Document Type : Original Article
Department of Fisheries, Faculty of Agriculture, Kermanshah Branch, Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah, Iran
Department of Food Science and Engineering, Mahalat Branch, Islamic Azad University, Mahalat, Iran
Department of Food Science and Engineering, Faculty of Industrial and Mechanical Engineering, Qazvin Branch, Islamic Azad University, Qazvin, Iran
In the present study, hydroalcoholic extract of dried and powdered plants was prepared. After producing the treatments, moisture, pH, ash, protein, and fat content, DPPH radical scavenging activity, and color parameters, and sensory evaluation in sausage samples during 45 days of cold storage were studied. The lowest and highest of pH value was related to treatment with the mixture extracts (0.25%) and Z. multiflora extract (1.5%) respectively. The lowest and highest protein content was related to 1% S. leriifolia and 2% Z. multiflora extract, respectively. Over time, the fat content in the control sample and all treatments has declined, also, the protein and ash content in treatments has decreased and increased respectively. Over time and with increasing the extracts concentration, L*, a* and b* values in all treatments decreased, increased, and decreased respectively. S. leriifolia extract has a more significant effect on the DPPH test in comparison with Z. multiflora extract. Two herbal extracts had a significant effect on the sensorial characteristics of all treatments. It can be said that, in terms of color parameters and free radical scavenging activity, the treatments with S. leriifolia extracts were better than control and treatments containing Z. multiflora extracts, while, the physicochemical and sensorial properties of recent treatments were better than S. leriifolia extracts and control.
- Devatkal SK, Thorat P, Manjunatha M. Effect of vacuum packaging and pomegranate peel extract on quality aspects of ground goat meat and nuggets. J Food Sci and Tech, 2012; 51(10): 2685- 2691.
- Shah MA, Bosco SJD, Mir S A. Plant extracts as natural antioxidants in meat and meat products. Meat Sci, 2014; 98: 21-33.
- Choobkar N, Akhondzadeh A, Sari AA, Gandomi H, Emami A.M. Effects of Zataria multiflora Boiss and nissin on the control of the quality of silver carp fillets, hypophthalmichthys molitrix. J med plants, 2012; 11(9): 205-215.
- Sahari MA, Asgari S. Effects of plants bioactive compounds on foods microbial spoilage and lipid oxidation. Food Sci and Tech, 2013; 1(3): 52-61.
- Burt S. Essential oils: their antibacterial properties and potential applications in foods (a review). Inter J Food Micr, 2004; 94(3): 223-253.
- Hosseinzadeh H, Sadeghnia HR, Imanshahidi M, Faziy bazzaz B.S. Review of the pharmacological and toxicological effects of Salvia lerrrfolia. Iranian J Basic Med Sci, 2009; 12(1):1-8.
- Khodaparast M H, Hosseini M. The Effect of environmental factors on germination of noroukh plant under laboratory conditions. Res Con Magazine, 1993; 37: 42-45.
- Kordsardouei H, Barzegar M, Sahari MA. Application of Zataria multiflora Boiss and Cinnamon zeylanicum essential oil as two natural preservatives in cake. J Phyto Med, 2013; 3(3): 238-247.
- Fazeli MR, Amin G, Attari MMA, Ashtiani H, Jamalifar H, et al. Antimicrobial activities of Iranian sumac and avishan-e shirazi (Zataria multiflora) against some food-borne bacteria. Food Control, 2007; 18(6): 646-649.
- Alavinezhad A, Hedayati M, Boskabady MH. The effect of Zataria multiflora and carvacrol on wheezing, FEV1 and plasma levels of nitrite in asthmatic patients. Avicenna J Phytomed, 2017; 7(6): 531-541.
- Molina-Salinas GM, Ramos-Guerra MC, Vargas-Villarreal J, Mata-Cardenas BD, Becerril-Montes P, et al. Bactericidal activity of organic extracts from Flourensia cernua DC against strains of mycobacterium tuberculosis. Arch Med Res, 2006; 37: 45-49.
- Hosseinzadeh H, Hosseini A, Nassiri-Asl M, Sadeghnia HR. Effect of Salvia leriifolia Benth. root extracts on ischemia-reperfusion in rat skeletal muscle. BMC Complement Altern Med, 2007; 7: 1-23.
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 1996. Determination method of protein content in meat products (without using alcohol). 1st revision, ISIRI No. 924. [In Persian]
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 1996. Determination method of pH value in meat products (without using alcohol). 1st revision, ISIRI No. 1028. [In Persian]
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 2002. Meat and meat products - Determination of total fat content – Test method. 2nd Revision, ISIRI No. 742. [In Persian]
- Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran. 2003. Meat and meat products - Determination of total ash – Test method. 1st revision, ISIRI No. 744. [In Persian]
- Alam, M N, Bristi, N J, Rafiquzzaman MD. Review on in vivo and in vitro methods evaluation of antioxidant activity. S P J, 2013; 21:143-152.
