Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Food Science and Engineering, Faculty of Industrial and Mechanical Engineering, Qazvin Branch, Islamic Azad University, Qazvin, Iran
2 Department of Food Science and Engineering, Mahalat Branch, Islamic Azad University, Mahalat, Iran
3 Department of Fisheries, Faculty of Agriculture, Kermanshah Branch, Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah, Iran
In this research, nitrite was partially replaced with different concentrations of Berberis vulgaris and Rosmarinus officinalis (0, 30, 60, 90 mg/kg) extracts in the unfermented sausage. Samples were kept at refrigerator temperature and physicochemical and organoleptic evaluations of treatments were performed. The findings showed an increase in moisture and ash content and a decrease in fat and protein content, and IC50 by increasing the storage time. The highest level of antioxidant activity was reported for treatment with 90 mg/kg R. officinalis extract. As for sensory properties, 60 mg/kg treatment showed the highest sensory score after the control sample; however, 30 mg/kg treatment had the highest score in terms of consistency after the control sample. It can be concluded that 60 mg/kg R. officinalis extract has a better potential to improve the qualitative characteristics of unfermented sausage and it can be a proper substitute for decreasing the nitrite in sausage formulations.
- Nam KC, Ahn DU. Effects of ascorbic acid and antioxidants on the color of irradiated ground beef. Journal of Food Science. 2003;68(5):1686-90.
- Wójciak KM, Stasiak DM, Kęska P. The influence of different levels of sodium nitrite on the safety, oxidative stability, and color of minced roasted beef. Sustainability. 2019;11(14):3795.
- Gray JI, Gomaa EA, Buckley DJ. Oxidative quality and shelf life of meats. Meat Science. 1996;43:111-23.
- Marchello M, Garden-Robinson J. The art and practice of sausage making. 1st edition, Fargo: NSDU Extension Service. 2004;5.
- Pezeshki P. Investigation on the antimicrobial effects of Portulaca oleracea leaves essence and extract on Staphylococcus aureus to reduce nitrate used in meat products. The Journal of Food Technology Researches .2015;25(3),479-90.
- Kim SJ, Cho AR, Han J. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of leafy green vegetable extracts and their applications to meat product preservation. Food Control. 2013;29(1):112-20.
- Alahakoon AU, Jayasena DD, Ramachandra S, Jo C. Alternatives to nitrite in processed meat: Up to date. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 2015;45(1):37-49.
- Sindelar JJ, Milkowski AL. Sodium nitrite in processed meat and poultry meats: a review of curing and examining the risk/benefit of its use. American Meat Science Association White Paper Series. 2011;3:1-4.
- Sindelar JJ, Milkowski AL. Human safety controversies surrounding nitrate and nitrite in the diet. Nitric Oxide. 2012;26(4):259-66.
- Safari A, Izadpanahi A, and Mazlom S. Study the use of plant antioxidant in fisheries product to improve the quality of them, (In Persian). National Congress on Aquatic Animals. 2012; 9: 644-8.
- Huang B, He J, Ban X, Zeng H, Yao X, Wang Y. Antioxidant activity of bovine and porcine meat treated with extracts from edible lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) rhizome knot and leaf. Meat Science. 2011;87(1):46-53.
- Dawidowicz AL, Wianowska D, Baraniak B. The antioxidant properties of alcoholic extracts from Sambucus nigra L. (antioxidant properties of extracts). LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2006;39(3):308-15.
- Choobkar N, Soltani M, Ebrahimzadeh Mousavi HA, Akhonzadeh Basti A, Matinfar ABAS. Effect of Zataria multiflora Boiss essential oil on the growth of Staphylococcus aureus in the light salted fillets of silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix). Iranian Journal of Fisheries Sciences. 2010; 9(3): 352-359.
- Banerjee R, Verma AK, Das AK, Rajkumar V, Shewalkar AA, Narkhede HP. Antioxidant effects of broccoli powder extract in goat meat nuggets. Meat Science. 2012;91(2):179-84.
- Mollaei A, Rezaei K, Khodayian F & Razavi S. Segregate functional compound from barberry’s fruit extracts. Iranian National Functional Food Conference. 2010; 341-350.
- Moreno S, Scheyer T, Romano CS, Vojnov AA. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of rosemary extracts linked to their polyphenol composition. Free Radical Research. 2006;40(2):223-31.
- Tavassoli S, Emamjomeh Z. Total phenols, antioxidant potential and antimicrobial activity of methanol extract of rosemary. Global Veterinaria. 2012;7(4): 337-341.
