Document Type : Original Article
Department of Food Safety and Hygiene, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Deptartment of Food Quality Control and Hygiene, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, Tehran, Iran
Signs and marks in packaging have an important role in marketing and identification of the products. The purpose of this study was to determine the accuracy of the inclusion of this information and its compliance with the criteria established by the Food and Drug Administration to identify errors and frauds. In this descriptive-analytical study, 272 samples of dairy products were selected, and their labels were photographed, then the information investigated with documents in Food and Drug Administration and the general guidelines of food and beverages. Finally, data were analyzed with SPSS software and chi-square tests. Based on the results of this study, it was found that in general, 4%, 7%, 1.1%, 11%, 8.4%, 25% and 18% of the products presented in Tehran were respectively. The defects did not have the weight net, license number, production date and expiration of the product and the ingredients (same percentage), batch number, storage conditions, instructions for preparation, and the requirements and health recommendations. In nutritional claims, most claims were related to fat, salt and fiber and 7.7% of the products contained claims for health. 45.2% of the samples have descriptive statements, that 18.15% were unauthorized. 14% of the samples lack traffic lights nutrition and 39% did not have a nutrition facts table. Also, 9.9% of the samples were illegible and were not read clearly. Food labels are a tool for measuring the health of products and will have a significant role in reducing NCD. This study reveals the more rigorous monitoring of food labels.
- Afshoon, E., et al. Food habits and some related factors in families of Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad. in 9th Iranian Nutrition Congress. 2006. Tabriz University of Medical Sciences.
- Soheili Azad A, Nourjah N, Norouzi F. Survey the eating pattern between elementary students in Langrood. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences. 2007;16(62):36-41.
- Karandish M, Djazayery A, Mahmoudi M, Behrouz A, Moramezi F. The effect of calcium supplements during pregnancy on birth weight. Journal of Reproduction and Infertility. 2003;3(15):184-91.
- Yaghoobi, A., L. Moosavi, and M. Javdan, Survey Microbial Status of Milk and Dairy Products in Hamedan Province 2004-2005. 9th Iranian Nutrition Congress, 2005.
- Hajiabdolbaghi, T., et al. Survey effect of education on the attitude in women that referring to health centers in south of Tehran to use the non-pasteurized dairy products (local) in 2005-2003. 2006. Tabriz University of Medical Sciences.
- Teimouire A. National north milk festival, ed. F. edition. 2006, Tehran: Avai-e-Masieh Publications.
- Jooyande H, Mortazavi A, Rohani M. Milk Technology and dairy products. 1995, Mashhad: Ferdowsi University of Mashhad.
- Adegboye ARA, Christensen LB, Holm-Pedersen P, Avlund K, Boucher BJ, Heitmann BL. Intakes of calcium, vitamin D, and dairy servings and dental plaque in older Danish adults. Nutrition Journal. 2013;12(1):61.
- Lampe JW. Dairy products and cancer. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2011;30(sup5):464S-70S.
- Dong JY, Zhang L, He K, Qin LQ. Dairy consumption and risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2011;127(1):23-31.
- Crichton GE, Elias MF Dore, GA, Abhayaratna WP, Robbins MA. Relations between dairy food intake and arterial stiffness: pulse wave velocity and pulse pressure. Hypertension. 2012;59(5):1044-51.
- Elwood PC, Givens D I, Beswick AD, Fehily AM, Pickering JE, Gallacher J. The survival advantage of milk and dairy consumption: an overview of evidence from cohort studies of vascular diseases, diabetes and cancer. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2008;27(6):723S-34S.
- Singh G, Arora S, Sharma GS, Sindhu JS, Kansal VK, Sangwan RB. Heat stability and calcium bioavailability of calcium-fortified milk. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2007;40(4):625-31.
- Prentice A. Milk intake, calcium and vitamin D in pregnancy and lactation: effects on maternal, fetal and infant bone in low-and high-income countries, in Milk and Milk Products in Human Nutrition. 2011, Karger Publishers. p. 1-15.
- Yekefallah L, Vaezi AA, Pazokian M, Yekefallah F, Samieefard F. Study of lifestyle and preventive behaviors of osteoporosis among adolescents in Qazvin. SSU_Journals. 2012;20(3):259-68.
- Khorsandi M, Shamsi M, Jahani F. The survey of practice about prevention of osteoporosis based on health belief model in pregnant women in Arak city. Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. 2013. 12(1): p. 35-46.
- Vakili M, Kavosi E, Shenavar M. A survey on food consumption patterns and nutritional status families in Fars province in 2002. in 9th Iranian Nutrition Congress 2006. Tabriz University of Medical Sciences.
- Code of dietary and sports supplements, M.o.H.A.M.E., Food and Drug Administration Food and Drug Administration,in PEI/CrV1/0029. August 2011.
- Delshadian, Z., et al. Evaluation of food labeling for dairy, meat and fruit juice products launched in tehran market. 2015.
- Mirghotbi M, Bajan M, Amiri Z. A survey knowledge and practice of consumer in food labels. Payesh, 2010;11(4):505-10.
- Torres-Moreno M, Tarrega A, Torrescasana E, Blanch C. Influence of label information on dark chocolate acceptability. Appetite. 2012;58(2):665-71.
- Borra S. Consumer perspectives on food labels. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2006;83(5):1235S.
- Grunert KG, Wills JM, Fernández-Celemín L. Nutrition knowledge, and use and understanding of nutrition information on food labels among consumers in the UK. Appetite, 2010;55(2):177-89.
