Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Horticulture Science, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Chemistry, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
3 Department of Horticultural Sciences, Saveh Branch, Islamic Azad University, Saveh, Iran
The increasing need for enhanced fresh food shelf life, as well as require of protection against forborne diseases, stimulate the growth of antimicrobial food packaging. Among the most impressive ways, the mixture of organic-inorganic, packaging, i.e. polymer inserted metal nanoparticles demonstrate to be extremely, useful. Silver nanoparticles, particularly, have antimicrobial, anti-fungi, anti-yeasts, and anti-viral activities and can be joined with both non-degradable and edible polymers for fresh packaging. The present application of AgNPs in fresh vegetable packaging is arranged by EU and USA food safety authorities carefully, due to the incapability to make certain bulletin on their toxicity. Hence, their use is figuring out in terms of Ag+ transformation into the packed food. This study was done to determine the effect of plastics embedded silver nanoparticles at concentrations of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 ppm on some cucumber postharvest traits. In addition, it was examined the evaluation of the efficacy of AgNPs-containing hybrid materials to assure fresh vegetable safety. The results indicated that plastic bags were made successfully and 60 ppm concentration of silver nanoparticles was more effective than all other treatments on postharvest characters. Soluble solids concentration, TSS, Vitamin C, Zn, Cu, Fe, Mn, Mg, and K, is significantly affected by using bags. Cucumbers shelf life is relatively long, lasting 21 days whereas control was 13 days. In addition, the highest level of silver penetration (1.99±0.002 ppb) in exocarp, (0.25±0.006 ppb) in mesocarp, and (0.30±0.006 ppb) in endocarp was associated with the treatment of 60 ppm silver nanoparticles in cucumber. So, these bags could be used for increasing shelf life in cucumber.
- Morris JK. How safe is our food? Emergency Infect Disease. 2011;17, 126–128.
- Vermeiren L, Devlieghere F, Debevere J. Effectiveness of some recent antimicrobial packaging concepts. Food Addition Contamination. 2002;19, 163–171.
- Cushen M, Kerry J, Morris M, Cruz-Romero M, Cummins E. Migration and exposure assessment of silver from a PVC nanocomposite. Food Chemistry. 2013;139, 389–397.
- Bumbudsanpharoke N, Ko S. Nano-food packaging: an overview of market, migration research and safety regulations. Journal of Food Science. 2015;80, R910–R923.
- [EFSA] European Food Safety Authority. Guidance on the risk assessm, ent of the vapplication of nanoscience and nanotechnology in the food and feed chain. EFSA. 2011;9 (5), 2140.
- Hussain SM, Schlager JJ. Safty evaluation of silver nanoparticles: inhalation model for chronic exposure. Toxicology Science. 2009;108(2): 223-224.
- Morones JR, Elechiguerra JL, Camacho A, Holt K, Kouri JB, Ramírez JT. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology. 2005;16:23-46.
- Faghihi R, Larijani K, AbdossiV, Moradi P. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles by grapefruit’s peel and effect of these nanoparticles on superoxide dismutase enzyme activity and growth of cucumber plants inoculated with Rhizoctonia solani. Oriental Journal of Chemistry. 2017;33(6) 2-11.
- Van De Velde F, Tarola AM, Güemes D, Pirovani ME. Bioactive compounds and antioxidant capacity of Camarosa and Selva strawberries (Fragaria × ananassa Duch). Foods. 2013; 2 :120-131.
- Shafiee M, Taghavi TS, Babalar M. Addition of salicylic acid to nutrient solution combined with postharvest treatments (hot water, salicylic acid, and calcium dipping) improved postharvest fruit quality of strawberry. Scieta Horticltura. 2010;124:40-45.
- Ayala-Zavala JF, Wang SY, Wang CY, Gonzalez-Aguilar GA. High oxygen treatment increases antioxidant capacity and postharvest life of strawberry fruit. Food Technology and Biotechnology. 2007;45:166– 173.
- Tadayon R, Mirzaei S, Rahimi M, Salari H. Investigation of the effect of silver nanoparticles on the persistence of Citrus sinensis orange fruit. Journal of Iranian Biology. 2016;29 (2): 45-52 (in persian).
- Mousavi FP, Pour HH, Heidari Nasab AAR, Barouni M. Investigation into shelf life of fresh dates and pistachios in a package modified with nano-silver. Global Journal of Health Science. 2016;8:134.
- Rahman MA, Islam MZ, Ul-Islam MA. Antibacterial activities of actinomycete isolates collected from soils of Rajshahi, Bangladesh. Biotechnology Research International .2016;1-6
- Kumar R, Munstedt H. Silver ion release from antimicrobial polyamide/silver composites. Biomaterials. 2005;26, 2081-2088
- Duncan TV. Applications of nanotechnology in food packaging and food safety: barrier materials, antimicrobials and sensors. Journal of Colloid Interface Science. 2011;363, 1-24.
- Fayaz AM, Balaji K, Girilal M, Kalaichelvan PT, Venkatesan R. Mycobased synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their incorporation into Sodium Alginate films for vegetable and fruit preservation. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry. 2009;57, 6246-6252.
- An J, Zhang M, Wang S, Tang J. Physical, chemical and microbiological changes in stored green asparagus spears as affected by coating of silver nanoparticles-PVP. LWT Food Science Technology. 2008;41, 1100–1107
- Li X, Xing Y, Jiang Y, Ding Y, Li W. Antimicrobial activities of ZnO powder-coated PVC film to inactivate food pathogens. Intentional Journal Food Science Technology. 2009;44, 2161-2168
- Emamifar A, Kadivar M, Shahedi M, Soleimanian-Zad S. Evaluation of nanocomposites packaging containing Ag and ZnO on shelf life of fresh orange juice. Innovation Food Science Emergency Technology. 2011a; 11, 742–748.
- Wajda R, Zirkel J, Schaffer T. Increase of bioavailability of coenzyme Q10 and vitamin E. Journal of Medical Food .2007;10:731e4.
- Pereira DI, Bruggraber SF, Faria N, Poots LK, Tagmount MA, Aslam MF, Frazer DM, Vulpe CD, Anderson GJ, Powell JJ. Nanoparticulate iron (III) oxo-hydroxide delivers safe iron that is well absorbed and utilised in humans. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine. 2014;10:1877e86.
- Kim MK, Lee JA, Jo MR, Kim MK, Kim HM, Oh JM, Song NW,Choi S-J. Cytotoxicity, uptake behaviors, and oral absorption of food grade calcium carbonate nanomaterials. Nanomaterials .2015;5:1938e54.
- Magro M, Campos R, Baratella D, Lima G, Hol_a K, Divoky C, Stollberger R, Malina O, Aparicio C, Zoppellaro G, Zbo_ril R, Vianello F. A magnetically drivable nanovehicle for curcumin with antioxidant capacity and MRI relaxation properties. Chemistry .2014;20:11913e20.
- Langer R, Peppas NA. Advances in biomaterials, drug delivery, and bionanotechnology. AIChE Journal. 2003;49, 2990–3006.