Document Type : Original Article
- Nima Babolanimogadam 1
- Ali Khanjari 1
- Afshin Akhondzadeh basti 1
- Seyed Hasan Sajjadi Alhashem 2
- Reza Teimourifard 1
- Faramarz Amiri 2
1 Department of Food Hygiene and Quality Control, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Food Science and Technology, Science and Research branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Biodegradable active packaging containing essential oils with antimicrobial properties is one alternative strategy that can be considered by the food packing industry to reduce the use of environmentally harmful synthetic polymers. Chitosan is a safe, natural, no allergen, and biocompatible polymer with health benefits. This study was conducted to investigate the effects of chitosan coating contain Ajwain essential oil (AEO) on the shelf-life of chicken breast meat during refrigerated storage. AEO was extracted and its composition was analyzed by GC/MS, the AEO was added to chitosan solution in different concentrations (0, 0.5%, and 1% (v/v)) and chicken breast meat was coated by chitosan solution, The microbiological properties of chicken breast meats, such Total aerobic mesophilic bacteria (AMB), Enterobacteriaceae, total aerobic psychrotrophic bacteria (APB), and Pseudomonas spp. were determined during 13 days of storage. The results showed that using of AEO has significant effects on the reduction of all followed groups of microorganisms compared with the control group. In the present study, 1% v/v AEO treatment was the most effective in microbial groups throughout the storage period. This study showed that chitosan coating contains 1% AEO have good antimicrobial activity and can be used to extend the shelf-life of the meat products.
- Patsias A, Badeka A V., Savvaidis IN, Kontominas MG. Combined effect of freeze chilling and MAP on quality parameters of raw chicken fillets. Food Microbiology. 2008;25(4):575-81.
- Khanjari A, Karabagias IK, Kontominas MG. Combined effect of N, O-carboxymethyl chitosan and oregano essential oil to extend shelf life and control Listeria monocytogenes in raw chicken meat fillets. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2016 ;25;53(1):94-9.
- Bazargani-Gilani B, Aliakbarlu J, Tajik H. Effect of pomegranate juice dipping and chitosan coating enriched with Zataria multiflora Boiss essential oil on the shelf-life of chicken meat during refrigerated storage. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. 2015;29:280-7.
- Petrou S, Tsiraki M, Giatrakou V, Savvaidis IN. Chitosan dipping or oregano oil treatments, singly or combined on modified atmosphere packaged chicken breast meat. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2012;156(3):264-71.
- Zhang H, Wu J, Guo X. Effects of antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of spice extracts on raw chicken meat quality. Food Science and Human Wellness. 2016;5(1):39-48.
- Ramos OL, Silva SI, Soares JC, Fernandes JC, Poças MF, Pintado ME, et al. Features and performance of edible films, obtained from whey protein isolate formulated with antimicrobial compounds. Food Research International. 2012;45(1):351-61.
- Burt S. Essential oils: their antibacterial properties and potential applications in foods-a review. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2004;94(3):223-53.
- Goudarzi GR, Saharkhiz MJ, Sattari M, Zomorodian K. Antibacterial activity and chemical composition of Ajowan (Carum copticum Benth. & Hook) essential oil. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2011;13(2):203-8.
- Bekhechi C, Boti JB, Bekkara FA, Abdelouahida DE, Casanova J, Tomi F. Isothymol in Ajowan essential oil. Natural Product Communications. 2010;5(7):1107-10.
- Malhotra SKK, Vijay OPP. Ajowan. Handbook of herbs and spices. 2004;2:107-16.
- Murthy PS, Borse BB, Khanum H, Srinivas P. Inhibitory effects of Ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi) ethanolic extract on A. ochraceus growth and ochratoxin production. Turkish Journal of Biology. 2009;33(3):211-7.
- Nagalakshmi S, Shankaracharya NB, Naik JP, Rao LJM. Studies on chemical and technological aspects of ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi (L.) Syn. Carum copticum Hiern) seeds. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2000;37(3):277-81.
- Oroojalian F, Kasra-Kermanshahi R, Azizi M, Bassami MRR. Phytochemical composition of the essential oils from three Apiaceae species and their antibacterial effects on food-borne pathogens. Food Chemistry. 2010;120(3):765-70.
- Adams RP. Identification of essential oil components by gas chromatography/ mass spectroscopy. Allured Pub. Corporation; 2007. 807 p.
- Ojagh SM, Rezaei M, Razavi SH, Hosseini SMH. Effect of chitosan coatings enriched with cinnamon oil on the quality of refrigerated rainbow trout. Food Chemistry. 2010;120(1):193-8.
- Fernández-Pan I, Carrión-Granda X, Maté JI. Antimicrobial efficiency of edible coatings on the preservation of chicken breast fillets. Food Control. 2014;36(1):69-75.
- Chouliara E, Karatapanis A, Savvaidis IN, Kontominas MG. Combined effect of oregano essential oil and modified atmosphere packaging on shelf-life extension of fresh chicken breast meat, stored at 4 °C. Food Microbiology. 2007;24(6):607-17.
- Senter SD, Arnold JW, Chew V. APC values and volatile compounds formed in commercially processed, raw chicken parts during storage at 4 and 13°C and under simulated temperature abuse conditions. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2000;80(10):1559–64.
- Moroney NC, O’Grady MN, O’Doherty J V., Kerry JP. Addition of seaweed (Laminaria digitata) extracts containing laminarin and fucoidan to porcine diets: Influence on the quality and shelf-life of fresh pork. Meat Science. 2012;92(4):423-9.
- Govaris A, Solomakos N, Pexara A, Chatzopoulou PS. The antimicrobial effect of oregano essential oil, nisin and their combination against Salmonella Enteritidis in minced sheep meat during refrigerated storage. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2010;137(2–3):175-80.
- Khajeh M, Yamini Y, Sefidkon F, Bahramifar N. Comparison of essential oil composition of Carum copticum obtained by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction and hydrodistillation methods. Food Chemistry. 2004;86(4):587-91.
- Rasooli I, Fakoor MH, Yadegarinia D, Gachkar L, Allameh A, Rezaei MB. Antimycotoxigenic characteristics of Rosmarinus officinalis and Trachyspermum copticum L. essential oils. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2008;122(1-2):135-9.
- Moazeni M, Saharkhiz MJ, Hosseini AA. In vitro lethal effect of Ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi L.) essential oil on hydatid cyst protoscoleces. Veterinary Parasitology. 2012;187(1-2):203-8.
- Georgantelis D, Ambrosiadis I, Katikou P, Blekas G, Georgakis SA. Effect of rosemary extract, chitosan and α-tocopherol on microbiological parameters and lipid oxidation of fresh pork sausages stored at 4 °C. Meat Science. 2007;76(1):172-81.
- Yingyuad S, Ruamsin S, Reekprkhon D, Douglas S, Pongamphai S, Siripatrawan U. Effect of chitosan coating and vacuum packaging on the quality of refrigerated grilled pork. Packaging Technology and Science 2006;19(3):149-57.
- Economou T, Pournis N, Ntzimani A, Savvaidis IN. Nisin-EDTA treatments and modified atmosphere packaging to increase fresh chicken meat shelf-life. Food Chemistry. 2009;114(4):1470–6.