Document Type : Original Article
Department of Laboratory Sciences, Zahedan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Zahedan, Iran
Department of Biology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Children and Adolescent Health Research Center, Resistant Tuberculosis Institute, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Department of Animal and Marine Biotechnology, National Institute of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (NIGEB), Tehran, Iran
Imbalance in the production of oxidative molecules and antioxidant activity plays an important role in carcinogenesis. This study was performed to evaluate the serum level of malondialdehyde (MDA) as oxidative damage marker, superoxide dismutase (SOD) as well as glutathione peroxidase (GPx) as an antioxidant defense system in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Twenty-five NHL patients and twenty-five healthy individuals were included in the study. The data showed that lower activity of enzymatic antioxidants (GPx, SOD) and higher MDA levels in NHL patients than in the control group. The results suggest that increased serum MDA and decreased SOD and GPx activity may be due to oxidative stress, which may play an important role in NHL formation. the role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of the NHL has not been extensively studied. Therefore, the present study aimed to measure the level of MDA as well as GPx and SOD activity in blood tissue collected from NHL patients compared with the control group.
- Aminian O, Abedi A, Chavoshi F, Ghasemi M, Rahmati-Najarkolaei F. Evaluation of occupational risk factors in non-Hodgkin lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease in Iranian men. Iranian Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2012;5(4):189.
- Morton LM, Wang SS, Cozen W, Linet MS, Chatterjee N, Davis S, et al. Etiologic heterogeneity among non-Hodgkin lymphoma subtypes. Blood, The Journal of the American Society of Hematology. 2008;112(13):5150-60.
- Bassig BA, Lan Q, Rothman N, Zhang Y, Zheng T. Current understanding of lifestyle and environmental factors and risk of non-hodgkin lymphoma: an epidemiological update. Journal of cancer epidemiology. 2012;2012.
- Braunwald E, Fauci AS. CD Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine: McGraw-Hill; 2008.
- Fine LJ, Rosenstock L. Cardiovascular disorders. Textbook of Clinical Occupational and Environmental Medicine: Elsevier; 2005. p. 549-63.
- McCunney RJ, Rountree PP. Occupational and Environmental Medicine: Self-assessment Review: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004.
- Tome ME, Johnson DB, Rimsza LM, Roberts RA, Grogan TM, Miller TP, et al. A redox signature score identifies diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients with a poor prognosis. Blood. 2005;106(10):3594-601.
- Manoharan S, Kolanjiappan K, Suresh K, Panjamurthy K. Lipid peroxidation & antioxidants status in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 2005;122(6):529.
- Landis GN, Tower J. Superoxide dismutase evolution and life span regulation. Mechanisms of ageing and development. 2005;126(3):365-79.
- Patel JB, Shah FD, Shukla SN, Shah PM, Patel PS. Role of nitric oxide and antioxidant enzymes in the pathogenesis of oral cancer. Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics. 2009;5(4):247.
- Burk RF, Olson GE, Winfrey VP, Hill KE, Yin D. Glutathione peroxidase-3 produced by the kidney binds to a population of basement membranes in the gastrointestinal tract and in other tissues. American Journal of Physiology-Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology. 2011;301(1):G32-G8.
- Lennarz WJ, Lane MD. Encyclopedia of biological chemistry: Academic Press; 2013.
- Valenzuela A. The biological significance of malondialdehyde determination in the assessment of tissue oxidative stress. Life Sciences. 1991;48(4):301-9.
- Esterbauer H, Cheeseman KH. Determination of aldehydic lipid peroxidation products: malonaldehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal. Methods in Enzymology. 186: Elsevier; 1990. p. 407-21.
- Esterbauer H, Schaur RJ, Zollner H. Chemistry and biochemistry of 4-hydroxynonenal, malonaldehyde and related aldehydes. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 1991;11(1):81-128.
- Lovell MA, Markesbery WR. Oxidative damage in mild cognitive impairment and early Alzheimer's disease. Journal of Neuroscience Research. 2007;85(14):3036-40.
- Mutlu-Türkoğlu Ü, Öztezcan S, Telci A, Orhan Y, Aykac-Toker G, Sıvas A, et al. An increase in lipoprotein oxidation and endogenous lipid peroxides in serum of obese women. Clinical and Experimental Medicine. 2003;2(4):171-4.