- Pimental T, Cruz A, Deliza R. Sensory evaluation: sensory rating and scoring methods. The Encyclopedia of Food and Health, 2016; 4: 744-749.
- Emiroglu ZK, Yemis GP, Coskun BK, Candogan K. Antimicrobial activity of soy edible films incorporated with thyme and oregano essential oils on fresh ground beef patties. Meat Sci, 2010; 86: 283–288.
- Mohamed HMH, Mansour H A. Incorporating essential oils of marjoram and rosemary in the formulation of beef patties manufactured with mechanically deboned poultry meat to improve the lipid stability and sensory attributes. LWT – Food Sci and Tech, 2012; 45: 79–87.
- Shon J, Eo J H, Choi Y H. Gelatin coating on quality attributes of sausage during refrigerated storage. Korean J Food Sci, 2011; 31: 834-842.
- Uren A, Babayigit D. Colour parameters of turkish-type fermented sausage during fermentation and ripening. Meat Sci, 1996; 45(4): 539-549.
- Viuda-Martos M, Ruiz-Navajas Y, Fernandez-Lopez J, Perez-Alvarez JA. Effect of adding citrus waste, thyme and oregano essential oil on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of a bologna sausage. Innov Food Sci and Emer Tech, 2009; 10: 655-660.
- Faustman C, Sun Q, Mancini R, Suman SP. Myoglobin and lipid oxidation interactions: Mechanistic bases and control. Meat Sci, 2010; 86: 86-94.
- Zhang X, Deyong L, Meng Q, He C, Ren L. Effect of mulberry leaf extracts on color, lipid oxidation, antioxidant enzyme activities and oxidative breakdown products of raw ground beef during refrigerated storage. J Food Quality, 2016; 39: 159-170.
- Fernandes VRT, Maria LRSF, Jane MGM, Vera LFS, Eliane G, et al. Yacare caiman (Caiman yacare) trim hamburger and sausage subjected to different smoking techniques. J Sci Food Agri, 2014; 94(3): 468-472.
- Murphy SC, Gilroy D, Kerry JF, Buckley DJ, Kerry J.P. Evaluation of surimi, fat and water content in a low/no added pork sausage formulation using response surface methodology. Meat Sci, 2004; 66: 689–701.
- Jo C, Jin SK, Ahn DU. Color changes in irradiated cooked pork sausage with different fat sources and packaging during storage. Meat Sci, 2000; 55: 107–113.
- Akamittath JG, Brekke CJ, Schanus EG. Lipid oxidation and color stability in restructured meat systems during frozen storage. J Food Sci, 1990; 55: 1513-1517.
- Barbut S. Effects of chemical acidification and microbial fermentation on the rheological properties of meat products. Meat Sci, 2005; 71(2): 397-401.
- Rohlik B, Pipek P, Panek J. The effect of natural antioxidants on the colour of dried/cooked sausages. Czech J Food Sci, 2010; 28(4): 249–257.
- Morrissey PA, Sheehy PJA, Galvin K, Kerry JP, Buckley DJ. Lipid stability in meat and meat products. Meat Sci, 1998; 49: 73–86.
- Campagnol PCB, Fries LLM, Terra NN, Santos BA, Furtado A S. Salame elaborado com Lactobacillus plantarum fermentado em meio de cultura de plasma suino. Ciencia Tecnode Alimentos, 2007; 27(4): 883–889.
- Mc Carthy TL, Kerry JP, Kerry JF, Lynch PB, Buckley DJ. Assessment of the antioxidant potential of natural food and plant extracts in fresh and previously frozen pork patties. Meat Sci, 2000; 57: 177-184.
- Lynch MP, Faustman C. Effect of Aldehyde Lipid Oxidation Products on Myoglobin. J Agri Food Chem,2000; 48(3): 600-604.
- Nunez de Gonzalez MT, Hafley BS, Boleman RM, Miller RK, Rhee KS, et al. Antioxidant properties of plum concentrates and powder in precooked roast beef to reduce lipid oxidation. Meat Sci, 2008; 80(4): 997– 1004.
- Khaleghi A. Kasaai R, Khosravi-Darani K, Rezaei K. Combined use of black barberry (Berberis crataegina L.) extract and nitrite in cooked beef sausages during the refrigerated storage. J Agr Sci Tech, 2016; 18: 601-614.
