Document Type : Original Article
Department of Horticulture Science, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Horticultural Sciences, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran
Department of Horticultural Sciences, Saveh Branch, Islamic Azad University, Saveh, Iran
Currently in order to develop healthy foods, the usage of organic fertilizers has received more consideration as a suitable suggestion for the application of chemical fertilizers. Cucumbers, a fruit in the Cucurbitaceae family, have many uses for salad as a food. This research was carried out to figure out the impact of chicken manure tea and vermicompost on some nutritional traits in cucumber fruit (Cucumis sativus cv. Extreme), in a greenhouse in Iran's Tehran province. The study was factorial in a randomized completely block design with four replications. Treatments were control (without any fertilizer), control with chemical fertilizer (20-20-20), vermicompost in two levels (20 and 30 %), and chicken manure tea (1/4, 1/8, and 1/12). At the end of the grown season, fruits were harvested. Some nutrients traits were measured. Results showed that increasing the amount of chicken manure tea (up to 1/8 v/v) significantly increased trace elements (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Manganese) of cucumber. By enhancement in the content of chicken manure tea (1/4 v/v), all traits showed the same result as treatment with chemical fertilizer. So, manure fertilizer can be used for the improvement of nutritional value in cucumber cultivation to produce healthy foods.
- Mukherjee PK. Phytochemical and therapeutic potential of cucumber. Fitoterapia. 2013;84,227-36.
- Hernandez T, Chocano C, Moreno JL, Garcia C. Towards a more sustainable fertilization: Combined use of compost and inorganic fertilization for tomato cultivation. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 2014;196(15),178-84.
- Singh R, Sharma RR, Kumar S, Gupto RK, Patil RT. Vermicompost substitution influences growth, physiological disorder, fruit yield and quality of strawberry (Fragaria ananassa Duch). Bioresource and Technology. 2008;99,8507-11.
- Broadbent FE. Effects of organic matter on nitrogen and phosphorus supply to plants. In: Chen Y, Avnimelech Y. (eds) The role of organic matter in modern agriculture. Developments in plant and soil sciences, vol 25. 1986. Springer, Dordrecht.
- Warman PR, AngLopez MJ. Vermicompost derived from different feedstocks as a plant growth medium. Bioresource and Technology. 2010;101,4479-83.
- Archana PP, Theodore JKR, Ngyuen VH, Stephen TT, Kristen AK. Vermicompost extracts influence growth, mineral nutrients, phytonutrients and antioxidant activity in pak choi (Brassica rapa cv. Bonsai) grown under vermicompost and chemical fertiliser. Journal of Science Food and Agriculture. 2009;89:2383-92.
- Momeni D. Study and assessment of different seed bed preparation for cucumber planting in greenhouse. International Symposium in High Technology Greenhouse System. Italy. 2007;16-23.
- Liu S, Meng J, Jiang L, Yang X, Lan Y, Cheng X, Chen W. Rice husk biochar impacts soil phosphorous availability, phosphatase activities and bacterial community characteristics in three different soil types. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 2017;116,12-22.
- Yan X, Wang D, Zhang H, Zhang G, Wei Z. Organic amendments affect phosphorus sorption characteristics in a paddy soil. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 2013;175,47-53.
- Wei F, Shi Z, Wan R. Impact of phosphorus fertilizer level on the yield and metabolome of goji fruit. Scientific Reports. (2020);10,14656-65.
- Medeiros Reinaldo F, Pereira Walter E, Rodrigues Rummenigge de M, Nascimento Ronaldo do, Suassuna Janivan F, Dantas Tony AG Growth and yield of strawberry plants fertilized with nitrogen and phosphorus. Revista Brasileira de Engenharia Agrícola e Ambiental. 2015;19(9),865-70.
- Abou El-Magd, MM. Hoda, MA. Relationship, growth and yield of broccoli with increasing N, P or K ratio in a mixture of NPK fertilizers. Annals Agricultural Science Moshtohor. 2005;43 (2),791-805.
- Young TE, Jurik JA. Sullivan JG. Accumulation of the components of total solids in ripening fruits of tomato. Journal of American Society and Horticulture Science. 1993;118,286-92.
- Arafa MM, Shalabey OE. Effect of zinc and organic manures on yield and fruit chemical composition of pepper plants grown on newly reclaimed soils. Annals of Agricultural Science (Cairo). 2007;(52),441-50.
- Premamali M, Kannangara KN, Yapa PI. Impact of composting on growth, vitamin C and calcium content of capsicum Chinese. SustainableAgriculture Research. 2019;8(3):57-65.
- Gerendás J, Führs H. The significance of magnesium for crop quality. Plant Soil. 2013;368,101-28.
- Hussein AHA. 2008. Impact of nitrogen and potassium fertilization on Khalas date palm cultivar, yield fruit characteristics, leaf and fruit nutrient content in Al-Hassan oasis, KSA. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2008;35,33-48.
- Obrador A, Gonzalez D, Jose M. Alvarez Effect of inorganic and organic copper fertilizers on copper nutrition in Spinacia oleracea and on labile copper in soil. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2013;61(20),4692-01.