Document Type : Review Article
1 Department of Biotechnology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Applied Biophotonics Research Center, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
An array of age-related diseases (like diabetes mellitus type 2, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer's, osteoporosis, cancer, hypertension, atherosclerosis, and arthritis), which are originated from low-grade, chronic, sterile inflammation, called inflammaging have been increased in aged population. In line with this notion, an abundant body of evidence has been demonstrated that quasi-self-stimulations like over-nutrition and gut microbiota could produce metabolic induced inflammation called meta-inflammation. In fact, meta-inflammation which is a result of nutrient excess is a special situation of inflammaging that has a similar molecular mechanism to inflammaging and both inflammaging and meta-inflammation resulted in activating pro-inflammatory pathway. Today it has been revealed that the human diet has significant impacts on preventing meta-inflammation. As a matter of fact, nutrition is one of the most pivotal modulators of low grade- chronic inflammation which can control it. Expanding data showed that phytochemicals especially curcumin and resveratrol, melatonin and vitamin D may exert several anti-inflammatory activities in the context of meta-inflammation. Since these nutrients have pleiotropic functions for inhibiting metabolic inflammation, they could be more efficient in anti-inflammatory based therapy for meta-inflammation in comparison to other nutrients. Here we reviewed the anti-inflammatory and immuno-modulatory effects of some nutrients with pleiotropic effects on inflammation by considering their impacts on the meta-inflammination.
- Liguori I, Russo G, Curcio F, Bulli G, Aran L, Della-Morte D, et al. Oxidative stress, aging, and diseases. Clinical interventions in aging. 2018;13:757.
- Farokhimanesh S, Komeili A, Nilforoushzadeh MA, Zare M. Inflamma-miRs, Mito-miRs, and SA-miRs: Are They at the Crossroads of Inflammaging? Journal of Skin and Stem Cell. 2018;5(1-2).
- Franceschi C, Garagnani P, Vitale G, Capri M, Salvioli S. Inflammaging and ‘Garb-aging’. Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2017;28(3):199-212.
- Fülöp T, Larbi A, Witkowski JM. Human Inflammaging. Gerontology. 2019:1-10.
- Yabal M, Calleja DJ, Simpson DS, Lawlor KE. Stressing out the mitochondria: Mechanistic insights into NLRP3 inflammasome activation. Journal of leukocyte biology. 2019;105(2):377-99.
- Fulop T, Larbi A, Dupuis G, Le Page A, Frost EH, Cohen AA, et al. Immunosenescence and inflamm-aging as two sides of the same coin: friends or foes? Frontiers in immunology. 2018;8:1960.
- Franceschi C, Capri M, Garagnani P, Ostan R, Santoro A, Monti D, et al. Inflammaging. Handbook of Immunosenescence: Basic Understanding and Clinical Implications. 2018:1-31.
- Kennedy BK, Berger SL, Brunet A, Campisi J, Cuervo AM, Epel ES, et al. Geroscience: linking aging to chronic disease. Cell. 2014;159(4):709-13.
- Franceschi C, Garagnani P, Parini P, Giuliani C, Santoro A. Inflammaging: a new immune–metabolic viewpoint for age-related diseases. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2018;14(10):576.
- Franceschi C, Ostan R, Santoro A. Nutrition and Inflammation: Are Centenarians Similar to Individuals on Calorie-Restricted Diets? Annual review of nutrition. 2018;38:329-56.
- Sun J, de Vos P. Immunomodulatory Functions of Nutritional Ingredients in Health and Disease. Frontiers in immunology. 2019;10:50.
- Bielak-Zmijewska A, Grabowska W, Ciolko A, Bojko A, Mosieniak G, Bijoch Ł, et al. The Role of Curcumin in the Modulation of Ageing. International journal of molecular sciences. 2019;20(5):1239.
- Kujundžić RN, Stepanić V, Milković L, Gašparović AČ, Tomljanović M, Trošelj KG. Curcumin and its potential for systemic targeting of Inflamm-aging and metabolic reprogramming in Cancer. International journal of molecular sciences. 2019;20(5):1180.
- Simental-Mendía LE, Cicero AF, Atkin SL, Majeed M, Sahebkar A. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effect of curcuminoids on adiponectin levels. Obesity research & clinical practice. 2019.
- Clark CC, Ghaedi E, Arab A, Pourmasoumi M, Hadi A. The effect of curcumin supplementation on circulating adiponectin: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews. 2019.
- Adibian M, Hodaei H, Nikpayam O, Sohrab G, Hekmatdoost A, Hedayati M. The effects of curcumin supplementation on high‐sensitivity C‐reactive protein, serum adiponectin, and lipid profile in patients with type 2 diabetes: A randomized, double‐blind, placebo‐controlled trial. Phytotherapy Research. 2019;33(5):1374-83.
- Ferguson JJ, Stojanovski E, MacDonald-Wicks L, Garg ML. Curcumin potentiates cholesterol-lowering effects of phytosterols in hypercholesterolaemic individuals. A randomised controlled trial. Metabolism. 2018;82:22-35.
- Panahi Y, Ahmadi Y, Teymouri M, Johnston TP, Sahebkar A. Curcumin as a potential candidate for treating hyperlipidemia: a review of cellular and metabolic mechanisms. Journal of cellular physiology. 2018;233(1):141-52.
- Mollazadeh H, Cicero AF, Blesso CN, Pirro M, Majeed M, Sahebkar A. Immune modulation by curcumin: The role of interleukin-10. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. 2019;59(1):89-101.
- Abdollahi E, Momtazi AA, Johnston TP, Sahebkar A. Therapeutic effects of curcumin in inflammatory and immune‐mediated diseases: A nature‐made jack‐of‐all‐trades? Journal of cellular physiology. 2018;233(2):830-48.