- Kennedy C, Buckley DJ, Kerry JP. Influence of different gas compositions on the short-termstorage stability of motherpackaged retail-ready lamb packs. Meat Sci, 2005; 69(1): 27–33.
- Kerry JP, O’Sullivan MG, Buckley DJ, Lynch PB, Morrissey PA. The effects of dietary 𝛼-tocopheryl acetate supplementation and modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) on the quality of lamb patties. Meat Sci, 2000; 56(1): 61–66.
- Ismail H A, Lee E J, Ko KY, Ahn D U. Effects of aging time and natural antioxidants on the color, lipid oxidation and volatiles of irradiated ground beef. Meat Sci, 2008; 80:582–591.
- Nam KC, Ahn D U. Effects of ascorbic acid and antioxidants on the color of irradiated ground beef. J Food Sci, 2003; 68: 1686–1690.
- Hunt M C, Sorheim O, Slinde E. Color and heat denaturation of myoglobin forms in ground beef. J Food Sci,1999; 64: 847-851.
- Schmidt G R. Processing and fabrication. Muscle as food. (Academic Press, New York, USA),1986;201–239.
- Young SL, Sarda X, Rosenberg M. Micro-encapsulating properties of whey proteins. 1. Micro-encapsulation of anhydrous milk fat. J Dairy Sci,2004; 76: 2868–2877.
- Lauritzsen K, Martinsen G. Copper induced lipid oxidation during salting of cod (Gadus morhua). J Food Lipids,1999; 6: 299-315.
- Yu LL, Scanlin L, Wilson J, Schimdt, G. Rosemary extracts as inhibitors of lipid oxidation and color change in cooked turkey products during refrigerated storage. J Food Sci, 2006; 67(2): 582-585.
- Demeyer DI, Verplaetse A, Gistelinck M. Fermentation of meat: an integrated process. Food Chem Bio, 986; 41(1): 131-140.
- Jin Z, Li Y, Ren R, Qin N. Yield, nutritional content, and antioxidant activity of Pleurotus ostreatus on corncobs supplemented with herb residues. Microbiology, 2018; 46: 24-32.
- Rather S A, Masoodi F A, Akhter R, Rather J A, Shiekh K A. Advances in use of natural antioxidants as food additives for improving the oxidative stability. Madridge J Food Tech, 2016; 1:10-17.
- Coutinho de Oliveira T L, de Carvalho S M, de AraujoSoares R, Andrade M A, das Gracas Cardoso, M, et al. Antioxidant effects of Satureja montana L. essential oil on TBARS and color of mortadella-type sausages formulated with different levels of sodium nitrite. LWT-Food Sci Technol, 2012; 45: 204–212.
- Abed N E, Kaabi B, Smaali M I, Chabbouh M, Habibi K, Mejri M, et al. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Thymus capitata essential oil with its preservative effect against Listeria monocytogenes inoculated in minced beef meat. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2014, 1-11.
- Liu J-R, Yang Y-C, Shi L-S, Peng C-C. Antioxidant properties of royal jelly associated with larval age and time of harvest. J Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008; 56: 11447-11452.
- Sebranek JG, Sewalt VJH, Robbins KL, Houser TA. Comparison of natural rosemary extract and BHA/BHT for relative antioxidant effectiveness in pork sausage. Meat Sci, 2005;69: 289-296.
- Karpinska M, Borowski J, Danowska-Oziewicz M. The use of natural antioxidants in ready-to-serve food. Food Chem, 2001; 72: 5-9.
- Simitzis PE, Deligeorgis SG, Bizelis JA, Dardamani A, Theodosiou I, et al. Effect of dietary oregano oil supplementation on lamb meat characteristics. Meat Sci, 2008, 79: 217-233.
- Sharififar F, Moshafi MH, Mansouri SH, Khodashenas M, Khoshnoodi M. In vitro evaluation of antibacterial and antioxidant activities of the essential oil and methanol extract of endemic Zataria multiflora boiss. J. Food Control, 2007; 18: 800-805.
- Jamwal A, Kumar S, Bhat ZF, Kaur S. The quality and storage stability of chicken patties prepared with different additives, Nutrition & Food Science, 2015; 45 (5): 728-739.
- Nath PM, Kumar V, Praveen PK, Ganguly S. A comparative study of green tea extract and rosemary extract on quality characteristics of chevon patties. Int J Sci Environ Technol,2016; 5(3):1680-1688.
- Indumathi J, Obula reddy B. Effect of different natural antioxidant extracts on the shelf life of functional chicken meat nuggets. Int J Adv Res, 2015; 3(6): 820-828.