Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Food Science, Tehran-North Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Food Safety and Hygiene, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Active packaging usually means the incorporation of specific compounds with active function beyond the packaging materials to extend the shelf life of the foodstuffs. The aim of this study was the evaluation of active edible coating of sodium alginate (Alg) incorporated with coriander seed essential oil (CEO) on the shelf life of chicken fillets during cold storage. Overall, MIC and MBC values ranging from 0.5 to 5 (mg/mL) proved that Gram-positive bacteria were more susceptible to CEO than Gram-negative bacteria. Results showed that coatings of Alg had no significant effect on decreasing the microbial load of aerobic mesophilic, psychrotrophic bacteria, lactic acid, coliform bacteria as well as Staphylococcus aureus (p>0.05), while the coating of fillet with Alg/CEO showed a significant difference with the other treatments during 12 days of storage (p<0.05). The results also showed that TVBN, TBARS and peroxide formation in the samples treated by Alg/CEO was significantly lower than control group (p<0.05). Concerning organoleptic properties, the coating of Alg with 0.5% CEO scored higher in the sensory evaluation.
- Hamedi H, Razavi‐Rohani SM, Gandomi H. Combination effect of essential oils of some herbs with monolaurin on growth and survival of Listeria monocytogenes in culture media and cheese. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2014;38(1):304-10.
- Rahman MS. Food preservation: overview. Hand book of food preservation: CRC Press; 2007. p. 3-17.
- Tornuk F, Hancer M, Sagdic O, Yetim H. LLDPE based food packaging incorporated with nanoclays grafted with bioactive compounds to extend shelf life of some meat products. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2015;64(2):540-6.
- Fang Z, Zhao Y, Warner RD, Johnson SK. Active and intelligent packaging in meat industry. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 2017; 61:60-71.
- Van Long NN, Joly C, Dantigny P. Active packaging with antifungal activities. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2016;220:73-90.
- Sung SY SL, Tee TT, Bee ST, Rahmat AR, Rahman W, et al. Antimicrobial agents for food packaging applications. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2013;33:110-23.
- Gharibzahedi SMT, Mohammadnabi S. Effect of novel bioactive edible coatings based on jujube gum and nettle oil-loaded nanoemulsions on the shelf-life of Beluga sturgeon fillets. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2017;95:769-77.
- Sánchez-Ortega I, García-Almendárez BE, Santos-López EM, Amaro-Reyes A, Barboza-Corona JE, Regalado C. Antimicrobial edible films and coatings for meat and meat products preservation. The Scientific World Journal. 2014;2014.
- Lee KY, Mooney DJ. Alginate: properties and biomedical applications. Progress in Polymer Science. 2012;37(1):106-26.
- Artiga-Artigas M, Acevedo-Fani A, Martín-Belloso O. Improving the shelf life of low-fat cut cheese using nanoemulsion-based edible coatings containing oregano essential oil and mandarin fiber. Food Control. 2017;76:1-12.
- Shams M, Esfahan SZ, Esfahan EZ, Dashtaki HN, Dursun A, Yildirim E. Effects of climatic factors on the quantity of essential oil and dry matter yield of coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016;9(6).
- Silva F, Domingues FC. Antimicrobial activity of coriander oil and its effectiveness as food preservative. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2017;57(1):35-47.
- Jabeen Q, Bashir S, Lyoussi B, Gilani AH. Coriander fruit exhibits gut modulatory, blood pressure lowering and diuretic activities. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2009;122(1):123-30.
- CLSI. Performance standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility tests—12th edition. CLSI document M02-A12: Wayne, PA, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute; 2015.
- Benavides S, Villalobos-Carvajal R, Reyes J. Physical, mechanical and antibacterial properties of alginate film: effect of the crosslinking degree and oregano essential oil concentration. Journal of Food Engineering. 2012;110(2):232-9.
- Zeder MA. Domestication and early agriculture in the Mediterranean Basin: Origins, diffusion, and impact. Proceedings of the national Academy of Sciences. 2008;105(33):11597-604.
- Silva F, Ferreira S, Queiroz JA, Domingues FC. Coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) essential oil: its antibacterial activity and mode of action evaluated by flow cytometry. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2011;60(10):1479-86.
- Goncharenko A, Timoshchenko A. Evaluation of the grain antioxidant activity of winter rye varieties. Russian Agricultural Sciences. 2014;40(5):303-8.
