Document Type : Short Communication
- Maryam Aminaei 1, 2
- Fatemeh Karami 2
- Mohsen Marvibaigi 2
- Fattah Sotoodehnejadnematalahi 1
- Maryam Tajabadi Ebrahimi 3
1 Department of Biology, School of Basic Science, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Medical Genetics, Applied Biophotonics Research Center, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
3 Department of Science, Islamic Azad University, Central Branch, Tehran, Iran
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the 6th human cancer with high morbidity and mortality rate. Owing to the recent finding of anticancer effects of probiotics in various types of human cancers, the current study was conducted to assay the potential of Lactobacillus paracasei as a main microbial ingredient of dairy products in inhibition of HCC cell growth. HepG2 cell line was treated with different concentration of supernatant isolated from L. paracasei strain TD3 and MRL/MRS broth mediums as a negative control. MTT assay was performed to assess cell viability, 24 hours following treatment. MTT results demonstrated a significant decrease in HepG2 cells viability, which was directly correlated with the concentration of bacterial supernatant. Similar to the other human cancers, L. paracasei can be considered as a potential anticancer probiotic in restriction of HCC cells growth. Further studies are needed to clarify active components of L. paracasei supernatant and its potential as adjuvant therapy in HCC patients' treatment, as well.
- Qi LN, Bai T, Chen ZS, Wu FX, Chen YY, De Xiang B, et al. The p53 mutation spectrum in hepatocellular carcinoma from Guangxi, China: role of chronic hepatitis B virus infection and aflatoxin B1 exposure. Liver International. 2015;35(3):999-1009.
- Fooladi AAI, Hosseini HM, Nourani MR, Khani S, Alavian SM. Probiotic as a novel treatment strategy against liver disease. Hepatitis Monthly. 2013;13(2).
- Schlageter M, Terracciano LM, D’Angelo S, Sorrentino P. Histopathology of hepatocellular carcinoma. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;20(43):15955.
- Waghray A, O'Shea R, Pai R, Menon KN. Hepatocellular carcinoma complicating recurrent hepatitis C after liver transplantation. Hepatology. 2013;58(5):1854-5.
- Bagchi T. Traditional food & modern lifestyle: Impact of probiotics. The Indian Journal of Medical Research. 2014;140(3):333.
- Kerry RG, Patra JK, Gouda S, Park Y, Shin H-S, Das G. Benefaction of probiotics for human health: A review. Journal of Food Drug Analysis. 2018;26(3):927-39.
- Shoaib A, Dachang W, Xin Y. Determining the role of a probiotic in the restoration of intestinal microbial balance by molecular and cultural techniques. Genetics Molecular Research. 2015;14(1):1526-37.
- El Hage R, Hernandez-Sanabria E, Van de Wiele T. Emerging trends in “smart probiotics”: functional consideration for the development of novel health and industrial applications. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2017;8:1889.
- Bermudez-Brito M, Borghuis T, Daniel C, Pot B, de Haan BJ, Faas MM, et al. L. plantarum WCFS1 enhances Treg frequencies by activating DCs even in absence of sampling of bacteria in the Peyer Patches. Scientific Reports. 2018;8(1):1785.
- Seki E, Schnabl B. Role of innate immunity and the microbiota in liver fibrosis: crosstalk between the liver and gut. The Journal of physiology. 2012;590(3):447-58.
- Wan ML, El-Nezami H. Targeting gut microbiota in hepatocellular carcinoma: probiotics as a novel therapy. Hepatobiliary Surgery Nutrition. 2018;7(1):11-20.
- Faghfoori Z, Pourghassem Gargari B, Saber A, Seyyedi M, Fazelian S, Yari Khosroushahi A. Prophylactic effects of secretion metabolites of dairy lactobacilli through downregulation of ErbB-2 and ErbB-3 genes on colon cancer cells. European Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2017:1-9.
- Chang CY, Pan TM. Anticancer and antimigration effects of a combinatorial treatment of 5-Fluorouracil and Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei NTU 101 fermented skim milk extracts on colorectal cancer cells. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry. 2018;66(22):5549-55.
- Nozari S, Mohammadzadeh M, Faridvand Y, Tockmechi A, Movassaghpour A, Abdolalizadeh J. The study of extracellular protein fractions of probiotic candidate bacteria on cancerous cell line. Archives of Iranian Medicine. 2016;19(11):779-85.
- Hu P, Song W, Shan Y, Du M, Huang M, Song C, et al. Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei M5L induces cell cycle arrest and calreticulin translocation via the generation of reactive oxygen species in HT-29 cell apoptosis. Food and Function. 2015;6(7):2257-65.
- Duarte C, Gudiña EJ, Lima CF, Rodrigues LR. Effects of biosurfactants on the viability and proliferation of human breast cancer cells. AMB Express. 2014;4(1):40.