Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Food Quality Control and Hygiene, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
2 Applied Biophotonics Research Center, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Introduction: Stevioside, a high intensity non-nutritive sweetener, is extracted from the leaves of Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni. This sweet plant native to north eastern Paraguay and is a white, crystalline and odorless powder and approximately 300 times sweeter than sucrose. Procedures for isolation of stevioside from S. rebaudiana leaves on a pilot scale mostly involve liquid extraction with such solvents as chloroform-methane, glycerol, and propylene glycol, followed by refinement involving extraction into a polar organic solvent, decolorization, coagulation, ion-exchange chromatography and crystallization.
Method: In this study, the effect of ethanol concentration (25, 50 and 75 percent) and heating techniques (Hot plate, Ohmic and Microwave) on the extraction rate of Stevia leaves Were studied. Stevioside were determined by HPLC analysis.
Results:Results indicated that heating methods do not effective on the extraction efficiency and the highest concentration of extraction obtained in 50 % of ethanol.
Conclusion: There is no significant difference between the extractions rates of different heating methods can be stated that this species efficiency of extraction does not related with microwave radiation and it depending on the microwave heat.
- Ramos ÓL, Pereira JO, Silva SI, et al. Evaluation of antimicrobial edible coatings from a whey protein isolate base to improve the shelf life of cheese. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95(11):6282-92.
- Khanjari A, Karabagias IK, Kontominas MG. Combined effect of N,O-carboxymethyl chitosan and oregano essential oil to extend shelf life and control Listeria monocytogenes in raw chicken meat fillets. LWT - Food Sci Technol. 2013;53(1):94-99.
- Bazargani-Gilani B, Aliakbarlu J, Tajik H. Effect of pomegranate juice dipping and chitosan coating enriched with Zataria multiflora Boiss essential oil on the shelf-life of chicken meat during refrigerated storage. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol. 2015;29:280-287.
- Petrou S, Tsiraki M, Giatrakou V, Savvaidis IN. Chitosan dipping or oregano oil treatments, singly or combined on modified atmosphere packaged chicken breast meat. Int J Food Microbiol. 2012;156(3):264-271.
- Burt S. Essential oils: their antibacterial properties and potential applications in foods—a review. Int J Food Microbiol. 2004;94(3):223-253.
- Goudarzi GR, Saharkhiz MJ, Sattari M, Zomorodian K. Antibacterial activity and chemical composition of Ajowan (Carum copticum Benth. & Hook) essential oil. J Agric Sci Technol. 2011;13(2):203-208.
- Bekhechi C, Boti JB, Bekkara FA, Abdelouahida DE, Casanova J, Tomi F. Isothymol in Ajowan essential oil. Nat Prod Commun. 2010;5(7):1107-1110.
- Malhotra SKK, Vijay OPP. Ajowan. Handb herbs spices. 2004;2:107-116.
- Murthy PS, Borse BB, Khanum H, Srinivas P. Inhibitory effects of Ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi) ethanolic extract on A. ochraceus growth and ochratoxin production. Turkish J Biol. 2009;33(3):211-217.
- Nagalakshmi S, Shankaracharya NB, Naik JP, Rao LJM. Studies on chemical and technological aspects of ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi (L.) Syn. Carum copticum Hiern) seeds. J Food Sci Technol. 2000;37(3):277-281.
- Oroojalian F, Kasra-Kermanshahi R, Azizi M, Bassami MRR. Phytochemical composition of the essential oils from three Apiaceae species and their antibacterial effects on food-borne pathogens. Food Chem. 2010;120(3):765-770.
- Sharifan A, Beikmohammadi L. Antimicrobial efficiency of Iranian Ziziphora clinopodiodes essential oil on preservation of hamburger. J Med Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014;2(4):0.
- Ojagh SM, Rezaei M, Razavi SH, Hosseini SMH. Effect of chitosan coatings enriched with cinnamon oil on the quality of refrigerated rainbow trout. Food Chem. 2010;120(1):193-198.
- Seydim A, Sarikus G. Antimicrobial activity of whey protein based edible films incorporated with oregano, rosemary and garlic essential oils. Food Res Int. 2006.
- Khajeh M, Yamini Y, Sefidkon F, Bahramifar N. Comparison of essential oil composition of Carum copticum obtained by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction and hydrodistillation methods. Food Chem. 2004;86(4):587-591.
- Rasooli I, Fakoor MH, Yadegarinia D, Gachkar L, Allameh A, Rezaei MB. Antimycotoxigenic characteristics of Rosmarinus officinalis and Trachyspermum copticum L. essential oils. Int J Food Microbiol. 2008;122(1-2):135-139.
- Moazeni M, Saharkhiz MJ, Hosseini AA. In vitro lethal effect of ajowan (Trachyspermum ammi L.) essential oil on hydatid cyst protoscoleces. Vet Parasitol. 2012;187(1-2):203-208.
- Gracia-Valenzuela MH, Orozco-Medina C, Molina-Maldonado C. Efecto antibacteriano del aceite esencial de orégano (Lippia berlandieri) en bacterias patógenas de camarón Litopenaeus vannamei. Hidrobiologica. 2012;22(3):201-206.
- Kedia A, Prakash B, Mishra PK, Dwivedy AK, Dubey NK. Trachyspermum ammi L. essential oil as plant based preservative in food system. Ind Crops Prod. 2015;69:104-109.
- Vitali LA, Beghelli D, Biapa Nya PC, et al. Diverse biological effects of the essential oil from Iranian Trachyspermum ammi. Arab J Chem. 2016;9(6):775-786.