- Wang Y, Xia Y, Zhang P, Ye L, Wu L, He S. Physical characterization and pork packaging application of chitosan films incorporated with combined essential oils of cinnamon and ginger. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2017;10(3):503-11.
- Song Y, Liu L, Shen H, You J, Luo Y. Effect of sodium alginate-based edible coating containing different anti-oxidants on quality and shelf life of refrigerated bream (Megalobrama amblycephala). Food Control. 2011;22(3):608-15.
- Hamzeh A, Rezaei M. The effects of sodium alginate on quality of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fillets stored at 4±2 C. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. 2012;21(1):14-21.
- Azarakhsh N, Osman A, Ghazali HM, Tan CP, Adzahan NM. Lemongrass essential oil incorporated into alginate-based edible coating for shelf-life extension and quality retention of fresh-cut pineapple. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 2014;88:1-7.
- Lu F, Ding Y, Ye X, Liu D. Cinnamon and nisin in alginate–calcium coating maintain quality of fresh northern snakehead fish fillets. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2010;43(9):1331-5.
- Raeisi M, Tabaraei A, Hashemi M, Behnampour N. Effect of sodium alginate coating incorporated with nisin, Cinnamomum zeylanicum, and rosemary essential oils on microbial quality of chicken meat and fate of Listeria monocytogenes during refrigeration. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2016;238:139-45.
- Gómez-Estaca J, De Lacey AL, López-Caballero M, Gómez-Guillén M, Montero P. Biodegradable gelatin–chitosan films incorporated with essential oils as antimicrobial agents for fish preservation. Food Microbiology. 2010;27(7):889-96.
- Michalczyk M, Macura R, Tesarowicz I, Banaś J. Effect of adding essential oils of coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) and hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis L.) on the shelf life of ground beef. Meat Science. 2012;90(3):842-50.
- Alboofetileh M, Rezaei M, Hosseini H, Abdollahi M. Antimicrobial activity of alginate/clay nanocomposite films enriched with essential oils against three common foodborne pathogens. Food Control. 2014;36(1):1-7.
- Ghasemlou M, Aliheidari N, Fahmi R, Shojaee-Aliabadi S, Keshavarz B, Cran MJ, et al. Physical, mechanical and barrier properties of corn starch films incorporated with plant essential oils. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2013;98(1):1117-26.
- Bazargani-Gilani B, Aliakbarlu J, Tajik H. Effect of pomegranate juice dipping and chitosan coating enriched with Zataria multiflora Boiss essential oil on the shelf-life of chicken meat during refrigerated storage. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. 2015;29:280-7.
- Xiong Z, Sun D-W, Pu H, Xie A, Han Z, Luo M. Non-destructive prediction of thiobarbituricacid reactive substances (TBARS) value for freshness evaluation of chicken meat using hyperspectral imaging. Food Chemistry. 2015;179:175-81.
- Shahidi F, Zhong Y. Lipid oxidation and improving the oxidative stability. Chemical Society Reviews. 2010;39(11):4067-79.
- Kargozari M, Moini S, Basti AA, Emam-Djomeh Z, Ghasemlou M, Martin IR, et al. Development of Turkish dry-fermented sausage (sucuk) reformulated with camel meat and hump fat and evaluation of physicochemical, textural, fatty acid and volatile compound profiles during ripening. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2014;59(2):849-58.
- Misharina T, Samusenko A. Antioxidant properties of essential oils from lemon, grapefruit, coriander, clove, and their mixtures. Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology. 2008;44(4):438-42.
- Raeisi M, Tajik H, Aliakbarlu J, Mirhosseini SH, Hosseini SMH. Effect of carboxymethyl cellulose-based coatings incorporated with Zataria multiflora Boiss. essential oil and grape seed extract on the shelf life of rainbow trout fillets. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2015;64(2):898-904.
- Mason RP, Sherratt SC. Omega-3 fatty acid fish oil dietary supplements contain saturated fats and oxidized lipids that may interfere with their intended biological benefits. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2016.
- Kulig D, Zimoch-Korzycka A, Król Ż, Oziembłowski M, Jarmoluk A. Effect of film-forming alginate/chitosan polyelectrolyte complex on the storage quality of pork. Molecules. 2017;22(1):98.
- Vital ACP, Guerrero A, de Oliveira Monteschio J, Valero MV, Carvalho CB, de Abreu Filho BA, et al. Effect of edible and active coating (with rosemary and oregano essential oils) on beef characteristics and consumer acceptability. PloS one. 2016;11(8):e0160535.