- Campos S. Doxey J, Hammond D. Nutrition labels on pre-packaged foods: a systematic review. Public Health Nutrition. 2011;14(8): 1496-506.
- Cowburn G, Stockley L. Consumer understanding and use of nutrition labelling: a systematic review. Public Health Nutrition. 2005;8(1):21-8.
- Hawley KL, Roberto CA, Bragg MA, Liu PJ, Schwartz MB, Brownell K D. The science on front-of-package food labels. Public Health Nutrition. 2013;16(3):430-9.
- Hersey JC, Wohlgenant KC, Arsenault JE, Kosa KM, Muth MK. Effects of front-of-package and shelf nutrition labeling systems on consumers. Nutrition Reviews. 2013;71(1):1-14.
- Hieke S. Taylor CR. A critical review of the literature on nutritional labeling. Journal of Consumer Affairs. 2012;46(1):120-56.
- Mhurchu CN, Gorton D. Nutrition labels and claims in New Zealand and Australia: a review of use and understanding. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 2007;31(2):105-12.
- Wartella EA, Lichtenstein AH, Boon CS. Examination of front-of-package nutrition rating systems and symbols. Phase 1 report. Institute of Medicine (IOM), 2010.
- Rayner M, Wood A, Lawrence M, Mhurchu C N, Albert J, Barquera S, Friel S, Hawkes C, Kelly B, Kumanyika S, L'abbé M, Lee A, Lobstein T, Ma J, Macmullan J, Mohan S, Monteiro C, Neal B, Sacks G, Sanders D, Snowdon W, Swinburn B, Vandevijvere S, Walker C. Monitoring the health‐related labelling of foods and non‐alcoholic beverages in retail settings. Obesity Review. 2013;14,70-81.
- Mohtasab, T.A., et al. Survey of microbiology of milk and dairy products pasteurized in Kashan city 2005. in 9th Iranian Nutrition Congress. 2006. Tabriz University of Medical Sciences.
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran, skimmed milk ice-cream powder– Specifications & Test Methods.ISIRI no 20217. 1st edition,ISIRI; 2016. (In Persian).
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. Processed analogue cheese - Specifications. ISIRI no 10696.1st edition, ISIRI ;2007. (In Persian)
- Alimentarius C. Food Labelling 5th ed. 2007, Rome: FAO/WHO.
- Richardson D. Food fortification. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 1990;49(1):39-50.
- Siu S. Examination of probiotics labeling: analyzing the accuracy of labeling on probiotic products. 2018.
- Silva, E.G., et al., Adequacy of probiotic and prebiotic dairy foods labeling. International Journal of Probiotics & Prebiotics. 2010;5(1): 27.
- Lin CTJ, Lee JY, Yen ST. Do dietary intakes affect search for nutrient information on food labels? Social Science & Medicine. 2004;59(9):1955-67.
- Zafar MZ, Hashim NA, Halim F. Food label makes individual healthy. Journal of Scientific Research and Development. 2016;3(1):68-76.
- Besler HT, Buyuktuncer Z, Uyar MF. Consumer understanding and use of food and nutrition labeling in Turkey. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2012;44(6):584-91.
- Shine A, O’Reilly S, O’Sullivan K. Consumer attitudes to nutrition labelling. British Food Journal. 1997;99(8):283-9.
- Legault L, Brandt MB, McCabe N, Adler C, Brown AM, Brecher S. 2000–2001 food label and package survey: an update on prevalence of nutrition labeling and claims on processed, packaged foods. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2004;104(6):952-8.
- Stein K. A national approach to restaurant menu labeling: the Patient Protection and Affordable Health Care Act, Section 4205. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2010;110(9):1283.
- Carbone ET, Zoellner JM. Nutrition and health literacy: a systematic review to inform nutrition research and practice. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2012;112(2):254-65.
- Kindig DA, Panzer AM, Nielsen-Bohlman L. Health literacy: a prescription to end confusion. 2004: National Academies Press.
- Morley B, Scully M, Martin J, Niven P, Dixon H, Wakefield M. What types of nutrition menu labelling lead consumers to select less energy-dense fast food? An experimental study. Appetite. 2013;67,8-15.
- Roberto CA, Bragg MA, Schwartz MB, Seamans MJ, Musicus A, Novak N, Brownell KD. Facts up front versus traffic light food labels: a randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2012;43(2):134-41.
- Thorndike AN, Sonnenberg L, Riis J, Barraclough S, Levy DE. A 2-phase labeling and choice architecture intervention to improve healthy food and beverage choices. American Journal of Public Health. 2012;102(3):527-33.
- Borgmeier I, Westenhoefer J. Impact of different food label formats on healthiness evaluation and food choice of consumers: a randomized-controlled study. BMC Public Health. 2009;9(1):84.
- Kelly B, Hughes C, Chapman K, Louie JCY, Dixon H, Crawford J, King L, Daube M, Slevin T. Consumer testing of the acceptability and effectiveness of front-of-pack food labelling systems for the Australian grocery market. Health Promotion International. 2009;24(2):120-9.
- Thorndike AN, Riis J, Sonnenberg LM, Levy DE. Traffic-light labels and choice architecture: promoting healthy food choices. American journal of preventive medicine. 2014; 46(2):143-9.
- Mackey MA, Metz M. Ease of reading of mandatory information on Canadian food product labels. International Journal of Consumer Studies. 2009;33(4):369-81.