-3. Chia addition can be highlighted as a functional composition.
- Rezaei R, Khomeiri M, Kashaninezhad M, Alami M. Effects of guar gum and arabic gum on the physicochemical, sensory and flow behavior characteristics of frozen yoghurt. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 2011;64(4):563-8.
- Ahmadi A, Milani E, Madadlou A, Mortazavi SA, Rezaei Mokarram R, Salarbashi D. Synbiotic yogurt-ice cream produced via incorporation of microencapsulated Lactobacillus acidophilus (LA-5) and fructooligosaccharide. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2012;51(8):1568-74.
- Hassanpour MM, Sharifan A, Akhondzadeh basti A. The effect of probiotic strain of Lactobacillus fermentum on growth of Escherichia coli O111 during yogurt storage. Food & Health. 2019;2(3):16-22.
- Nagar GLE, Clowes G, Tudorica CM, Kuri V, Brennan CS. Rheological quality and stability of yog-ice cream with added inulin. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 2002;55(2):89-93.
- Gholami Z, Safavi SM, Saneei P, Feizi A, Adibi P. Determination of satiety index of low-fat yogurt in healthy normal-weight Isfahanian adults. Food & Health. 2018;1(1): 1-7.
- Benchikh Y, Aissaoui A, Allouch R, Mohellebi N. Optimising anthocyanin extraction from strawberry fruits using response surface methodology and application in yoghurt as natural colorants and antioxidants. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2020;58(1):1987-95.
- Kowaleski J, Quast LB, Steffens J, Lovato F, Rodrigues dos Santos L, Zambiazi da Silva S, Maschio de Souza D, Alceu Felicetti M. Functional yogurt with strawberries and chia seeds. Food Bioscience. 2020;37.
- Kwon HC, Bae H, Seo HG, Han SG. Short communication: Chia seed extract enhances physiochemical and antioxidant properties of yogurt. Journal of Dairy Science. 2019;102(6):4870-6.
- Milani E, Koocheki A. The effects of date syrup and guar gum on physical, rheological and sensory properties of low fat frozen yoghurt dessert. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 2011;64(1): 121-9.
- In W. Horwitz (Ed.), Official methods of analysis (17th ed.). Washington, D.C., USA: Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1997.
- Shen Y, Zheng L, Jin J, Li X, Fu J, Wang M, Guan Y, Song X. Phytochemical and biological characteristics of Mexican chia seed oil. Molecules. 2018;23(12): 3219-27.
- Nouri M, Ezzatpanah H. The quality of UHT skim milk as affected by addition of renneted skim milk. Nutrition and Food Sciences Research. 2017;4(3):39-46.
- Skryplonek K, Henriques M, D Gomes, Viegas J, Fonseca C, Pereira C, Dmytrów I, Małek M. Characteristics of lactose-free frozen yogurt with κ-carrageenan and corn starch as stabilizers. Journal of Dairy Science. 2019;102(9):7838-48.
- Alizadeh L, Abdolmaleki KH, Nayebzadeh K. Effects of cooling rate and aging process on crystallographic structure, whipping, rheological, textural and thermal properties of frozen minarine. Food & Health. 2020;3(2):29-34.
- Da Silva Marineli R, Lenquiste SA, Moraes EA, Maróstica M. Antioxidant potential of dietary chia seed and oil (Salvia hispanica) in diet-induced obese rats. Food Research International. 2015;76, 666-674.
- Da Silva BP, Anunciacao PC, Matyelka JCS, Della Lucia CM, Martino HSD, Pinheiro-SantAna HM. Chemical composition of Brazilian chia seeds grown in different places. Food Chemistry. 2017;221,1709-16.
- Akalin AS, Erisir D. Effects of inulin and oligofructose on the rheological characteristics and probiotic culture survival in low-fat probiotic ice cream. Journal of Food Science. 2008;73, 184-8.
- Perez J, Arteaga M, Andrade R, Durango A, Salcedo J. Effect of yam (Dioscorea) starch on the physicochemical, rheological, and sensory properties of yogurt. Heliyon. 2021;7(1).
- Hematian A, Nouri M, Safari S. Effect of Capparis spinosa extract on kashk quality during storage. Foods and Raw Materials. 2020;8(2):402-10.
- Helal A, Tagliazucchi D. Impact of in-vitro gastro-pancreatic digestion on polyphenols and cinnamaldehyde bioaccessibility and antioxidant activity in stirred cinnamon fortified yogurt. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2018;89,164-70.
- Santos MS, Estevinho LM, Carvalho CAL, Morais JS, Conceicao ALS, Magalhaes-Guedes K, Rogeria CCA. Probiotic Yogurt with Brazilian Red Propolis: Physicochemical and bioactive properties, stability, and shelf life. Journal of Food Science. 2019;82(12):429-36.
- Dervisoglu M, Yazici F, Aydemir O. The effect of soy protein concentrates addition on the physical, chemical, and sensory properties of strawberry flavored ice cream. European Food Research and Technology. 2005;221,466-70.
- Pop C, Vlaic R, Fărcaş A, Salanţă L, Ghicăşan D, Semeniuc C, Rotar AM. Influence of pollen, chia seeds and cranberries addition on the physical and probiotics characteristics of yogurt. Bulletin UASVM Food Science and Technology. 2015;72 ,141-