- Visentin A, Rodríguez-Rojo S, Navarrete A, Maestri D, Cocero MJ. Precipitation and encapsulation of rosemary antioxidants by supercritical antisolvent process. Journal of Food Engineering. 2012;109(1):9-15.
- Rozman T, Jersek B. Antimicrobial activity of rosemary extracts (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) against different species of Listeria. Acta Agriculturae Slovenica. 2009;93(1):51.
- Ahmadi-Aghdam E, Hesari J, Azadmard-Damirchi S. Effect of cichorium extract on physicochemical properties and stability of butter from sour cream. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2016;14:115-122.
- Khaleghi A, Kasaai R, khosravi D. K, and Rezaei K. Combined use of black barberry (Berberis crataegina L.) extract and nitrite in cooked beef sausages during the refrigerated storage. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2016; 14:115-122.
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 1996. Determination method of pH value in meat products (without using alcohol). 1st revision, ISIRI No. 1028. [In Persian].
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 2003. Meat and meat products - Determination of moisture content – Test method (reference method). 1st Revision, ISIRI No. 745. [In Persian].
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 1996. Determination method of protein content in meat products (without using alcohol). 1st revision, ISIRI No. 924. [In Persian].
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 2002. Meat and meat products - Determination of total fat content – Test method. 2nd Revision, ISIRI No. 742. [In Persian]
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 2003. Meat and meat products - Determination of total ash – Test method. 1st revision, ISIRI No. 744. [In Persian].
- Sousa CMM, Silva GM, Vieira Junior MC, Ayres CLS, Costa DS, Araujo LCD, Cavalcante ED, Barros PBM, Araujo MS, Brandao MH, Chaves MH. Fenois totaise atividade antioxidante de cinco plantas medicinais. Quimica Nova. 2007; 30:351-5.
- Indumathi J, Obula Reddy B. Effect of different natural antioxidant extracts on the shelf life of functional chicken meat nuggets. International Journal of Advanced Research. 2015;3(6):820-8.
- Shon JH, Eo JH, Choi YH. Gelatin coating on quality attributes of sausage during refrigerated storage. Food Science of Animal Resources. 2011;31(6):834-42.
- Ragab MS, Abdel Wahed HM, Omar E.M, Mohamed WHA. Effect of adding citric and lactic acids to broiler diets different in their protein content on productive performance, bacterial count and some blood parameters. Egyptian Journal of Nutrition and Feeds. 2012;15,613-629.
- Sucu C, Turp GY. The investigation of the use of beetroot powder in Turkish fermented beef sausage (Sucuk) as nitrite alternative. Meat Science. 2018;140:158-66.
- Kim TK, Kim YB, Jeon KH, Park JD, Sung JM, Choi HW, Hwang KE, Choi YS. Effect of fermented spinach as sources of pre-converted nitrite on color development of cured pork loin. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources. 2017;37(1):105.
- Emiroğlu ZK, Yemiş GP, Coşkun BK, Candoğan K. Antimicrobial activity of soy edible films incorporated with thyme and oregano essential oils on fresh ground beef patties. Meat Science. 2010;86(2):283-8.
- Uren A, Babayiğit D. Colour parameters of Turkish-type fermented sausage during fermentation and ripening. Meat Science. 1997;45(4):539-49.
- Mohamed HM, Mansour HA. Incorporating essential oils of marjoram and rosemary in the formulation of beef patties manufactured with mechanically deboned poultry meat to improve the lipid stability and sensory attributes. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2012;45(1):79-87.
- Davies AR, Board RJ, Board RG, editors. Microbiology of meat and poultry. Springer Science & Business Media. 1998; 68:125-131.
- Pour Mollaei F, JafarPour A, Yeganeh S. The study of antioxidant and antibacterial effects of Origanum vulgare L. on the shelf life of surimi made of Cyprinus carpio during freezing storage (-18°C). Fisheries. 2017;70: 44-59.
- Viuda-Martos M, Ruiz-Navajas Y, Fernández-López J, Pérez-Álvarez JA. Effect of adding citrus waste water, thyme and oregano essential oil on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of a bologna sausage. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. 2009;10(4):655-60.
- Faustman C, Sun Q, Mancini R, Suman SP. Myoglobin and lipid oxidation interactions: Mechanistic bases and control. Meat Science. 2010;86(1):86-94.
