Document Type : Original Article
Department of Food Science and Technology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Xylitol is a pentahydroxypentane, which has high functional properties in food and drug industries. Biotechnology method has been investigated to overcome the drawbacks of xylitol chemical manufacturing. The effect of temperature, agitation speed, pH, and xylose concentration variables on xylitol production by Candida kefyr (ATCC 38296) was studied. The qualitative and quantitative of produced xylitol were evaluated by thin layer chromatography and high-performance liquid chromatography, respectively. The process optimization was done using response surface methodology (RSM) combine statistical experimental factorial designs. The 3D plots of xylitol production were proven to have the dependency and interaction between variables. The predicted results were close to the experimental results, which showed that the quadratic equation obtained from RSM was efficient. The dependency of xylitol yield on the interaction between variables was proven. Optimal levels of process variable were temperature of 28.15ºC, agitation speed of 132.34 rpm, pH value of 6.05, and xylose concentration of 58.90 g/L. On the third day of fermentation, the maximum yield was achieved (15.88 g/L). This is the first report of producing xylitol by Candida kefyr which has strong potential for bioconversion of xylose to xylitol with maximum yield and properties. This natural polyalcohol has desirable physicochemical and functional properties either in foods or in medicines.
- Vásquez MP, Bezerra M, Souza D, Pereira N. RSM analysis of the effects of the oxygen transfer coefficient and inoculum size on the xylitol production by Candida guilliermondii. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry. 2006;129(1-3):256-64.
- Enshaeieh M, Abdoli A, Madani M, Bayat M. Recycling of lignocellulosic waste materials to produce high-value products: single cell oil and xylitol. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. 2015;12(3):837-46.
- Ramesh S, Muthuvelayudham R, Rajesh Kannan R, Viruthagiri T. Statistical optimization of process variables for corncob hemicellulose hydrolysate to xylitol by Debaryomyces hansenii var hanseii. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2013;5:186-96.
- Mareczky Z, Fehér A, Fehér C, Barta Z, Réczey K. Effects of pH and aeration conditions on xylitol production by Candida and Hansenula yeasts. Periodica Polytechnica Chemical Engineering. 2016;60(1):54-9.
- Cheng K-K, Ling H-Z, Zhang J-A, Ping W-X, Huang W, Ge J-P, et al. Strain isolation and study on process parameters for xylose-to-xylitol bioconversion. Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment. 2010;24(1):1606-11.
- Bura R, Vajzovic A, Doty SL. Novel endophytic yeast Rhodotorula mucilaginosa strain PTD3 I: production of xylitol and ethanol. Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology. 2012;39(7):1003-11.
- Jakeer S. Exploiting innate and imported fungal capacity for xylitol production. Fungal Biorefineries: Springer. 2018. p107-20.
- Suzuki T, Yokoyama S-i, Kinoshita Y, Yamada H, Hatsu M, Takamizawa K, et al. Expression of xyrA gene encoding for D-xylose reductase of Candida tropicalis and production of xylitol in Escherichia coli. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering. 1999;87(3):280-4.
- Lugani Y, Sooch BS. Insights into fungal xylose reductases and its application in xylitol production. Fungal Biorefineries: Springer; 2018. p 121-44.
- Dahiya JS. Xylitol production by Petromyces albertensis grown on medium containing D-xylose. Canadian Journal of Microbiology. 1991;37(1):14-8.
- Leathers T, Gupta S. Xylitol and riboflavin accumulation in xylose-grown cultures of Pichia guilliermondii. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 1997;47(1):58-61.
- Dominguez JM, Gong CS, Tsao GT. Production of xylitol from D-xylose by Debaryomyces hansenii. Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals: Springer; 1997. p 117-27.
- Converti A, Perego P, Domínguez JM. Microaerophilic metabolism of Pachysolen tannophilus at different pH values. Biotechnology Letters. 1999;21(8):719-23.
- Hallborn J, Walfridsson M, Airaksinen U, Ojamo H, Hahn-Hägerdal B, Penttilä M, et al. Xylitol production by recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature Biotechnology. 1991;9(11):1090.
- Vajzovic A, Bura R, Kohlmeier K, Doty SL. Novel endophytic yeast Rhodotorula mucilaginosa strain PTD3 II: production of xylitol and ethanol in the presence of inhibitors. Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology. 2012;39(10):1453-63.
- Kim J, Han K, Koh Y, Ryu Y, Seo J. Optimization of fed-batch fermentation for xylitol production by Candida tropicalis. Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology. 2002;29(1):16-9.
- Ding X, Xia L. Effect of aeration rate on production of xylitol from corncob hemicellulose hydrolysate. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry. 2006;133(3):263-70.
- Meyrial V, Delgenes J, Moletta R, Navarro J. Xylitol production from D-xylose by Candida guillermondii: Fermentation behaviour. Biotechnology Letters. 1991;13(4):281-6.
- Rao RS, Prakasham R, Prasad KK, Rajesham S, Sarma P, Rao LV. Xylitol production by Candida sp.: parameter optimization using Taguchi approach. Process Biochemistry. 2004;39(8):951-6.
- Sampaio FC, de Faria JT, Passos FML, Converti A, Minin LA. Optimal activity and thermostability of xylose reductase from Debaryomyces hansenii UFV-170. Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology. 2009;36(2):293-300.
- Mohamad N, Mustapa Kamal S, Mokhtar M. Xylitol biological production: a review of recent studies. Food Reviews International. 2015;31(1):74-89.
- Unrean P, Ketsub N. Integrated lignocellulosic bioprocess for co-production of ethanol and xylitol from sugarcane bagasse. Industrial Crops and Products. 2018;123:238-46.
- Mussatto SI, Roberto IC. Xylitol production from high xylose concentration: evaluation of the fermentation in bioreactor under different stirring rates. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 2003;95(2):331-7.