Document Type : Original Article
Department of Nutrition, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Community Nutrition, School of Nutritional Sciences & Dietetics, Sports Medicine Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Community Nutrition, School of Nutritional Sciences and Dietetics, Tehran University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
Osteoporosis is now recognized as a community health problem, and its complications can impose a lot of financial and psychological damage to the community. This study was conducted to investigate the relationship between food insecurity with osteoporosis in 40 to 50-year-old non-menopausal women. In this study, 280 non-menopausal women aged 40 to 50 years old referred to the Alborz Bone Mineral Density Center (Karaj, Iran) in a case-control study were compared in two groups of 140 with osteoporosis and normal bone in 2018. The Household Information Insecurity Access Scale (HFIAS) was completed. Finally, the data were analyzed using χ2 and one-way ANOVA and correlation. In this study, there was a significant relationship between food security and osteoporosis (p<0.001). 77.9% of healthy subjects and 87.1% of people with osteoporosis had food insecurity. The associated factors with osteoporosis were the age (p=0.01), number of children (p=0.002), number of breastfeeding months (p<0.001), age of menarche (p=0.001), exposure to direct sunlight (p=0.05), physical activity (p<0.001), history of osteoporosis (p=0.018), economic status (p<0.001) and smoking (p=0.02). After the adjustment of confounding factors in the regression analysis, predictive factors for osteoporosis were the age of menarche, physical activity, and household economic status. Considering the factors associated with osteoporosis and the association of food insecurity with osteoporosis in non-menopausal women, provision of proper nutrition guidelines and preventive measures seem to be necessary.
- Sedlak CA, Doheny MO, Jones SL. Osteoporosis education programs: changing knowledge and behaviors. Public Health Nursing. 2000;17(5):398-402.
- Ahmadi A, Zamani Nour N, Rahmdel S, Faraji N, Tavakoli Olyaee R. Pattern of nutrition, physical activity level and body mass index (BMI) in women with osteoporosis. Journal of Jahrom University of Medical Sciences. 2012;10(3):27-32.
- Maalouf G, Gannage-Yared M, Ezzedine J, Larijani B, Badawi S, Rached A, et al. Middle East and North Africa consensus on osteoporosis. Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions. 2007;7(2): 31-43.
- Liu P-Y, Ilich JZ, Brummel-Smith K, Ghosh S. New insight into fat, muscle and bone relationship in women: determining the threshold at which body fat assumes negative relationship with bone mineral density. International Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2014;5(11):1452-63.
- Bączyk G, Chuchracki M, Klejewski A. The relationship between selected biochemical parameters, clinical factors and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. Ginekologia Polska. 2012;83(3):194-201.
- Genant HK, Cooper C, Poor G, Reid I, Ehrlich G, Kanis J, et al. Interim report and recommendations of the World Health Organization task-force for osteoporosis. Osteoporosis International. 1999;10(4):259-64.
- Mohammadi F, Omidvar N, Houshiar-Rad A, Khoshfetrat M-R, Abdollahi M, Mehrabi Y. Validity of an adapted Household Food Insecurity Access Scale in urban households in Iran. Public Health Nutrition. 2012;15(1):149-57.
- Mohammadzadeh A, Dorosty A, Eshraghian M. Household food security status and associated factors among high-school students in Esfahan, Iran. Public Health Nutrition. 2010;13(10):1609-13.
- Amirkhizi F, Alipour B, Farsadnaeimi A, Dahri M, Abedimanesh N, Houjeghani S, et al. Household food security status and associated factors among primary-school students in Tabriz, Iran. Nutrition and Food Sciences Research. 2014;1(1):83-4.
- Zhao L-J, Liu Y-J, Liu P-Y, Hamilton J, Recker RR, Deng H-W. Relationship of obesity with osteoporosis. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2007;92(5):1640-6.
- Hirota T, Nara M, Ohguri M, Manago E, Hirota K. Effect of diet and lifestyle on bone mass in Asian young women. The American journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1992;55, 1168-73.
- Tsai K. 1997. Osteoporotic fracture rate, bone mineral density, and bone metabolism in Taiwan. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association. 1997;96(10):802-5.
- Wang S, Lin S, Zhou Y, Wang Z. Social and behavior factors related to aged Chinese women with osteoporosis. Gynecological Endocrinology. 2008;24, 538-45.
- Nguyen T, Kelly P, Sambrook P, Gilbert C, Pocock N, Eisman J. Lifestyle factors and bone density in the elderly: Implications for osteoporosis prevention. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 1994; 9, 1339-46.
- Tankó LsB, Bruun JM, Alexandersen P, Bagger YZ, Richelsen B, Christiansen C, et al. Novel associations between bioavailable estradiol and adipokines in elderly women with different phenotypes of obesity: Implications for atherogenesis. Circulation. 2004;110(15):2246-52.
- Chandler J, Martin A, Girman C, Ross P, Love-McClung B, Lydick E, et al. Reliability of an Osteoporosis-Targeted Quality of Life Survey Instrument for use in the community: OPTQoL. Osteoporosis International. 1998;8(2):127-35.
- Hamilton C, Swan V, Jamal S. The effects of exercise and physical activity participation on bone mass and geometry in postmenopausal women: a systematic review of pQCT studies. Osteoporosis International. 2010;21(1):11-23.
- Brahm H, Piehl-Aulin K, Saltin B, Ljunghall S. Net fluxes over working thigh of hormones, growth factors and biomarkers of bone metabolism during short lasting dynamic exercise. Calcified Tissue International. 1997;60(2):175-80.
- Kartikey K, Singh G, Sah D, Singh RB, Singh AK, Takahashi T, et al. Functional food security for osteoporosis, carcinogenesis, atherosclerosis and brain degeneration. The role of functional food security in global health: Elsevier; 2019. p. 639-51.
- Payab M, Dorosty Motlagh A, Eshraghian M, Siassi F. The association between food insecurity, socio-economic factors and dietary intake in mothers having primary school children living in Ray 2010. Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology. 2012;7(1):75-84.