Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Food Science and Technology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Food Hygiene and Quality Control, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
The use of films with natural origins and natural antimicrobial agents has become one of the novel methods of food packaging. In this study, the antibacterial activity of active films against two microorganisms, Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 65138) and Escherichia coli O157: H7 (ATCC 25922) were evaluated by disk diffusion method. Also, the antimicrobial properties of gelatin film containing different concentrations of Pimpinella anisum essential oil (0, 0.3, and 0.6 and 0.9%) were studied on minced beef at refrigerator temperature. The treatments were stored for 8 days after packaging and the microbial (total count of aerobic bacteria, psychrophilic bacteria, Pseudomonas spp., Enterobacteriaceae and mold/yeast), chemical (TVB-N and peroxide value) and sensory (color, odor, and taste) properties were examined. The main components of the essential oil were trans-anethole (87.39%), (Carvone8.79%), and Hexadecanoic (2.26%), Heptadecane1.56%). Results showed that all microbial and chemical properties related to treatments containing antimicrobial agents were significantly (p<0.05) less than the control treatment. Considering the acceptable microbial limit for minced beef at refrigerator temperature, the shelf-life of treatments wrapped with films containing essential oils increased by at least 3 days without any adverse without any unfavorable organoleptic properties.
- Al-Holy MA, Al-Nabulsi A, Osaili TM, Ayyash MM, Shaker RR. Inactivation of Listeria innocua in brined white cheese by a combination of nisin and heat. Food Control. 2012;23(1), 48-53.
- Mohammed RA, Sulieman MA, Elgasim EA. Effect of bee honey in safety and storability of beef sausage. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 2013 12(6),560-566.
- Sharma PR, Varma AJ. Functionalized celluloses and their nanoparticles: Morphology, thermal properties, and solubility studies. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2014;104, 135-142.
- Azeredo HMC. Antimicrobial nanostructures in food packaging. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 2013;30(1), 56-69
- Pereda M, Marcovich NE, & Mosiewicki MA. Sodium caseinate films containing linseed oil resin as oily modifier. Food Hydrocolloids. 2015;44, 407-415.
- Falguera V, Quintero J P, Jiménez A, Muñoz JA, Ibarz A. Edible films and coatings: Structures, active functions and trends in their use. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 2011;22, 292-303.
- Al-Bayati FA. Synergistic antibacterial activity between Thymus vulgaris and Pimpinella anisum essential oils and methanol extracts. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2008;116(3), 403-406.
- Gülçin I, Oktay M, Kireçci E, Küfrevioǧlu ÖI. Screening of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of anise (Pimpinella anisum L.) seed extracts. Food Chemistry. 2003;83(3), 371–382.
- Ciftci M, Güler T, Dalkiliç B, Ertas ОN. The effect of anise oil (Pimpinella anisum L.) on broiler performance. International Journal of Poultry Science. 2005;4(11), 851-855.
- Abdel-Reheem MAT, Oraby M. Anti-microbial, cytotoxicity, and necrotic ripostes of Pimpinella anisum essential oil, Annals of Agricultural Sciences. 2015:60(2), 335-340.
- Rhim JW, Lee SB and Hong SI. Preparation and characterization of agar/clay nanocomposite films: the effect of clay type. Journal of Food Science. 2011;76, N40-N8.
- Seydim AC, Sarikus G. Antimicrobial activity of whey protein based edible films incorporated with oregano, rosemary and garlic essential oils. Food Research International. 2006;39(5), 639–644
- Polavka J, Paligová J, Cvengroš J. and Šimon, P. Oxidation stability of methyl esters studied by differential thermal analyses and Rancimat. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society. 2005;82.7. 519−524.
- Angiolillo L, Conte A, Del Nobile M. A. Technological strategies to produce functional meat burgers. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2015;62 (1, Part 2), 697-703.
- Özcan MM, Chalchat JC. Chemical composition and antifungal effect of anise (Pimpinella anisum L.) fruit oil at ripening stage. Annals of Microbiology. 2006;56(4), 353-358.
- Orav A, Raal A, Arak E. Essential oil composition of Pimpinella anisum L., fruits from various European countries. Natural Product Research. 2008 22: 227-232
- Ullah H, Mahmood A, Honermeier B. Essential oil and composition of anise (Pimpinella anisum L.) with varying seed rates and row spacing. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 2014;46(5): 1859–1864.
- Burt S. (2004). Essential oils and their antimicrobial properties and potential application in foods – a review. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2004;94, 233-253.
- Oroojalian F, Kasra-Kermanshahi R, Azizi M, Bassami MR. “Phytochemical composition of the essential oils from three Apiaceae species and their antibacterial effects on food-borne pathogens. Food Chemistry. 2010;20, pp.765–770.
- Kakaei S, Shahbazi Y. Effect of chitosan-gelatin film incorporated with ethanolic red grape seed extract and Ziziphora clinopodioides essential oil on survival of Listeria monocytogenes and chemical, microbial and sensory properties of minced trout fillet. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2016;72, 432–438.
- Volpe M, Siano F, Paolucci M, Sacco A, Sorrentino A, Malinconico M, Varricchio E. Active edible coating effectiveness in shelf-life enhancement of trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fillets. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2015;60(1), 615-622
- Ahmad M, Benjakul S, Sumpavapol P, Nirmal NP. (2012). Quality changes of sea bass slices wrapped with gelatin film incorporated with lemongrass essential oil. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2012;155(3), 171-178.
- Bao S, Xu S, Wang Z. Antioxidant activity and properties of gelatin films incorporated with tea polyphenol-loaded chitosan nanoparticles. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2009;89, 2692–2700.
- Kosalec I, Pepeljnjak S, Kustrak D. Antifungal activity of fluid extract and essential oil from anise fruits (Pimpinella anisum L., Apiaceae). Acta Pharmaceutica. 2005;55(4), 375-385.
- Amarowicz R, Pegg RB, Rahimi-Moghaddam P, Barl B. Weil JA. Free radical scavenging capacity and antioxidant activity of selected plant species from the Canadian prairies. Food Chemistry. 2004;84: 551-562.