Document Type : Short Communication
1 Department of Food Hygiene and Quality Control, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
2 Food Science and Technology, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, Tehran, Iran
3 Department of Food Quality Control and Hygiene, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Biodegradable active packaging containing natural extracts derived from plants with antimicrobial properties is one alternative strategy that can be considered by the food packing industry to reduce the use of environmentally harmful synthetic polymers. Chitosan is a safe, natural, no allergen and biocompatible polymer with health benefits. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of chitosan film containing different concentrations of ajwain essential oil on some foodborne pathogenic bacteria, including Listeria monocytogenes ATCC 19118, Bacillus cereus ATCC 11778, Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 65138 and Escherichia coli O157:H7 ATCC 25922, and Vibrio parahaemolyticus ATCC 43996 with disk diffusion method was evaluated. The results showed that by increasing the concentration of essential oil, the inhibition zone’s diameters were significantly expanded (p<0.05). The maximum and minimum antimicrobial effects of essential oil were observed against S. aureus (26.73mm) and E. coli O157:H7 (11.25 mm). The results of this study confirmed that the use of chitosan-based antimicrobial films incorporated with ajwain essential oil has a remarkable antibacterial effect and therefore it can be practical in active packaging in the food industry.
- Ramos ÓL, Pereira J, Silva SI, Fernandes JC, Franco M, Lopes-da-Silva J, et al. Evaluation of antimicrobial edible coatings from a whey protein isolate base to improve the shelf life of cheese. Journal of Dairy Science. 2012;95(11):6282-92.
- Khanjari A, Karabagias I, Kontominas MJL-FS, Technology. Combined effect of N, O-carboxymethyl chitosan and oregano essential oil to extend shelf life and control Listeria monocytogenes in raw chicken meat fillets. LWT- Food Science and Technology. 2013;53(1):94-9.
- Bazargani-Gilani B, Aliakbarlu J, Tajik H. Effect of pomegranate juice dipping and chitosan coating enriched with Zataria multiflora Boiss essential oil on the shelf-life of chicken meat during refrigerated storage. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. 2015;29:280-7.
- Petrou S, Tsiraki M, Giatrakou V, Savvaidis I. Chitosan dipping or oregano oil treatments, singly or combined on modified atmosphere packaged chicken breast meat. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2012;156(3):264-71.
- Burt S. Essential oils: their antibacterial properties and potential applications in foods—a review. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2004;94(3):223-53.
- Goudarzi GR, Saharkhiz M, Sattari M, Zomorodian K. Antibacterial activity and chemical composition of Ajowan (Carum copticum Benth. & Hook) essential oil. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2011;13(2): 203-208.
- Bekhechi C, Boti JB, Bekkara FA, Abdelouahid DE, Casanova J, Tomi F. Isothymol in ajowan essential oil. Natural Product Communications. 2010;5(7):1107-10.
- Ozogul Y, Kuley E, Ucar Y, Ozogul F. Antimicrobial impacts of essential oils on food borne-pathogens. Recent Patents on Food, Nutrition & Agriculture. 2015;7(1):53-61.
- Murthy PS, Borse BB, Khanum H, Srinivas P. Inhibitory effects of ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi) ethanolic extract on A. ochraceus growth and ochratoxin production. Turkish Journal of Biology. 2009;33(3):211-7.
- Nagalakshmi S, Shankaracharya N, Naik JP, Rao LM, Technology. Studies on chemical and technological aspects of ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi (L.) Syn. Carum copticum Hiern) seeds. Journal of Food Science and Technology -Mysore. 2000;37(3):277-81.
- Oroojalian F, Kasra-Kermanshahi R, Azizi M, Bassami MR. Phytochemical composition of the essential oils from three Apiaceae species and their antibacterial effects on food-borne pathogens. Food Chemistry. 2010;120(3):765-70.
- Sharifan A, Beikmohammadi L. Antimicrobial efficiency of Iranian Ziziphora clinopodiodes essential oil on preservation of hamburger. Journal of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 2014;2(4):138-42.
- Ojagh SM, Rezaei M, Razavi SH, Hosseini SMH. Effect of chitosan coatings enriched with cinnamon oil on the quality of refrigerated rainbow trout. Food Chemistry. 2010;120(1):193-8.
- Seydim A, Sarikus G. Antimicrobial activity of whey protein based edible films incorporated with oregano, rosemary and garlic essential oils. Food Research International. 2006;39(5):639-44.
- Khajeh M, Yamini Y, Sefidkon F, Bahramifar N. Comparison of essential oil composition of Carum copticum obtained by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction and hydrodistillation methods. Food Chemistry. 2004;86(4):587-91.
- Moazeni M, Saharkhiz MJ, Hosseini AA. In vitro lethal effect of ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi L.) essential oil on hydatid cyst protoscoleces. Veterinary Parasitology. 2012;187(1-2):203-8.
- Rasooli I, Fakoor MH, Yadegarinia D, Gachkar L, Allameh A, Rezaei MB. Antimycotoxigenic characteristics of Rosmarinus officinalis and Trachyspermum copticum L. essential oils. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2008;122(1-2):135-9.
- Gracia-Valenzuela MH, Orozco-Medina C, Molina-Maldonado CJH. Efecto antibacteriano del aceite esencial de orégano (Lippia berlandieri) en bacterias patógenas de camarón Litopenaeus vannamei. Hidrobiológica 2012;22(3):201-6.
- Kedia A, Prakash B, Mishra PK, Dwivedy AK, Dubey N. Trachyspermum ammi L. essential oil as plant-based preservative in food system. Industrial Crops and Products. 2015;69:104-9.
- Vitali LA, Beghelli D, Nya PCB, Bistoni O, Cappellacci L, Damiano S, et al. Diverse biological effects of the essential oil from Iranian Trachyspermum ammi. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2016;9(6):775-86