- Mantzorou M, Pavlidou E, Vasios G, Tsagalioti E, Giaginis C. Effects of curcumin consumption on human chronic diseases: a narrative review of the most recent clinical data. Phytotherapy research. 2018;32(6):957-75.
- Navarro G, Martínez‐Pinilla E, Ortiz R, Noé V, Ciudad CJ, Franco R. Resveratrol and Related Stilbenoids, Nutraceutical/Dietary Complements with Health‐Promoting Actions: Industrial Production, Safety, and the Search for Mode of Action. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2018;17(4):808-26.
- Ma DS, Tan LT-H, Chan K-G, Yap WH, Pusparajah P, Chuah L-H, et al. Resveratrol—potential antibacterial agent against foodborne pathogens. Frontiers in pharmacology. 2018;9:102.
- de Sá Coutinho D, Pacheco MT, Frozza RL, Bernardi A. Anti-inflammatory effects of resveratrol: Mechanistic insights. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2018;19(6):1812.
- Paredes SD, Rancan L, García MC, Vara E, Tresguerres JA. Resveratrol and Aging. Resveratrol: State-of-the-art Science And Health Applications-Actionable Targets And Mechanisms Of Resveratrol. 2018:257.
- Tabrizi R, Tamtaji OR, Lankarani KB, Akbari M, Dadgostar E, Dabbaghmanesh MH, et al. The effects of resveratrol intake on weight loss: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. 2018:1-16.
- Cao MM, Lu X, Liu GD, Su Y, Li YB, Zhou J. Resveratrol attenuates type 2 diabetes mellitus by mediating mitochondrial biogenesis and lipid metabolism via Sirtuin type 1. Experimental and therapeutic medicine. 2018;15(1):576-84.
- Koushki M, Dashatan NA, Meshkani R. Effect of resveratrol supplementation on inflammatory markers: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clinical therapeutics. 2018;40(7):1180-92. e5.
- Asgary S, Karimi R, Momtaz S, Naseri R, Farzaei MH. Effect of resveratrol on metabolic syndrome components: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders. 2019;20(2):173-86.
- Akbari M, Tamtaji OR, Lankarani KB, Tabrizi R, Dadgostar E, Kolahdooz F, et al. The effects of resveratrol supplementation on endothelial function and blood pressures among patients with metabolic syndrome and related disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. High Blood Pressure & Cardiovascular Prevention. 2019:1-15.
- Jahanban‐Esfahlan R, Mehrzadi S, Reiter RJ, Seidi K, Majidinia M, Baghi HB, et al. Melatonin in regulation of inflammatory pathways in rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis: involvement of circadian clock genes. British journal of pharmacology. 2018;175(16):3230-8.
- Manchester LC, Coto‐Montes A, Boga JA, Andersen LPH, Zhou Z, Galano A, et al. Melatonin: an ancient molecule that makes oxygen metabolically tolerable. Journal of pineal research. 2015;59(4):403-19.
- Valcavi R, Dieguez C, Azzarito C, Edwards C, Dotti C, Page M, et al. Effect of oral administration of melatonin on GH responses to GRF 1–44 in normal subjects. Clinical endocrinology. 1987;26(4):453-8.
- Majidinia M, Reiter RJ, Shakouri SK, Yousefi B. The role of melatonin, a multitasking molecule, in retarding the processes of ageing. Ageing research reviews. 2018;47:198-213.
- Bahrami M, Cheraghpour M, Jafarirad S, Alavinejad P, Cheraghian B. The role of melatonin supplement in metabolic syndrome: A randomized double blind clinical trial. Nutrition & Food Science. 2019.
- Doosti-Irani A, Ostadmohammadi V, Mirhosseini N, Mansournia MA, Reiter RJ, Kashanian M, et al. The Effects of Melatonin Supplementation on Glycemic Control: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Hormone and Metabolic Research. 2018;50(11):783-90.
- Akbari M, Ostadmohammadi V, Mirhosseini N, Lankarani KB, Tabrizi R, Keshtkaran Z, et al. The effects of melatonin supplementation on blood pressure in patients with metabolic disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of human hypertension. 2019:1.
- Akbari M, Ostadmohammadi V, Tabrizi R, Lankarani KB, Heydari ST, Amirani E, et al. The effects of melatonin supplementation on inflammatory markers among patients with metabolic syndrome or related disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Inflammopharmacology. 2018;26(4):899-907.
- Hanel A, Carlberg C. Vitamin D and evolution: pharmacologic implications. Biochemical pharmacology. 2019.
- Colotta F, Jansson B, Bonelli F. Modulation of inflammatory and immune responses by vitamin D. Journal of autoimmunity. 2017;85:78-97.
- Cozzolino M, Elli F, Ciceri P, Ottaviano E, Conte F. Calcium and Phosphate Physiology. Critical Care Nephrology: Elsevier; 2019. p. 345-9. e1.
- Lotfi‐Dizaji L, Mahboob S, Aliashrafi S, Vaghef‐Mehrabany E, Ebrahimi‐Mameghani M, Morovati A. Effect of vitamin D supplementation along with weight loss diet on meta‐inflammation and fat mass in obese subjects with vitamin D deficiency: A double‐blind placebo‐controlled randomized clinical trial. Clinical endocrinology. 2019;90(1):94-101.
- Ding C, Wilding JP, Bing C. 1, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 protects against macrophage-induced activation of NFκB and MAPK signalling and chemokine release in human adipocytes. PloS one. 2013;8(4):e61707.
- Mirhosseini N, Rainsbury J, Kimball SM. Vitamin D supplementation, serum 25 (OH) D concentrations and cardiovascular disease risk factors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Frontiers in cardiovascular medicine. 2018;5:87.