- Gutiérrez-García G, Cardesa-Salzmann T, Climent F, González-Barca E, Mercadal S, Mate JL, et al. Gene-expression profiling and not immunophenotypic algorithms predicts prognosis in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with immunochemotherapy. Blood. 2011;117(18):4836-43.
- Ott G, Ziepert M, Klapper W, Horn H, Szczepanowski M, Bernd H-W, et al. Immunoblastic morphology but not the immunohistochemical GCB/nonGCB classifier predicts outcome in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in the RICOVER-60 trial of the DSHNHL. Blood. 2010;116(23):4916-25.
- Asano T, Tsutsuda-Asano A, Fukunaga Y. Indomethacin overcomes doxorubicin resistance by decreasing intracellular content of glutathione and its conjugates with decreasing expression of γ-glutamylcysteine synthetase via promoter activity in doxorubicin-resistant leukemia cells. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 2009;64(4):715-21.
- Andreadis C, Gimotty PA, Wahl P, Hammond R, Houldsworth J, Schuster SJ, et al. Members of the glutathione and ABC-transporter families are associated with clinical outcome in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Blood. 2007;109(8):3409-16.
- Nourooz-Zadeh J, TAJADDINI-SARMADI J, Ling KE, WOLFF SP. Low-density lipoprotein is the major carrier of lipid hydroperoxides in plasma. Relevance to determination of total plasma lipid hydroperoxide concentrations. Biochemical Journal. 1996;313(3):781-6.
- Zadeh N, Ling K, Wolff S. Low-density lipoprotein is the major carrier of lipid hydroperoxides in plasma. Biochemical Journal. 1996. 1; 313(Pt 3): 781–786.
- Mei H, Thakur A, Schwartz J, Verde PL. Expression and characterization of glutathione peroxidase activity in the human blood fluke Schistosoma mansoni. Infection and Immunity. 1996;64(10):4299-306.
- Singh A, Pandey P, Tewari M, Pandey H, Gambhir I, Shukla H. Free radicals hasten head and neck cancer risk: A study of total oxidant, total antioxidant, DNA damage, and histological grade. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine. 2016;62(2):96.
- Manasaveena V, Akula K, Sangram V. A comparative evaluation of enzymatic antioxidant levels in pre and post therapy patients with oral cancer. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014;6(11):52-6.
- Tsamesidis I, Pantaleo A, Pekou A, Gusani A, Iliadis S, Makedou K, et al. Correlation of oxidative stress biomarkers and hematological parameters in blood cancer patients from Sardinia, Italy. International Journal of Hematology-Oncology and Stem Cell Research. 2019;13(2):49.
- Bewick M, Coutie W, Tudhope G. Superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and catalase in the red cells of patients with malignant lymphoma. British Journal of Haematology. 1987;65(3):347-50.
- Van Remmen H, Ikeno Y, Hamilton M, Pahlavani M, Wolf N, Thorpe SR, et al. Life-long reduction in MnSOD activity results in increased DNA damage and higher incidence of cancer but does not accelerate aging. Physiological Genomics. 2003;16(1):29-37.
- Srivastava KC, Austin RD, Shrivastava D, Sethupathy S, Rajesh S. A case control study to evaluate oxidative stress in plasma samples of oral malignancy. Contemporary Clinical Dentistry. 2012;3(3):271.
- Abou-Seif MA, Rabia A, Nasr M. Antioxidant status, erythrocyte membrane lipid peroxidation and osmotic fragility in malignant lymphoma patients. Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (CCLM). 2000;38(8):737-42.
- Bagul N, Ganjre A, Kheur S, Patekar D, Dasgupta S, Mahalle A. Serum levels of antioxidant in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma: a preliminary study. Journal of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2013;11(5):28-32.
- Strycharz-Dudziak M, Kiełczykowska M, Drop B, Świątek Ł, Kliszczewska E, Musik I, et al. Total Antioxidant Status (TAS), Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), and Glutathione Peroxidase (GPx) in Oropharyngeal Cancer Associated with EBV Infection. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2019;2019.