- Zhang X, Li D, Meng Q, He C, Ren L. Effect of mulberry leaf extracts on color, lipid oxidation, antioxidant enzyme activities and oxidative breakdown products of raw ground beef during refrigerated storage. Journal of Food Quality. 2016;39(3):159-70.
- Formanek Z, Kerry, JP, Buckley, DJ, Morrissey PA, Farkas J. Effects of dietary vitamin E supplementation and packaging on the quality of minced beef. Meat Science. 1998;50(2), 203-10.
- Jin Z, Li Y, Ren R, Qin N. Yield, nutritional content, and antioxidant activity of Pleurotus ostreatus on corncobs supplemented with herb residues. Microbiology. 2018; 46: 24-32.
- Rather SA, Masoodi FA, Akhter R, Rather JA, Shiekh KA. Advances in use of natural antioxidants as food additives for improving the oxidative stability of meat products. Madridge Journal of Food Technology. 2016;1(1):10-7.
- de Oliveira TL, de Carvalho SM, de Araújo Soares R, Andrade MA, das Graças Cardoso M, Ramos EM, Piccoli RH. Antioxidant effects of Satureja montana L. essential oil on TBARS and color of mortadella-type sausages formulated with different levels of sodium nitrite. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2012;45(2):204-12.
- El Abed N, Kaabi B, Smaali MI, Chabbouh M, Habibi K, Mejri M, Marzouki MN, Ben Hadj Ahmed S. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Thymus capitata essential oil with its preservative effect against Listeria monocytogenes inoculated in minced beef meat. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2014;1-11.
- Mc Carthy TL, Kerry JP, Kerry JF, Lynch PB, Buckley DJ. Assessment of the antioxidant potential of natural food and plant extracts in fresh and previously frozen pork patties. Meat Science. 2001;57(2):177-84.
- Sebranek JG, Sewalt VJ, Robbins K, Houser TA. Comparison of a natural rosemary extract and BHA/BHT for relative antioxidant effectiveness in pork sausage. Meat Science. 2005;69(2):289-96.
- Karpinska M, Borowski J, Danowska-Oziewicz M. The use of natural antioxidants in ready-to-serve food. Food Chemistry. 2001;72(1):5-9.
- Simitzis PE, Deligeorgis SG, Bizelis JA, Dardamani A, Theodosiou I, Fegeros K. Effect of dietary oregano oil supplementation on lamb meat characteristics. Meat Science. 2008 Jun 1;79(2):217-23.
- Sharififar F, Moshafi MH, Mansouri SH, Khodashenas M, Khoshnoodi M. In vitro evaluation of antibacterial and antioxidant activities of the essential oil and methanol extract of endemic Zataria multiflora Boiss. Food Control. 2007;18(7):800-5.
- Jamwal A, Kumar S, Bhat ZF, Kumar A, Kaur S. The quality and storage stability of chicken patties prepared with different additives. Nutrition & Food Science. 2015;45(5):728-39.
- Nath PM, Kumar V, Praveen PK, Ganguly S. A comparative study of green tea extract and Rosemary extract on quality characteristics of chevon patties. International Journal of Science, Environment and Technology. 2016;5(3):1680-8.
- Kant MR, Sabelis MW, Haring MA, Schuurink RC. Intraspecific variation in a generalist herbivore accounts for differential induction and impact of host plant defenses. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 2008; 275(1633): 443-52.
- Lynch MP, Faustman C. Effect of aldehyde lipid oxidation products on myoglobin. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2000;48(3):600-4.
- Ismail HA, Lee EJ, Ko KY, Ahn DU. Effects of aging time and natural antioxidants on the color, lipid oxidation and volatiles of irradiated ground beef. Meat Science. 2008;80(3):582-91.
- Nam KC, Jo C, Lee M. Meat products and consumption culture in the East. Meat Science. 2010;86(1):95-102.
- Hunt MC, Sørheim O, Slinde E. Color and heat denaturation of myoglobin forms in ground beef. Journal of Food Science. 1999;64(5):847-51.
- Schmidt GR. Processing and fabrication. Muscle as food. (Academic Press, New York, USA). 1986;201-39.
- Rohlík BA, PiPek P, PáNek J. The effect of natural antioxidants on the colour of dried/cooked sausages. Czech Journal of Food Sciences. 2010;28(4):249-57.
- Morrissey PA, Sheehy PJ, Galvin K, Kerry JP, Buckley DJ. Lipid stability in meat and meat products. Meat Science. 1998;49:S73-86.